• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Steam-Punk Art Contest POLL (Concept art contest #2)

Which one was best?

• [url=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/792911-post115.html]Volvox's Submission[/url]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hive Workshop

Steam-Punk Art Contest Poll

Welcome to the poll for the latest Art Contest. Please read through the rules before voting!

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You can not vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You can not create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.

Last edited:
i thought this competition was ditched or something cos i didnt hear anything ever since it finished.
anyways, i would have to say communist_orc's tank/ship thing is like 100% made of steampunk and fits the competition really well.
however, xatago's robot thing looked really good while fitting the theme. i liked the steam train-like looking body. also using the cattle scoop thingy for the crotch was a really smart idea too. should have coloured it though.
for just_spectating's work, i thought the little gear things at the front was a really good detail. the rest of the machine should have had that kind of detail, not just the massive gears. it makes it look like bunch of blocks. the shoulderpads (i think) at the front didnt have anything on it.
volvox was the only one out of us that decided to do a full artwork, like with landscapes and extra details like birds flying around. not just focusing on the machine. i like the laundry line. i thought that was quite amusing but the anchor thing looks like an axe to me. and the air balloon looked too fragile.
ike_ike just got lazy (-_-*). he should have finished it cos it was looking quite good. i like how there is a variaty of body bits, some would be armored, some have wire and some have gears, etc.
REP ATTACK!!!!! on everyone!!!

Level 15
Here's my really short personal review :D

ike_ike - too bad you didn't get to finish yours, i'm sure that would have earned you way higher place

Xatoga - a great idea indeed, but got owned by the scanner

Just_Spectating - smooth shading, a bit awkward perspective, nice overall but i think you overdid with the textures

communist_orc - i love your shading and details, the amount of effort is obvious

Pyramidhe@d - imo the best piece here, i just wish it wasn't a side-view

My humble vote goes to Pyramidhe@d for the greatest idea

Judging

ike_ike

Appearance: 9/15
There are few slightly noticeable flaws within this piece. The lack of colour takes a major toll on this and the few mistakes in the proportions/perspective. For example, the pelvis seems a bit wide. Aside from that this piece was pretty well executed.
Creativity: 12/15
The appearance of a robot is usually pretty generic, but I think the ideas you took were quite unique. The bent back legs, the missing parts, and the lack of plating on one of his legs. Those were all great ideas.
Technique: 5/10
The pencil marks were a bit messy.
Theme: 6/10
The problem is that there's a big difference between futuristic and steam-punk. To be honest with you I think you failed in the theme department a bit. Nonetheless, you got the rickety old machine thing down well.

Total: 32/50
Votes: 0
Final Score: 32/100

Xatoga

Appearance: 8/15
Much like ike_ike's submission the lack of colour is going to take a major toll on your piece. Another problem with it is that all the different parts are awfully jumbled. I understand you were aiming for the "complicated" appearance but it looks like you just took a bunch of random pieces and threw them into a pile. For example, I can't really tell where the foot on his left leg should be.
Creativity: 15/15
I've never seen anything like this before. The train on his chest and the wheel on his shoulder are just the most unexpected things to see on such a thing, yet you managed to place them on in realistic and appropriate spots.
Technique: 6/10
Very smooth strokes, but perhaps some shading would have done you good.
Theme: 7/10
Your flaws in appearance were your saviour in theme. Much like the previous piece it seemed quite futuristic and lacked the steam-punk theme it needed, but the random parts really pulls people's focus away from the fact that this is essentially a robot.

Total: 36/50
Votes: 8
Final Score: 35.9/100

Just_Spectating

Appearance: 10/15
There are some major flaws in the positioning, perspective, and proportions and the white outline around it doesn't help either. But the nice shading job is something you should be proud of.
Creativity: 12/15
The "legs" are the things that really get me interested. Instead of the expected, wheels, you decided to make these cylinder shaped legs with robotic feet on the bottom, and you actually pulled it off really well. Good job.
Technique: 4/10
The way you chose to execute different parts of this piece surprised me. Some parts where really smudged and thick, while others were really smooth and basic. The style just seems to jump around from part to part. Another major problem is the heavy use of filters. It really ruins the perspective, because they are placed at a horizontal angle, and look just plain unrealistic.
Theme: 8/10
The weaponry and the insane amounts of pollutants it's putting into the air seems realistic and gives it a very modern steam-punk appearance. Unlike most of the other submissions it appears to be something controlled by man, and not a futuristic device with it's own artificial intelligence.

Total: 34/50
Votes: 1
Final Score: 35.17/100

communist_orc

Appearance: 14/15
I would have moved some of the stuff around and fixed up the angles here and there. The barrier on the front looks oddly placed, it seems to curve away from the train, and the mat in front of the door is at a really weird angle as well. As for appearance, those are my only major concerns, the shading is lovely and the detail is outstanding.
Creativity: 10/15
It could've been more unique, it's basically just your average train, but it does have a few twists, and that's where all your points come from; Something that resembles a water wheel for wheels, a heavy ship-like front, uniquely placed steam pipes, and a canon mounted upon the front.
Technique: 8/10
The style is the same throughout the entire piece and the use of photoshop has allowed you to give it such vibrant colours and lighting.
Theme: 10/10
This is a great example of steam-punk. There's not much more to say.

Total: 46/50
Votes: 16
Final Score: 62.18/100

PyramidHe@d

Appearance: 12/15
I noticed that in a lot of spots the highlights were white, versus brighter shades of the colour you were using. Though that appears to be part of the style it still killed my love for this piece a bit. Another concern of mine is the angle that you drew this at. I think it would have been cool to be able to see this from a different angle, the one you chose really defeats the 3 Dimensional appearance it needs.
Creativity: 8/15
It's basically your every day transformer/mech styled robot. The only really unique part of this was the shape of the chest and the weapon choice.
Technique: 7/10
Again, nice vibrant colours, I really like how well everything stands out. Though I think the colour of some of the shadows was a bit off. I like the copy and paste background and such, that added a nice finishing touch to it as well.
Theme: 7/10
It seems like another giant robot, but less futuristic then most of the others. Though I do like the use of gears and gigantic versions of modern day items like rifles and swords.

Total: 34/50
Votes: 19
Final Score: 55.59/100

Volvox

Appearance: 7/15
The colours were really smudged and splotchy and the background was really unrealistic. On the up side the proportions and perspective are very nice.
Creativity: 9/15
The clothing line and birds were a unique touch, but aside from that it's pretty generic.
Technique: 5/10
It needed some touch-ups. For example, you really needed to remove whatever white that leaked through from in behind the colours. Right now it looks really faded.
Theme: 3/10
I wouldn't really consider a blimp to be steam-punk. It's basically a piece of cloth filled with helium.

Total: 24/50
Votes: 0
Final Score: 24/100

And the winners are...

1st Place: communist_orc

2nd Place: PyramidHe@d
3rd Place: Xatoga

Status
Not open for further replies.