• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[suggestion] Search for skins by path?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Such an idea could also be applied to the model section where you could search for models which use a certain ingame texture. Although probably not as useful as with the skin section it could help people check for models which might match a certain style.

You could even cross link the 2 sections where you could show all models a skin affects (ingame and custom) while a model shows all skins than might affect it.

Especially with an onsight model viewer, it could lead to people finding model and skin combinations that look good but where never orignally intended.

Level 10
You could even cross link the 2 sections where you could show all models a skin affects (ingame and custom) while a model shows all skins than might affect it.

Yes, that would be neat. For example, there's a Blood Elf Guardian model that exclusively uses the Spell Breaker texture, so the few Spell Breaker skins also change how it looks (and a couple of them look rather snazzy).

Level 23
That would need some relevance factor though, because many models that use ingame textures contain quite a lot of them, and some only in very small places. I am not sure wether it would be good to see a model at the top of the list that uses a part of a specific texture for a really small thing of the model and nothing else.
Therefor there is a need of a relevance factor. But I am pretty sure that is hard to implement, because it would have to check how visible the texture, that is searched, is used for on the model.

The basic idea for the skin section is very good though. At least that's what I think.

Level 49
The OP's idea is great, and I definitely support this! Someone should PM Ralle and get him over to this thread. :)

However, DSG, there's a few flaws with you idea, mainly because, as M0rbid said, models that use in-game textures usually use them in huge amounts, and in very little parts; E.g, one texture for the hands, one for the arms, one for the chest, one of the legs, one for the boots, like 3 for the head\hair\eye glow\horns\whatever, one-five for the weapon, and a bunch of other textures for all kinds of accessories like bracers, shields, amulets, gems, etc.

Level 14
I also think this idea would be a great way to keep things organized on the site, and help Modders find what they need more efficently, if it could be successfully implemented.

And DSG, what did you mean by an onsight model viewer?

~Asomath

Status
Not open for further replies.