1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Starcraft 2 better than Starcraft?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by NearbyHermit, Feb 22, 2010.

1. RoughneckLeader

RoughneckLeader

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Modern Warfare 2 wasn't a shadow of Modern Warfare 1 in terms of sales (they've made over $1 billion now from that game). I'm sure with all the advertising for Starcraft 2, the media buzz, the legacy, etc it will sell far more than the original.

The sheer CONTENT in this game... compared to most games, the amount of content and polish makes it worth three and not just one game (multiplayer, campaign, and the Galaxy Editor + custom games). Most games nowadays are made in two to three years, while Starcraft 2 has been in development since 2003 (plus one year of delay in 2005), making it six years in development. This game will be very awesome ^.^

2. Zergleb

Zergleb

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think starcraft 2 will meet all of this criteria, it will be just as good as starcraft 1 probably even for it's time. I don't care about sales but you mention below does it have what it takes to be a great and memorable RTS? YES!, just look at those videos of the gameplay it's fantastic and offers so much to the RTS genre that the RTS genre has been afraid to even touch because of starcraft 1.

Although just to give you one good way to look at the game when it comes out, I said I think it will be great compared to SC1 and I didn't say Brood War. This game is going to have bugs and balance issues that BOTHER the noobs and the pros alike. Great games take time and great balance and clean bug-free code takes a lot of testing and this testing is not complete until the game has been in release status for YEARS. And also Brood war has the advantage of flexibility because it could see the weaknesses with much clearer eyes and had more to offer than stat changes for balance. And I feel that starcraft 2 is going to have to wait until it gets some new units to do the same. (I almost never use marines without medics in BW, which makes me think if I went back to SC1 what kind of trouble would I be in?).

So give the game a fair chance and make your judgement on it's greatness after it's had time to mature because it took more than just a few unit additions to make this game as perfect as it is compared to the first release.(They always say release versions have a way of exposing bugs the betas never could, I'm guessing that's because release versions have had people with more time to think about it(I mean balance bugs here)).

And since you mentioned sales I'll take a quick guess. Sales will be record high for the RTS genre might do something against the PC type game, possibly a record. And will not even touch console games because people insist that consoles are a suitable way to play games that aren't HALO. I don't know why when so many games run like they are supposed to be on a PC unlike halo that plays like it should be on a console.

3. Illidan_Hunter

Illidan_Hunter

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yep, StarCraft II will be better because of it's new "balanced" and the 3d engine but for all these things it requiers a lot of Memory Ram..(1.5 G for Vista/7 is kinda much IMO).

4. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    since i have played it i can tell you about a few of the improvements. the ammount of units that can be grouped is dubbled. from 12 in the first game to 24 in the second game. the factions are however a bit inbalanced. the terrans and the protoss is the best. the zerg is terribly unbalanced.

5. Gorthag

Gorthag

Resources:
    Resources:
    SC1 and SC2 are really similar but SC2 has better graphics, updated editor and some new units to fill in what they took out, but it still looks and plays like SC1, from what i've seen. But the competition is way harder now, it won't be as groundbreaking as the first.

6. The_Phalanx

The_Phalanx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I thought the selection size was supposed to be unlimited?

7. SUPER-SPIRITbomber

SUPER-SPIRITbomber

Resources:
    Resources:
    the races are pretty ballanced dont watch the battlereports if you look for that. David Kim won em all cus he is the best of blizzards employees. if you want some good vids then watch youtube.com/blizshouter he has good vids and he posts some everyday.

8. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    It is, but the icons shown are capped at 24, and after that it just has numbered tabs on the side to display how many rows of units you have selected.

9. The_Phalanx

The_Phalanx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting... They wanted to make moving units easier, but wanted to keep microing require some sort of skill rofl

10. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    they merged the medic with the drop ship to create the mediwac. the dragoons were changed into immortals. too bad they removed the dark archon.

11. NearbyHermit

NearbyHermit

Resources:
    Resources:
    Viking is also awesome !

But they removed Valkyrie :(

12. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    SC2 will be known as the best RTS game yet. SC1 was one of the best when it came out. There was still one RTS game that beat it(Command and Conquer I believe).

Anyway, improve the graphics, improve Battle.net, add a huge Editor, keep the same gameplay, but change around some of the units, create a whole New way(Trilogy ideal) of playing a Campaign(which could be good or bad, we will find out). With that said, Yes, SC2 will definitely be better than the 1st. It already has a huge fan-base and even an entire country(South Korea) behind it thanks to the 1st game. It has only improved since.

The question you should be asking is, "How much better will SC2 be than its predecessor?"

13. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    it will be different, that's for sure..

14. l1lshadow

l1lshadow

Resources:
    Resources:
    SC 2 is better, loads units into CC

[​IMG]

15. Bloody_Turds

Bloody_Turds

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    I think the melee will be worse, however, im sure custom games will probably be better even than warcraft 3

16. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's how I felt, but the only thing they're good at is harassing. One stab by a Zealot and they're fucked. :p

My opinion on the is it better thing? Yes, for the obvious reasons: the graphics are better, there are some cool units, an awesome editor, etc... But I don't think it's going to raise the bar any further or cause the same hype the original Starcraft did.

17. Lemming3000

Lemming3000

Resources:
    Resources:
    yea i think it will be better, alot better o_O not only because bilzard have more advanced program and graphics then before but because they have learned about the pros and cons of starcraft 1, blizzard in my opinion it very good at conecting with the player whether it was with starcraft 1 or warcraft3 or maybe even WoW

18. NearbyHermit

NearbyHermit

Resources:
    Resources:
    I haven't played the beta,so I can't know :confused:

But you have to agree,they're still cool,even if they're weak.

On the graphics part,I can't argue with you on that,only that time proved countless times that graphics aren't the core of a game.

19. Hero_Lief

Hero_Lief

Resources:
    Resources:
    Pong.

20. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    graphics will eventually reach a limit. as for improvements: the storage capacity of the bunker as well the command center can be upgraded. (by the same upgrade.) though the ghost takes more space. however maximum energy of all units is capped at 200 rather than what it was in the first game. this is information i got by playing the game.