• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Split Dimension v1.6b (IMPROVED)

This is the first spell-map that I have created.
A nice feedback and a constructive comments are appreciated as I would like to improve, so as others.
Please, you guys can give a comment on ANY aspect, such as Triggers (how bad it is, or it could other functions to make the spell goes smoothly, leaklessly and so on).
Don't be too hard on a newbie like me k?
Cheers X)

UPDATED:
v1.6 - Added tooltips

v1.6b - Leaks are cleaned at the end of the spell process.
- Loops are used instead of Wait action.
- Hashtable is used, to create a smoothier process.
- Multiple triggers are added in order for the spell to act in a proper way.
- Special Effects had been changed for a new start.
- Change 0.10s per dimension to 0.15s per dimension to make the game less lag.
- Split Dimension now properly split per dimension according to the time set.

CREDITS:
Wraithling, for the lesson on leaks and hashtables.

IDEAS:
This spell can be used as an ultimate in AoS-style map or even a Melee Map, according to the user's need.

Keywords:
Split, Dimension, Transport, Teleport, Damage per second, MUI
Contents

Split Dimension v1.6b (Map)

Reviews
11:19, 22nd Aug 2010 The_Reborn_Devil: This spell is very simple and it's inefficient to constantly do "(Load (Key target) of (Key (Picked unit)) in Hashtable_Split_Dimension)". It doesn't leak though, but you should store things like that in...

M

11:19, 22nd Aug 2010
The_Reborn_Devil:

This spell is very simple and it's inefficient to constantly do "(Load (Key target) of (Key (Picked unit)) in Hashtable_Split_Dimension)". It doesn't leak though, but you should store things like that in variables. Remember, practice makes perfect!

Rating: Lacking

Level 31
Please, you guys can give a comment on ANY aspect, such as Triggers (how bad it is, or it could other functions to make the spell goes smoothly, leaklessly and so on).
1st of all, this section are not section for alpha stage, buggy or incomplete spells. If you want feedback of where it was wrong, trigger and script section are where you suppose to ask for it.

• Split Dimension
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Split Dimension
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 11, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) using Abilities\Spells\Demon\DarkPortal\DarkPortalTarget.mdl
          • Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 450.00 towards (Random real number between 0.00 and 360.00) degrees)
          • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing 60.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
          • Wait 0.10 seconds
3rd, you got a long long way to learn about it.

you leak sfx and location, using wait below 0.10 second are pointless cause the min wait are 0.27, any lower than it and it would be reset to 0.27.

to top up with, wait action kill the ability for the spells to be mui. you should learn more about indexing and hashtable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
This spell is looks nice but it's not MUI ....... and don't use this
  • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
but you can use this
  • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
like Prince.Zero suggest

Level 33
@Septimus
Thanks for the advice !

@Adiktuz
Well, I am new on the hive, so I don't know what to do and what to present.
I will of course, learn how to present a map and etc in the meantime.

@Prince.Zero
How to remove leaks from my spell ?
Can you write the trigger tag for me ?

@Cocobo
What is the difference of that Action ?
Does it give a different result ?

@To all
Thank you for your advice and feedback !

Level 7
ok man, i'm gonna help you.
Just to let you know i'm doing this because your a newby on this.
Also i'm not a fan of GUI
:(

Anyway... I'm not gonna send you a link at the tutorials because the tutorials SUCK man.
No offense to the hive just those long boring tutorials don't make any sense to new users.

Removing Leaks:
Here's what leaks in your spell:
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) using Abilities\Spells\Demon\DarkPortal\DarkPortalTarget.mdl
Position of Target Unit of Ability being cast leaks.
When you want to point at a position in any trigger action you have to set a variable for it.
You also use WAITS which make it non-mui. But i'm gonna go through the leak clear up first.

Like this
  • Set TempPoint = Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)
then you do:
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (TempPoint) using Abilities\Spells\Demon\DarkPortal\DarkPortalTarget.mdl
and just after that we want to destroy the effect we made, it leaks thats why.
Do this after that:
  • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
if you wanna destroy the effect later you gotta set avariable for it and then destroy it via the variable. For safety issues.
Next: This leaks as well

• Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by 450.00 towards (Random real number between 0.00 and 360.00) degrees)
Position of Triggering unit again, but this time we use a polar offset.
We need another point variable.
We already got TempPoint and we won't remove it yet betcause we're gonna use it.
We do this.
  • Set Point2 = (TempPoint) offset by 450.00 towards (Random real numbet between 0.00 and 360.00) degrees
and after that:
  • Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to (Point2)
And now we must remove the leaks of the points by calling a custom script since GUI doesn't give us an action to remove locations..

• Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)
  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Point2)
voila leaks cleared
Also remember, when you call a custom script, you call a jass function/method.
GUI Global variables always have a prefix called "udg_" before a variable.
That means every time you create a variable, it's declared as udg_variable.

Good Luck

/PS/
i want a cookie for my help! :D

Last edited:
@Septimus
Thanks for the advice !

@Adiktuz

@Prince.Zero

@Cocobo

@To all

Unit Begins casting fires when you start casting an ability, which can cause bugs because if you're fast, you can start to cast the spell then cancel it without spending any mana, so someone can spam the spell effect without mana usage or cooldowns...

Level 7
Unit Begins casting fires when you start casting an ability, which can cause bugs because if you're fast, you can start to cast the spell then cancel it without spending any mana, so someone can spam the spell effect without mana usage or cooldowns...

truth be told but :)
In some ability cases you spend the mana, just the cooldown isn't triggered.
some abilitilies like berserk or windwalk or vampiric potion don't have a casting time though, as soon as you press the button the ability is instantly executed.

Level 3

@Septimus
Thanks for the advice !

@Adiktuz

@Prince.Zero

@Cocobo

@To all
The diffrent when you begin you can run the trigger with out casting full spell .... so you can cast Example [T]hunder < the short cut is " T " you can run the trigger With T and S (stop or H for Hold Position) with out stop , so i mean you can run the trigger with out spell cooldown

Level 3
Position of Triggering unit again, but this time we use a polar offset.
We need another point variable.
We already got TempPoint and we won't remove it yet betcause we're gonna use it.
We do this.

Set Point2 = (TempPoint) offset by 450.00 towards (Random real numbet between 0.00 and 360.00) degrees

He'd better use one variable point array rather than 2 point variables, no?:/

Level 33
I don't even know this thread still active lol
And I thought that I will never success in this spell-making and never come back here again...
I just learned how to +rep and sorry for the credit lol

EDIT:
Credits goes to the person that have helped me out, sorry for the late +rep !

Level 9
Looks cool,testing it now..
EDIT:Triggers are good,but the spell are a bit weird,it does not match the title,when I saw the title I was thinking splitting the enemies into little parts but it was teleporting..

Last edited:
Level 33
Looks cool,testing it now..
EDIT:Triggers are good,but the spell are a bit weird,it does not match the title,when I saw the title I was thinking splitting the enemies into little parts but it was teleporting..

I LOL-ED !!!
Your spell imagination is nice and it would be great if you can make that ability, tear the enemy, pieces by pieces, scattering their parts of bodies ;D

@xDeathKnightx

Thanks for the compliment ^^

Level 33
To All:
Have you seen this spell before by any chance ??
I mean, from others' work
If you'd seen it, then I have nothing to say to defend myself because I'm doing this spell for fun and test out my triggering skill (well, it's my FIRST TIME dude!)
I don't know if this spell had been created by someone, if it has, please delete this spell and I'm asking for forgiveness to the real creator, truly, I don't know this spell had been created before not just on Hive, but on Earth too