• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Spell Review Template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
I'd like to create a spell review template for all those of you who want to do advanced spell reviews on the spells section. so here it is. hope it is welcome.

Spell Review of <insert spellname>

General Aspects 10/10

1. Test Map - well this should judge the test map and its appearance, testing issues such as revive system for creeps, respawn for trees, information in quests or all those things you want to mention here. it should give a maximum of 3 of the 10 points from general aspects

2. Documentation - a really important thing for a spell is the documentation and the user friendlyness. those should count here. information triggers, comments in the triggers, proper documentation and tips should count a maximum of 4 of the 10 points you can give in general aspects

3. Functionality - does the spell work? yes: 3 points no: 0 points something in the middle: 1-2 points

Triggering 20/20

1. Efficiency - did the maker use such things as if, then, else structs in an effective way? were loops used to create multiple special effects instead of spreading the trigger? such things come in handy here. max 5 of the 20 points

2. Leaks - does the spell leak? no: 5 points everything worse can be judged up to personal preference

3. Troubleshooting - if you found bugs then tell the creator of the map which, when it happens and how to fix it. again, this can give 5 points when there are no bugs found, else you should give less points depending on how they affect the spell

4. MUI/MPI - the spell is mui? +5 points it is not but mpi? 3 points, it is nothing of those two possibilities? +0 points

Concept/Idea 10/10

1. Originality - actually everyone will judge the originality of a spell different, i would give 5 of 10 points maximum for originality

2. Execution - maximum of 2 points here. again, this varies up to how you like the spell

3. Usefulness - useful or not? does hive even need such a spell? 5 points maximum

Theme 5/5

1. Use of Special Effects - a very important point for me, special effects should be decent though nice and impressive, no overuse but there should be some. 4 of the 5 maximum points

2. Spell fits the Theme/Element - yes: 1 no: 0 if it is a fire spell and the effcts are purple then it may not fit the theme (most times the theme is mentioned in the spells name or tooltip or if it was made for a contest the theme is named in the first post of the thread

Overall: 45/45

the overall aspects, divide through 5 to get the steps from unacceptable to highly recommended, if you gave bonus points somewhere there can also be a director's cut

0-9 = anacceptable
10-18 = lacking
19-27 = useful
28-36 = recommended
37-45 = higly recommended

more than 45 = dc

Code will be in the next post.
Remove all my tips and description when using this.

Last edited:
Level 24
code

HTML:
[COLOR="Green"][h1][CENTER]Spell Review of <insert spellname>[/h1][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Green"]
[h2]General Aspects  10/10[/h2][/COLOR]
    [LIST=1]

[*][COLOR="Green"]Test Map[/COLOR] - maximum 3 of the 10 points from general aspects

[*]    [COLOR="Green"]Documentation[/COLOR] - maximum of 4 of the 10 points you can give in general aspects

[*]    [COLOR="Green"]Functionality[/COLOR] - does the spell work? yes: 3 points no: 0 points something in the middle: 1-2 points
[/LIST]

[COLOR="Green"]
[h2]Triggering   20/20[/h2][/COLOR]
      [LIST=1]

[*][COLOR="Green"]Efficiency[/COLOR] - max 5 of the 20 points

[*]      [COLOR="Green"]Leaks[/COLOR] - does the spell leak? no: 5 points everything worse can be judged up to personal preference

[*]      [COLOR="Green"]Troubleshooting[/COLOR] - 5 points when there are no bugs found, else you should give less points depending on how they affect the spell

[*]      [COLOR="Green"]MUI/MPI[/COLOR] - MUI: +5 points, MPI: +3 points, nothing: 0 points
[/LIST]

[COLOR="Green"][h2]Concept/Idea   10/10[/h2][/COLOR]
      [LIST=1]

[*][COLOR="Green"]Originality[/COLOR] - max. 5 of 10 points for originality

[*]      [COLOR="Green"]Execution[/COLOR] - maximum of 2 points here

[*]      [COLOR="Green"]Usefulness[/COLOR] - 5 points maximum
[/LIST]

[COLOR="Green"]
[h2]Theme   5/5[/h2][/COLOR]
      [LIST=1]

[*][COLOR="Green"]Use of Special Effects[/COLOR] - max. 4 of the 5 possible points in theme

[*]      [COLOR="Green"]Spell fits the Theme/Element[/COLOR] -  yes: 1 no: 0
[/LIST]

[h1][COLOR="Green"]Overall: 45/45[/COLOR][/h1]

10-18 = lacking
19-27 = useful
28-36 = recommended
37-45 = higly recommended

more than 45 = dc

[/CENTER]

to use it copy this without my tips and use it in your post :D

Last edited:
Level 9
Well I think there are tow errors in it:
-1: Concept/Idea 10/10

1. Originality - actually everyone will judge the originality of a spell different, i would give 5 of 10 points maximum for originality

2. Execution - maximum of 2 points here. again, this varies up to how you like the spell

3. Usefulness - useful or not? does hive even need such a spell? 5 points maximum

Concept idea has a maximum of 10 points but inside if you give full points to all aspects you have 12.

2-Overall: 45/45 the overall aspects, divide through 5 to get the steps from unacceptable to highly recommended, if you gave bonus points somewhere there can also be a director's cut

Well let's assume I give a spell 45 points. Now I divide through 5 = 9
This is directors cut since the known maximum is at 5(Highly recommended).
I think you meant divide by 9

Level 40
Test Map - well this should judge the test map and its appearance, testing issues such as revive system for creeps, respawn for trees, information in quests or all those things you want to mention here. it should give a maximum of 3 of the 10 points from general aspects
A pretty test map does not make a good spell. Most of those things are immaterial.

Efficiency - did the maker use such things as if, then, else structs in an effective way? were loops used to create multiple special effects instead of spreading the trigger? such things come in handy here. max 5 of the 20 points
Rather vague and inaccurate. This also shouldn't be under efficiency, as copy and pasting the same actions over and over is actually faster speed-wise (ingame) than a loop.

Level 9
It is one thing to write code efficiently: spend little time and resources in doing so. It is an other thing to write efficient code, that performs well and consumes little resources while running.

Whichever meaning you define for the word, you should have a section in your template dedicated for the latter, and to avoid confusion I'd suggest you come up with different wording, atleast for your current meaning of the word.

lulz. not. efficiency is to optimize a code so that it is simple, easy to understand and short and still make it work as good as possible. its the overall thing, not only how fast a script runs.

but opinions may vary from person to person.
It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of fact. Efficiency is how fast it performs in-game. Being efficient has absolutely NOTHING to do with how readable it is or whatever.

Level 17
Well, this isn't much of a good review template, I mean, it's a bit annoying to read such a template.

Let me tell you why I think it's so:

Deu's Usual Review Template:

[-] {negative stuff}

1. You center everything, centering ONLY makes things nice if it's a title, or a paragraph of a few lines maximum.

2. You repeat the numbers over and over again (1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3...), just go with the flow (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7...)

3. You insert the details inside the numbered area, which makes things crowded - bad idea...

[+] {positive stuff}

4. {here for instance I would have inserted the positive stuff}

[..] {personal opinion}

5. All the coloring might be annoying to read.

[*] {final conclusion, details and advice}

This isn't much of a good review template as it is over-crowded and could be annoying to read. Yet and however, if improved this could be very useful to a lot of people.

Ok Palaslayer, so this shouldn't be hard to fix. To start with, use lighter colors instead of dark green (don't use very light colors). You could also use different colors for different sections of the the review template could be useful as it eases the action of referring to the review sections. The other issues mentioned in the review should be easy to fix.

One issue, is that the details are included throughout the whole review, that's annoying. Look at what I did: simple phrases throughout the review and details separately at the end. Anyone downloading a spell just wants to know the general perspective of what's wrong and what's not, he doesn't care for the details usually. And for whoever cares, well the details are there at the bottom.

Well, last said: good luck and good job!

Oh, ignore all that is between { & } as they're notes to you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.