• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggestions for Modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I've been using Retera's Model Studio for a bit and quite enjoyed being able to edit and adjust Warcraft 3 models as I need them.

However I am looking to get into 3D modelling properly and was wondering what some of the tools people use are that would be compatible for Classic or Reforged modelling. I've looked at 3DS Max but its a bit out of my budget lol. I don't mind paying some money for a modelling service as long as its affordable and can do what I need it to do in terms of making models for War3 Classic or Reforged. All suggestions are appreciated.

Level 29
If you want to get into 3D modeling "properly", and you are talking about polygonal modeling, which will generally be the case for games, then the usual suspects are 3ds Max and Blender.

When it comes to industry standards, I think 3ds Max is ultimately still the winner, and might always be, but I admit I didn't make 3D models in years or looked at this industry since.

Both are monolithic and contain endless buttons, options, and things you can learn and improve at, which also means they are a bit hard to get into.
In practice, for a beginner, I think the main difference between the two is that 3ds Max has a more standard UI, e.g. you have lots of buttons that you need to press with your mouse, while Blender's UI sort of pushes you into using keyboard shortcuts a lot more. Which you prefer is up to you.
Of course, most of the knowledge beyond what button or keyboard shortcut to press, is interchangeable. After all, modeling is a lot more about creativity, and understanding concepts like creating good topology, good UV seams, and such, which are not directly related to any specific program (and also sadly pretty much ignored completely by the wc3 modding community and in many cases by Blizzard as well)

When it comes to paying, Blender is of course free, while 3ds Max costs a whole lot of money.
That being said, it's almost an unmentioned rule that "industry standard" programs are generally not meant to be bought full price by amateurs/students, which is why there are usually all sorts of licenses etc. that are not the usual price you see.
Typically the idea is to get you hooked to the programs, so that once you go into the industry professionally and work in a company or build your own company, that's when you'll use their programs and pay for the full license.
Now don't get me wrong, I can't advocate here to steal anything, however if you are interested in 3ds Max, I think you might be interested in their student license, which may or may not actually check your details to see that you are in fact a student.

Last edited:
If you want to get into 3D modeling "properly", and you are talking about polygonal modeling, which will generally be the case for games, then the usual suspects are 3ds Max and Blender.

Ive gotten blender and i am currently enjoying it, just need to learn like you say how to create good topology etc but I'm getting there watching tutorials. Going to try and make the Ashbringer for a first project. Also tried creating a workable head to see how things work. Hopefully one day ill be able to produce something useful lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.