• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell section - History repeats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
Hello Hivers! :)

As many of you know spell section was purged a few months ago and the section was pretty much cleaned.

But now you can see 8 pages of pending (mostly REALLY BAD QUALITY and rules braking spells)
I know the mods are giving their best, but it's to much for them to handle. So I was thinking of deleting all the pending spells from the section, excluding spells witch are following the rules. But I'm not thinking of another purge, just check(without testing) if the submission is ok, if not delete and ban(week+) / neg rep. I just don't understand people that goes "mai fiorst spel, deals 100 damage to all enemis" And that is his submission with no screenshot, full of leaks, 5 lines of code and then they whine about it. I say BAN again.

Something should be done about it, because I know I'm not the only one being annoyed by this.

Thanks for understanding.

~Berz

Last edited:
Level 12
Even tho i never use spells section and i very rarely check it, i highly agree with you.

Level 37
I think this isn't such a bad idea ...
however, just to be fair, what about the newbies? Will they receive ban/negrep/any other punishment for trying skill themselves? I dunno if this is the best way to handle this problem :eek:

Dunno suggest something, you know more heads know more :)

It's fine. No.

@Ralle: Fix the moderation system (trigger editor).

I'm not sure what you mean there.

Ban for a week? Aren't you exaggerating there? Neg rep is supposed to make people to comply, after a constant break of the rules, not for a single spell upload. I'm sorry, but this seems an ugly definition of negative reputation authority.

Plus, the spells section is currently a bit pushed back, because of The Reborn Devil's absence.

Anyway, the way the Offtopic section was highlighted with what type of threads are not going to be tolerated anymore, that should be the way to make this happen here as well. Discouraging methods should really be discouraged.

Level 17
I agree with the point about posting no screenshot ... that definitely deserves at least neg-rep. I'm kinda fed up seeing all these stupid preview images which actually have nothing to do with the spell/system itself ...
I also think another rule should be introduced - the rule to put the spellcode in the thread. Want me to list up the advantages? Sure:
- you can see faster if the code is pure mess or not
- makes it easier for teh lazy peoplez here who want to make a quick review only .. <.<
Wc3c is doing the very same. Every member posting a new spell adds the spellcode to the thread so why not here?

Level 12
Less afk, more Pew Pew.
Hive needs some action!
Thats why i agreed with berz in the first place

EDIT: hive needs more action against flamers/trolls/spammers/etc rule violators*

Level 37
I agree with the point about posting no screenshot ... that definitely deserves at least neg-rep. I'm kinda fed up seeing all these stupid preview images which actually have nothing to do with the spell/system itself ...
I also think another rule should be introduced - the rule to put the spellcode in the thread. Want me to list up the advantages? Sure:
- you can see faster if the code is pure mess or not
- makes it easier for teh lazy peoplez here who want to make a quick review only .. <.<
Wc3c is doing the very same. Every member posting a new spell adds the spellcode to the thread so why not here?

This is all ready implanted, thou only for the mods.

And I agree it should be visible to everyone. And then when you can vote for rejection... 5 (10 is a big value, since most of the users that post comments don't vote) votes for rejection (from users) and the spell should get instantly rejected, just an idea how everyone could cooperate and help the moderators.
l
And I also agree about wc3c, if your resource is crap -> graveyard -> whining -> ignorance -> whiner will shut up/leave the site eventually

*Sorry if I'm being harsh or rude, but I just can not watch this anymore. Because more you tell, more they whine, spam, ultra-post, flame... and even better they submit another crappy resource, still saying it's their first spell :[

This is not an excuse to implement such a system. Wc3c has other ways of supporting its policy and Hive bears other ways to do the same thing. What is more, Wc3c is an excellent-resource hunter, so their strict rules preserve that aspect. Hive is way more noob-friendly and that is a good thing; check the communities; which one is wider and more active?

Level 12
why not? Ofcourse not if he does it one time, but if it continues (2-3 more times), then it is good.

Level 22
HAHA was first one hit by your topic berzerk as my spawn system dont have a proper screenie (well it is a spawn system so how to screen it? a vid in the screenshot?) and it is pending :) then I continued to read and it said full of leaks and 5 lines of code well that doesnt apply to it but the first points did ;)

Dunno what to do with me then, ban me from spell section or neg rep me?

I'm very certain of what you mean and yes I review sometimes (more the less) and yes I discovered the problem and yes some got this 100 dmg all enemies thingie and yes full of leaks.

Dunno have no proper argument nor suggestion but good that you took it up again.

Last edited:
Level 25
I think one more purge could be good, but negrep and/or ban isn't right. Maybe ban from posting resources, but not ban from the hive.

So that the users which resource isn't fitting can save theirs while for example some people which aren't active as triggerers(example Paladon or Dynasty) get their good resources deleted?

No thanks.

I agree with the following though:

Ralle could just do something that allows resource mods to ban users from posting a resource.

Level 22
Not exactly like that, we just do a quick scan and mark spells which seems like one of those "hai! iz mah firzt zpell, it keelz al unitz on tah mapzor. gief credits f uzd." or similar and then we purge.

Automated purge system? What about it?
Every x weeks all GUI spells will be purged if they live for atleast x days without approval.

Additionally, you have to click 2 additional buttons for the spells, checkboxes, which are called
'Is the spelll really leakless? (What is leakless? Read here.)' [ ]
and
'Is the spell multi instanceable? (What is multi instaceablilty? Read here.)'[ ]

If they selected the boxes (uploaded spell) without following the rules they are having a 3 day resource upload ban.

Level 15
tl;dr the thread but I agree that there ARE a lot of crappy spells, I have no idea why people choose to submit them.

Yet they get approved and regarded as 'recommended'. Seriously, what isn't recommended in this spell Section?

Use
The spells section should not be used to get feedback or help on your coding--please use the Triggers and Scripts forum for that. It should also not be used to send spells to friends and then delete them--please use the Pastebin for that.

Seems like the most case. I see a lot of 'this is my first spell or my friend requested me to make this'.

Not exactly like that, we just do a quick scan and mark spells which seems like one of those "hai! iz mah firzt zpell, it keelz al unitz on tah mapzor. gief credits f uzd." or similar and then we purge.

I like this :)

A lame and rule breaking spell.

I just got a new spell idea :D
"Rule Breaker
Breaks the rules for 200 mana. Attracts Spell Moderators."

Level 37
I'm not really sure what you guys are talking about.
I never approve crappy spells, though some may slip by.

You get it wrong, you do your job good. It's about the people who submits shizzy spells, not even worth clicking on the resource because you'll only get headache. so we're trying to think of something to prevent that.

Another idea:

Make a sub forum in triggers in scripts naming it "spell feedback" or something (this forum linked to spell section) any you can DL the spell check the code etc. bun no approving, rating. Just a thread for those users who aren't sure about their spell(s), and want some feedback.

It goes like this:

You submit your spell in spell section (same as now)

Before you click "submit" and you have option that you verify that the spell is following the rules or not there would be a third option "feedback" (or name it what you want)

If option clicked is feedback, move thread to triggers in scripts forum(out of spell section)

So moderators doesn't really moderate it, if the spells is leaking, non mui, etc.. the users could help him/her with advices

Pros:
no spamming in spell section
no headache
less leaking and rule breaking spells in spell section

Cons:
another forum for "general moderators" to moderate
updating the website with this feature

Something like that (sorry I'm a little brain-dead atm)

Level 31
This is not an excuse to implement such a system. Wc3c has other ways of supporting its policy and Hive bears other ways to do the same thing. What is more, Wc3c is an excellent-resource hunter, so their strict rules preserve that aspect. Hive is way more noob-friendly and that is a good thing; check the communities; which one is wider and more active?

It isn't a bad idea, we don't need to waste our time to d/l and open editor to check the code cause if the code is really bad; it could be seen with a single glance right away.

Ralle could just do something that allows resource mods to ban users from posting a resource.

I have suggest this to him long time ago, but I don't see any reaction from him.

tl;dr the thread but I agree that there ARE a lot of crappy spells, I have no idea why people choose to submit them.

Yet they get approved and regarded as 'recommended'. Seriously, what isn't recommended in this spell Section?

all spells that are deem to be defective coding that are approve was remove long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.