• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

User Keyword and Skin Search by Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I'd like to suggest adding two features:

User-Submitted Keywords
Searching for assets on Hive can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Some uploads don't have proper keywords whereas others don't have them at all. My suggestion, if not too far-fetched, would be to have a section right under the description called Keywords (like we used to before). Authors will be able to write their own, but when a resource is uploaded, users will have the option to suggest new keywords. When a user makes a suggestion, that keyword gets added below the authors'. Newly added keywords will be red to denote that it's pending (and therefore will not interact with search functions). After 3 (or more) people upvote the keyword, it becomes green and becomes relevant to searches.

Skin Search by Model
So, say I'm looking for a skin for a mountain king. Instead of searching for mountain king and obtaining results that turn something else into an approximation of a mountain king, provide users with the option to search for skins that are meant to applied to the mountain king model instead, as a filter option. Potentially a niche feature, but I've encountered the need for it more than once personally. I assume others have as well.

Thoughts?

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Very good suggestions.

With the keywords, that could also extend to tags. And I was thinking more in line with just awaiting moderator approval instead of the author (as we have many resources where the author is not active anymore). An approved keyword/tag could give exp :D.

Anyway. The description can already contain keywords. The old keywords were imported into the description.

For the skin search by model it's a good suggestion. The only time it becomes a problem is with skins for custom models. As in X makes a model and years later Y makes an alternative skin for said model.

With the keywords, that could also extend to tags.
User-submitted tags? So a user submits one and it gets enough upvotes and eventually a new tag in the Filters section appears for future searches?

An approved keyword/tag could give exp :D.
I like this. Incentives!

And I was thinking more in line with just awaiting moderator approval instead of the author (as we have many resources where the author is not active anymore).
Approval for user-submitted keywords? In case I didn't misunderstand you, I was suggesting the keywords get approved automatically as they get a certain number of votes (and perhaps get removed if downvoted before being greenlit). I suppose depending on site traffic, manual greenlighting can be quicker...

Anyway. The description can already contain keywords. The old keywords were imported into the description.
I do wonder why this was done. Does that mean the text in the description is taken into account when searching? How would the current system impact a user-submitted keyword system?

For the skin search by model it's a good suggestion. The only time it becomes a problem is with skins for custom models. As in X makes a model and years later Y makes an alternative skin for said model.
In the case of custom models, perhaps add a section to the model page itself that links to skins made specifically for it. The uploader will link the URL of the model when they upload their custom texture and stuff gets linked in the backend. Or users can suggest [Uploaded Skin] is compatible with [Custom Model], and a moderator can verify it and greenlight it, and that user gains exp. A (albeit niche) use-case for that would be Ujimasa's optimised SD models that have variants, (eg Alchemist and Derivatives - a custom alchemist skin would be able to fit the Alchemist (Optimized) variant, for example, so users can point custom alchemist skins to that resource).

Last edited:
Level 34
In the case of custom models, perhaps add a section to the model page itself that links to skins made specifically for it. The uploader will link the URL of the model when they upload their custom texture and stuff gets linked in the backend. Or users can suggest [Uploaded Skin] is compatible with [Custom Model], and a moderator can verify it and greenlight it, and that user gains exp. A (albeit niche) use-case for that would be Ujimasa's optimised SD models that have variants, (eg Alchemist and Derivatives - a custom alchemist skin would be able to fit the Alchemist (Optimized) variant, for example, so users can point custom alchemist skins to that resource).
I was searching for zombie skins to use on the zombie ghoul made by Ujimasa, but the model list for all the zombie skins i found include only a few, but not the model i wanted to try, so instead i have to download all the skins and try it one by one myself with the desired model :c

Status
Not open for further replies.