1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Starcraft 2 Modeling, why is it failing?

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by BlinkBoy, Apr 19, 2012.

1. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, things really got more complicated with the release of Starcraft 2, there's a whole freaking story here. Tried modding a little with sc2 and its capabilities and was really happy that it had all these awesome features but as it turned out I wasn't getting the desired results. The reason was that I wasn't skilled and didn't have the necessary experience to produce a aesthetically appealing result. Sure I`t makes lights and shadows instantly and with little effort but it wasn't turning out the way I wanted. That`s when I realized that it needed a whole different approach that the way I used to work with wc3. It took me some time, Years to make a terrain look good with the wc3 engine. It would take more for sc2, that includes understaning the mammoth galaxy editor and I'm still discovering stuff in wc3. Modeling would be more demanding but not for some people. I was thinking of switching to sc2 modding but I probably won't since after I finish my project I'll retire.
    Good luck to all those enthusiastic mooders out there who'll take on sc2 modding!

2. somen00b

somen00b

Resources:
    Resources:
    I doesn't help that the policies on a lot of popular starcraft II sites (including this one) on what you can and can't upload are too freaking strict for no reason!

3. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    When I was model moderator. I wasn't really too strict, but atleast the resource had to be usefull.

4. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I didn't see many resources rejected. Unless of course you imply that rejecting rips is douche in some way.
    As from personal perspective, making SC2 assets in any form of serious way would require professional tools, sculpting softwares even.

That, and honestly if I was to spend so much effort I'd think twice, likely ending up selling the assets on unity store or wherever.
    I think SC2 modding art wise, is doomed to either assets of quality that is not quite up there, rips or lame geomerges akin to what "artists" from the so called Upheaval Arts do.

5. BallisticTerrain

BallisticTerrain

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Like is said the first post, portraits are one of the main things holding modelers back. Making a facial rig and lip syncing it are difficult and require very expensive software, and just making those high res portrait models is very time consuming. And after all that, you still have to render the portrait animations at a very high quality to make them fit.

6. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Well I've been looking into the Sc2 Art Tools and things don't look that hard to do. Atleast they autobake IK animations, so that's good.

The bigger problem I see right now are normal maps and portraits. Portraits need sculping and good rigging. High quality normal maps are painfull since they require both 3D and 2D skills on shape in order to be made, but with just 2D skills you can make good normal maps if you know wtf you are doing.

The particle and ribbon systems are way more complex, but with time one can learn to use them. (They are extremely powerfull). Physics and rigid body rigging for sc2 looks quite stupid to be honest.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, everything you can make in a Wc3 model, you can do it in Sc2. Blizzard left on purpose a lot of backward compatibility objects. You can also make portraits wc3 style.

7. marioeh

marioeh

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi guys, First time posting.

I've made a ton of maps and helped on a ton of maps for WC3 back in the days when this game was booming and the custom game world was extremally large.

I still map today, however online is filled with bots and games that never start -.- so i do it for enjoyment.

I do not like the SC2 editor. Yes ok, it has 1000x more possabilities than the WC3 editor does, but in all honesty, when i started using the wc3 editor and made basic maps, i picked it up within a few weeks and was making campaigns. By far i was no where near great at map making, buut people seemed to enjoy them.

I find taht with the SC2 edtor, it's just too complex. Sure, the possabilities are there, but you really need to sit down for a month to learn the basics.

I feel that if they made a 'simplified SC2 editor for dummies' style SC2 map maker it would be ok (Also a LAN option would be nice lol). As for the modeling, the customizations do seem to be done via mixing and matching in-game models for SC2. That's what i think anyway. I remember see'ing the tanks map and going "OMG!!!!! Custom models look sick!!!!!" back in the day :p

anyway, sorry if that sounded like a rant, but it's been a while since i was in a forum for wc3. Missed it :)

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No, it takes months to learn all the basics but that is because it has a lot more areas to learn. You can learn the basics of an individual area far faster than WC3 since SC2 makes a lot more sense.

You honestly telling me that special cases are superior to SC2's generic implementation? In SC2 you can make something like Death Bolt and change it to target anything, in WC3 it was stuck healing undead and damaging living.

9. FockeWulf

FockeWulf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes its the truth, special cases are superior to the "generic implementation" because that's what is being made 90% - or more - of the time.

In addition this "generic implementation" is very poorly designed with bad database algorithms (therefore very long load times) and other stuff.

Only a tiny fraction of those who mod actually have any gumption to make "total conversions" they just want to modify gameplay a little bit.