• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Spells] Need help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Div

Div

Level 4
wow... it's perfect... you always get my ideas 100% perfectly
I was thinking about this: Level 1 allows 1 max mind, Level 2 allows 1 max still, level 3 and for allows 2 minds, is that possible?

Also, Did you trigger Curse of the Blind to work with Body and Mind?
In a way that every vision stolen goes to the original Ty, and not the "Minds?"

Level 18
Also, Did you trigger Curse of the Blind to work with Body and Mind?

What do you mean by that? Multiple casts of Curse of the Blind on the same target will damage it appropriately, as you specified, even if the casts are made by the spirits. This means if you try to use Curse of the Blind on a unit and you have like 18+ spirits, the unit will most likely die (from damage).

In a way that every vision stolen goes to the original Ty, and not the "Minds?"

That's what I get for not reading the next line before typing up a storm. No, I do not currently have it such that the stolen vision gets allocated to the initial caster, rather than the illusion - but because the way I have this set up is so damn dynamic I could do it quite easily.

Currently each instance of the Body and Mind spell can be referenced through the spirit unit. Through the spell, the caster can be referenced. This basically means that through the spirit unit, the initial caster can be very easily referenced. I'll have that fixed in the next test-map.

Div

Div

Level 4
Noo, you got that part wrong! That's confusion, remember?
Curse of the Blind doesn't damage at all, just steals vision, lowers chance of resisting mind control and makes the unit miss based on how much vision sight it lost by Curse of the Blind

Oh, ok, no hurries :)

Level 18
Oh, right. That is Confusion. I don't know what I was thinking (Curse of the Blind doesn't deal damage when it's cast twice, don't worry).

Curse of the Blind causes the unit to miss if it can't see anything (though it preserves a small area of visibility, as you requested).

Once I finish up Body and Mind I will be progressing to making the synergies. The chance to "resist" Mind Control is purely triggered, and I can quite easily add that data to any of the spells at will.

I will make sure that I give the bonus sight-range to the caster, rather than to the spirit illusion that casted it. I'll just tweak the Curse of the Blind ability a bit so that when a unit of the same type as the spirits uses it, it will reference the caster and make the necessary changes. Don't worry!!

Reactions: Div

Div

Div

Level 4
That's Great! Also, I was thinking
Mind Control has a relative big chance of being nullified by the resisting chance, and that, even thou "balanced" (avoiding that a hero is constantly controlled, and also giving use to all other abilities), it has a big down side
So I was thinking, if a hero resists mind control, it still loses something, like it used all his/her energies to resist the Ultimate, that way being purged and silenced for... 5 seconds
That's pretty easy to do, isn't it?
If a hero resists mind control it is purged and silenced for 5 seconds
Possible?

Level 18
Yea that's easy.

Okay, so I've just opened up your spells again and I'm hoping to get them finished soon. It feels like I've made you wait far too long for just these spells. I currently have it so that Body and Mind spirits that cast Curse of the Blind transfer all of their bonuses to the caster. In fact, the "caster" of Curse of the Blind is in every way considered to be the caster of Body and Mind (for the spell object). This was fairly easy to do, though, it was just a matter of re-assigning a variable.

There is a problem with many units casting a spell with the same buff on a single unit, the Curse of the Blind buff tends to disappear off of the unit when there are spirits casting it on the same unit. If there are no spirits, this isn't an issue (and typically isn't an issue) but it seems like when a spirit-unit casts the spell immediately after the caster unit the buff is scratched out. As I said, this doesn't hinder the functionality and the unit is still "blinded" when it can no longer see.

I'll refrain from uploading a test-map until more has been accomplished from the last test-map.

I'll post a status update:

• Curse of the Blind
    • Successfully transfers a certain amount of Sight from the target to the caster, in a stacking fashion.
    • Successfully transfers the "source" of the spell to the source of Body and Mind if necessary.
    • Successfully applies "Blind" when a unit is below a critical sight radius, causing attacks to miss.
    • Pending spell mechanics that affect Mind Control.
  • Confusion
    • Successfully causes a player to lose control of a specific unit.
    • Successfully causes the target unit to have increased attack speed.
    • Successfully returns a percentage of the damage dealt by a confused unit.
    • Successfully inflicts damage if spell is casted twice on the same unit within the buff period.
    • Successfully distinguishes available targets to a prioritized pattern.
  • Body and Mind
    • Successfully imitates the caster's orders (still requires attention to "attack" orders though).
    • Successfully removes itself when the amount of casted spells exceeds a predefined limit.
    • Successfully removes itself once it's life duration timer has expired.
  • Mind Control
    • Not started.

Last edited:

Div

Div

Level 4
Wow, I'm amazed
As it seems, we're 70%, considering Mind Control has many mechanics related to the other spells

Also, I need to ask you for ONE LAST THING, and this time, I promise it IS the last thing in order to complete this hero
It is a Mind Control mechanic, which works this way:

When Mind Control is cast and the target resists, a debuff is applied to that target

the debuff is called Mind Fatigue, and it "purges" the unit and silences it for 3/4/5 seconds (depending MC level) - but it is not a purge, cos a purge would remove all other debuffs and buffs... so it just slows down the target to the minimum movement speed and the target slowly regains the movement again through the duration

Ok, that I've already asked you to do, but this is the last one:
IF mind control is cast on someone that HAS MIND FATIGUE, no matter what, the target has NO CHANCE OF RESISTING IT

That doesn't sound that hard do to huh?
And then, we're all done my good friend :)

Level 18
Not yet. Sorry.

Okay, sorry for the large delay. The spell ideas have undergone a lot of changes as certain mechanics could not be accounted for, and I believe you made some changes as your idea developed. Could you please post a detailed description (like in the very first post) of what exactly you want Mind Control to do?

Last edited:

Div

Div

Level 4
Sure! Here it goes:

Mind Control is a channeling spell which controls a target unit/hero for 10/15/20 seconds.
The target of the spell has a standard 20% chance of resisting Mind Control PLUS an extra 3/2/1% for every level if it has if a hero.
The Spell may be cast from 700 units

IF the controlled unit gets out of the maximum range, Mind Control's effect is broken
Maximum control range is: 50/60/70% of Ty's current Vision Sight (to synergy with Curse of the Blind) - Also, I'd appreciate if you could show some sort of sign to indicate where the maximum range is, Maybe a circle of runes around Ty would be great! but that's just some good cosmetics I ask sorry haha

While under control, a hero may not drop/pick up/sell/buy items
If the controlled unit dies/kills a hero, the credit for the kill goes to Ty (exp as well)

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT:
The controlled unit has a 10/7/5% chance of regaining conscience on each attack it takes!

Now, the NEW part:

If a unit has just managed to resist Mind Control, Mental Fatigue will be applied. The unit with Mental Fatigue will have its movement speed reduced to the minimum and be silenced, for the last 3/4/5 seconds, slowly regaining speed through out the duration. If Ty manages to refresh the ultimate and cast it again over a unit that STILL has Mental Fatigue, that unit will have no chance of resisting it, no matter what (meaning, If Ty has already a "Mind" besides him, and he casts Mind Control - the target resists Ty's cast, but won't be able to resist the Mind's cast)
Mind Fatigue works like a Purge with Silence, but without removing buffs/debuffs.
IF controlled, The Mind Fatigue buff will be removed as Ty gains control over the unit (just like Curse of the Blind)
But remember, Ty's vision's buff of Curse of the Blind remains on him, just the debuff on the target is removed (only if controlled), that way Ty uses his current vision sight to increase the range allowed on his Ultimate.

Lastly, but very important:
If Ty is level 6 and targets an enemy level 7, the enemy will have 100% chance of resisting Mind Control, BUT, if the enemy has Curse of the Blind fully stacked on it (ONLY when fully stacked) Ty will be able to control it with ease. If the enemy has a higher level than Ty, and it's affected by Curse of the Blind, it won't have its resisting chance reduced unless completly blind (Won't go from 100% chance of resisting to 96/48/12/etc, it is either 100% or 0%).

Hope this helps!

Div

Div

Level 4
Yeap, that's right
Remember the only way to control a Higher leveled hero than Ty is only possible by having Curse of the Blind Fully stacked OR by Mental Fatigue

Level 18
Don't worry Div, I'm still working on it. I'm working on Mind Control at the moment - lots of the other spell mechanics had to be tweaked just a little and the process is taking a little while. At the moment I've got Mind Control successfully taking control of a unit for a specified amount of time (and if a Body & Mind spirit is casting while the caster is not, it will remain under the effects of the Mind Control) - the other specifications will come shortly (whatever that means; I feel so bad I've made you wait so long).

Div

Div

Level 4
Hey, I'm the one that feels bad for giving you such a hard work :(
I'm really glad you're doing this for me
Plus, I'm outside of my country now, I'll be out for a month, so no hurries :)

Level 18
I always keep sitting down to work on this last ability for you and quickly become unmotivated and play games or work on something else - I think it's about time I finished this up. I'm continuing progress on it so it shouldn't take any more than an hour or two to respond back here.

Okay,
  • Area Of Effect indicators to show the range of Mind Control - check.
  • Mind Control target cannot pickup any items - check. I was not able to disallow the unit to buy from merchants.
  • Mind Control target cannot drop any items - check.
  • Mind Control target cannot move outside of the indicators or the effect will be broken - check.
  • Mind Control target has a 20% (+1/2/3% per hero level) to resist the effects of the ability - check.
  • Mind Control targets with Blind have no chance of resisting - check.

It seems like now the only thing I've really got to worry about is getting the Mind Fatigue to be applied when a unit blocks (and doing some corresponding between any Mind unit that the caster may have in effect at the time). I really wish you had planned out your systems a little better so that these kinds of abilities can be done simply by implementing various systems/libraries; it is a pain the ass to code spell-specific systems.

Last edited:

Div

Div

Level 4
Aw I'm sorry my friend :(
I only have basic triggering knowledge and didn't know this could cause this much trouble
I'm still very happy someone like you is helping me, I really am

In case you give up on this, I want you to know that it has been fun and an honor "working"/talking with you! :)

Level 18
I'm not giving up, it's just so un-motivating coding entire systems for single spells, but as I said before deep down I enjoy it. I probably won't get much more progress done this weekend, as I am competing in the weekend mapping contest; after that I should finish it up (unless a motivational drought strikes, in which case it is pending :D)

Level 18
Not much; I was almost thinking about completely re-doing all of the spells and modularize the code so that it is easier for me. That is if I get around to it. At the moment I've got to collaborate Deaod to get the Zephyr Contest #7 results finalized - perhaps I could get around to it after I've finished that. I also recently purchased Starcraft II and while it is very amusing I think I need to invest money in a new computer before I can be truly satisfied with it.

I'll keep you posted. If you've got any questions or anything in the mean time (do all the spells I gave you seem to work 100% properly?) just post back here, I am always watching the thread.

Div

Div

Level 4
I think there's no need for completly redoing them cos after all you've done more than 80% of the work already, I believe Mind Control is the easiest one of them all since it only changes owner and takes use of the variables of the previous skills

Well, hope everything is well for you my friend, let me know of further stuff you come up to, like if you get your new computer, how the Contest turned out to be and stuff :)

Level 18
I think there's no need for completly redoing them cos after all you've done more than 80% of the work already, I believe Mind Control is the easiest one of them all since it only changes owner and takes use of the variables of the previous skills

It's just not fresh in my memory, and lots of the techniques I used to organize my code have since become completely archaic to me now - it would almost be easier to re-code them. With that said it's a lot easier said than done; recoding would in result be easier but having to go through each spell again (after such a long time) would probably be tedious.

Well, hope everything is well for you my friend, let me know of further stuff you come up to, like if you get your new computer, how the Contest turned out to be and stuff :)

:smile:

Div

Div

Level 4
oh ok... well, let me know if you find the inspiration to finish it hahaha
ill be looking forward to it :)

Level 18
Hi. I'm very occupied with school and work; in fact I shouldn't even be posting this. I have a lot of work to do at the moment without much time and even less time considering I work the next couple of days - I haven't had time to do much of anything.

Level 18
Okay some-time this coming weekend I'm probably going to have a little bit of time. I've still got to send in my reviews for the Zephyr Contest (I've got to be the worst judge ever at the moment) and during the weekend I'll see if I can revisit these requests - that is if you still need them; Warcraft III seems to be dying quickly.

Level 16
no its not dying, it will not die that fast, at least thats what i beleive, its just that SC2 is booming right now, some of my friends came back to wc3 instead, so i hope it will revive soon. (Lol i am so desperate, but, please never say that Wc3 is dying, most people reading it will be depressed as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.