• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft 2 better than Starcraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Hello!

I was wondering, we all fell in love with Starcraft when it came out and it was the game that made Blizzard a powerhouse !

So,the idea is, now that Starcraft 2 is knocking at our door, will it be better than its older brother?

For the record, Starcraft :

''Many of the industry's journalists have praised StarCraft as one of the best and most important video games of all time, and for having raised the bar for developing real-time strategy games. StarCraft's multiplayer is particularly popular in South Korea, where professional players and teams participate in matches, earn sponsorships, and compete in televised tournaments.''

Will Stracraft 2 be better than Starcraft? Why?

Well,let's share some thoughts about this.:wink:

Level 13
Starcraft 2 will be better than Starcraft 1 mostly because in my opinnion Blizzard took the "safe route of sequels", as in just giving the old game new graphics and some changes. In case of RTS games that's new units and some gameplay mechanics which give some advantages, but don't exactly change the game completely.

Starcraft 2 also has a better map editor so that means way better custom maps.

Not sure will Starcraft 2 be as balanced as Starcraft 1 thought.

Level 24
Starcraft 2 will be better than Starcraft 1 mostly because in my opinnion Blizzard took the "safe route of sequels", as in just giving the old game new graphics and some changes. In case of RTS games that's new units and some gameplay mechanics which give some advantages, but don't exactly change the game completely.

Hmm,what about sales worldwide?

Level 22
Maybe they will be in the editor like the Medic also scrapped due to her ineffectivity on the sc2 battle field. SC2 is better cause it combines all that SC1 has + War3 has + much more, said briefly. The grahpics and presence of cliffs, canyons, a planet far from the platform make it the best ever.

Level 2
I'd say that the story about Imortals is kind a bleh.. and bad points go to blizzard for taking out the dragoon and Firebat.

But the game itself should be refreshing. not raising much dust about it. :3

You will be able to use/add dragoons and firebats and all the classic units on the map editor but they wont be in singleplayer and normal online mode just go read the FAQ on there forums many map editor questions have been answerd there

Level 15
Blizzard really just replaced the Dragoon with the stalker, and replaced the FB with the Marauder, both units are very similar, but introduce new gameplay mechanics. The Stalkers Blink ability is an example of a new gameplay mechanic, as proper micro of the ability can decimate entire armies, yet the unit still has hard-counters that will completely destroy it. The game so far is pretty well balanced in my opinion.

In my opinion, yes, SC2 will become a very popular esport, and will most likely be as popular as SC1.

Level 24
post-14673-1183231890.jpg

I'll miss the Dragoon, it was a cool unit, especially the voice!
It was so awesome and robotic and it fit the portrait perfectly :sad:

But, The Reaper is a great unit, especially in game, I'm stoked to play the Terrans just for this unit!

reaper_2.jpg

Level 1
I think will be better because if it will fail the whole population of Coreea will do mass suicide. :grin::grin::grin:

I hope it will be good.

Level 27

If they balanced SC perfectly, why can't they balance something else too?

Level 9
I think people are missing the point of the question, Starcraft 1 was revolutionary in its time as it was a very unique game at the time and expanded greatly on the RTS community, breaking records in sales on the PC. The question is I think: Will Starcraft 2 be just as great or even greater given the time it will be released in? Will it raise the standards and the bar for what makes a great and memorable RTS?

Level 27
Reapers are useful only if your enemy isn't an idiot and just sits around waiting for you to harass him. They are extremely weak, and are only good for early game harassment. Yes, they do look cool, but they're not all they're cracked up to be.

Have you ever heard about Hit & Run Tactics? They perfectly fit the terran becauce of their mobility. Besides, there are medivacs you know.

I think people are missing the point of the question, Starcraft 1 was revolutionary in its time as it was a very unique game at the time and expanded greatly on the RTS community, breaking records in sales on the PC. The question is I think: Will Starcraft 2 be just as great or even greater given the time it will be released in? Will it raise the standards and the bar for what makes a great and memorable RTS?

The fact that they haven't screwed up the name of Starcraft or any other trademark of theirs plus the godly Galaxy editor they made is enough to name it the game of the year.

Level 13
If they balanced SC perfectly, why can't they balance something else too?

Because I feel like sheer luck played a huge factor in balancing SC. Also with the logic that "since they did it once they'll do it again" all sequels on the gaming industry should be better than the first and no mistakes would be made. However, this isn't so.

Level 8
Indeed ,the Galaxy Editor is a masterpiece,original and new !

But as for sales ,Starcraft 2 will just be a shadow of what Starcraft was .

Modern Warfare 2 wasn't a shadow of Modern Warfare 1 in terms of sales (they've made over $1 billion now from that game). I'm sure with all the advertising for Starcraft 2, the media buzz, the legacy, etc it will sell far more than the original.

The sheer CONTENT in this game... compared to most games, the amount of content and polish makes it worth three and not just one game (multiplayer, campaign, and the Galaxy Editor + custom games). Most games nowadays are made in two to three years, while Starcraft 2 has been in development since 2003 (plus one year of delay in 2005), making it six years in development. This game will be very awesome ^.^

Level 4

I think starcraft 2 will meet all of this criteria, it will be just as good as starcraft 1 probably even for it's time. I don't care about sales but you mention below does it have what it takes to be a great and memorable RTS? YES!, just look at those videos of the gameplay it's fantastic and offers so much to the RTS genre that the RTS genre has been afraid to even touch because of starcraft 1.

Although just to give you one good way to look at the game when it comes out, I said I think it will be great compared to SC1 and I didn't say Brood War. This game is going to have bugs and balance issues that BOTHER the noobs and the pros alike. Great games take time and great balance and clean bug-free code takes a lot of testing and this testing is not complete until the game has been in release status for YEARS. And also Brood war has the advantage of flexibility because it could see the weaknesses with much clearer eyes and had more to offer than stat changes for balance. And I feel that starcraft 2 is going to have to wait until it gets some new units to do the same. (I almost never use marines without medics in BW, which makes me think if I went back to SC1 what kind of trouble would I be in?).

So give the game a fair chance and make your judgement on it's greatness after it's had time to mature because it took more than just a few unit additions to make this game as perfect as it is compared to the first release.(They always say release versions have a way of exposing bugs the betas never could, I'm guessing that's because release versions have had people with more time to think about it(I mean balance bugs here)).

And since you mentioned sales I'll take a quick guess. Sales will be record high for the RTS genre might do something against the PC type game, possibly a record. And will not even touch console games because people insist that consoles are a suitable way to play games that aren't HALO. I don't know why when so many games run like they are supposed to be on a PC unlike halo that plays like it should be on a console.

Level 9
Yep, StarCraft II will be better because of it's new "balanced" and the 3d engine but for all these things it requiers a lot of Memory Ram..(1.5 G for Vista/7 is kinda much IMO).

Level 21
since i have played it i can tell you about a few of the improvements. the ammount of units that can be grouped is dubbled. from 12 in the first game to 24 in the second game. the factions are however a bit inbalanced. the terrans and the protoss is the best. the zerg is terribly unbalanced.

Level 2
SC1 and SC2 are really similar but SC2 has better graphics, updated editor and some new units to fill in what they took out, but it still looks and plays like SC1, from what i've seen. But the competition is way harder now, it won't be as groundbreaking as the first.

Level 5
since i have played it i can tell you about a few of the improvements. the ammount of units that can be grouped is dubbled. from 12 in the first game to 24 in the second game. the factions are however a bit inbalanced. the terrans and the protoss is the best. the zerg is terribly unbalanced.

I thought the selection size was supposed to be unlimited?

Level 2
the races are pretty ballanced dont watch the battlereports if you look for that. David Kim won em all cus he is the best of blizzards employees. if you want some good vids then watch youtube.com/blizshouter he has good vids and he posts some everyday.

Level 6
SC2 will be known as the best RTS game yet. SC1 was one of the best when it came out. There was still one RTS game that beat it(Command and Conquer I believe).

Anyway, improve the graphics, improve Battle.net, add a huge Editor, keep the same gameplay, but change around some of the units, create a whole New way(Trilogy ideal) of playing a Campaign(which could be good or bad, we will find out). With that said, Yes, SC2 will definitely be better than the 1st. It already has a huge fan-base and even an entire country(South Korea) behind it thanks to the 1st game. It has only improved since.

The question you should be asking is, "How much better will SC2 be than its predecessor?"

But, The Reaper is a great unit, especially in game, I'm stoked to play the Terrans just for this unit!

That's how I felt, but the only thing they're good at is harassing. One stab by a Zealot and they're fucked. :p

My opinion on the is it better thing? Yes, for the obvious reasons: the graphics are better, there are some cool units, an awesome editor, etc... But I don't think it's going to raise the bar any further or cause the same hype the original Starcraft did.

Level 4
yea i think it will be better, alot better o_O not only because bilzard have more advanced program and graphics then before but because they have learned about the pros and cons of starcraft 1, blizzard in my opinion it very good at conecting with the player whether it was with starcraft 1 or warcraft3 or maybe even WoW

Level 24
That's how I felt, but the only thing they're good at is harassing. One stab by a Zealot and they're fucked. :p

My opinion on the is it better thing? Yes, for the obvious reasons: the graphics are better, there are some cool units, an awesome editor, etc... But I don't think it's going to raise the bar any further or cause the same hype the original Starcraft did.

I haven't played the beta,so I can't know :confused:

But you have to agree,they're still cool,even if they're weak.

On the graphics part,I can't argue with you on that,only that time proved countless times that graphics aren't the core of a game.

Level 21
graphics will eventually reach a limit. as for improvements: the storage capacity of the bunker as well the command center can be upgraded. (by the same upgrade.) though the ghost takes more space. however maximum energy of all units is capped at 200 rather than what it was in the first game. this is information i got by playing the game.

Level 2
Well if your talking in terms of custom games..then of course. But as for melee games, that's really just opinion. Some people don't realize that this is a sequel, not an exact replica of the original sc. That's why they took out some units and replaced them, to change the game a little bit. Some players don't like this, some do. Also, I hear that this game has hard-counters so it's like rock-paper-scissors. Though really, I think it's more then just that. Either way, sc2 sales will outsale sc1 by a lot. Pretty much everyone who's ever played sc will get sc2, and with all the new custom maps going to be made, it's going to attract people who aren't into the genre. A lot of people who bought wc3 bought it because they heard of dota(such as myself). If a game like that comes out for sc2, which is highly likely, it'll sell a lot more.

Level 24
Well if your talking in terms of custom games..then of course. But as for melee games, that's really just opinion. Some people don't realize that this is a sequel, not an exact replica of the original sc. That's why they took out some units and replaced them, to change the game a little bit. Some players don't like this, some do. Also, I hear that this game has hard-counters so it's like rock-paper-scissors. Though really, I think it's more then just that. Either way, sc2 sales will outsale sc1 by a lot. Pretty much everyone who's ever played sc will get sc2, and with all the new custom maps going to be made, it's going to attract people who aren't into the genre. A lot of people who bought wc3 bought it because they heard of dota(such as myself). If a game like that comes out for sc2, which is highly likely, it'll sell a lot more.

Starcraft I sold aproximately 11. milion !

Starcraft II costs 60$ from what I've heard. This is x3 the price of Starcraft I, it means Blizzard will literaly outmatch any other gaming company in the whole world !

I will buy it :thumbs_up:

In terms of gameplay, all I can say is ''balance'' . Starcraft II is way more balanced than Starcraft I .

Level 6
Have the beta, which consists of only ladder play, and I can say its pretty similar. However, a lot of old favorite units were removed in Starcraft 2, such as the Dragoon or Lurker, and this has taken a pretty big toll on my favor.

Right now I have to say SC1 ladder vs. SC2 ladder, SC1 is much, much better. I don't think I've ever liked a sequel to a game that involved removing something good from the original, and this is no difference.

The campaign for Wings of Liberty is definitely going to be better than the SC1 and BW campaigns, hands down, as well as custom maps.

So all-in-all, I'd say if you look at the game as something other than Starcraft's sequel, its a good game. But if you look at it like the sequel to SC and BW, then its no match.

Level 24
Have the beta, which consists of only ladder play, and I can say its pretty similar. However, a lot of old favorite units were removed in Starcraft 2, such as the Dragoon or Lurker, and this has taken a pretty big toll on my favor.

Right now I have to say SC1 ladder vs. SC2 ladder, SC1 is much, much better. I don't think I've ever liked a sequel to a game that involved removing something good from the original, and this is no difference.

The campaign for Wings of Liberty is definitely going to be better than the SC1 and BW campaigns, hands down, as well as custom maps.

So all-in-all, I'd say if you look at the game as something other than Starcraft's sequel, its a good game. But if you look at it like the sequel to SC and BW, then its no match.

Indeed !

I've started to play Starcraft again and I'm currently at the campaigns !

The feeling is so awesome, I've discovered now things that when I was young I couldn't even have thought of their existence in that game .

And to be honest, it digs up many, many memories .

Also, I find Starcraft 2 to be very stiff as in, difficult to control your base and such.

Level 2
I think it will definitely be much better than SC1. That, IMO is inevitable. BUT, I think that it won't be as revolutionary as SC1, because of the market today. Back then, games on PC were just starting to pop up. SC1 made RTS games go mainstream, which is a very hard thing to top. With all the people playing on consoles these days, I think SC2 should just match its predecessor in sales, which is an average achievement. Just my opinion.

Level 11
If zealots are killing your reapers (provided they don''t have charge, obv) you doing something horribly wrong. Also, they can still be rather useful late game, if you scout prior to attacking.

I somewhat dislike the Immortals, mainly because they exist solely as a hard counter (they deal more than double damage against armored targets, and take a max of 10 damage from incoming attacks while their shields are up).

Overall game balance is rather good, I play as random and generally it seems that all the races are about even.

Level 2
Most games nowadays are made in two to three years, while Starcraft 2 has been in development since 2003 (plus one year of delay in 2005), making it six years in development. This game will be very awesome ^.^

So, when Duke Nukem Forever comes out, it will be the best game ever? :D

Personal opinion? SC2 is extremely close to Brood War balance right now, with considerably more viable tactics, but a slightly different focus. It won't convince BW purists that literally wanted BW with better graphics (complete with all its flaws), but it will be downright godly to everyone else. That's multiplayer. When it comes to single player and editor, SC2 will win hands down, no questions asked compared to every RTS and a huge majority of other games ever made.

Will it sell? Considering the hype, the reputation and the polish, I'd say it'll probably end up one of the fastest selling PC games in history, with the end numbers close to or perhaps even above the original - of course, that still won't reach certain console numbers, but it should be a massive success nontheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.