1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Spanish Helmets

Submitted by Cuore
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Spanish helmets of the 16th century.
You can use and edit these models, credit is appreciated. Just don't redistribute them.

Concept found at: [concept] spanish soldiers' details | HIVE
Previews
Contents

Spanish Helmet n.1 Morion (conquistador) (Model)

Spanish helmet n.2 (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Changes are made. Good attachment models. Work in-game.
  1. UmbraUnda

UmbraUnda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    USEFUL! Very well done... 5/5 please make more... I can really use these for my medieval map.

2. BrazilEmperor

BrazilEmperor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow! very good! Nice! 5/5

3. SNIper of DARKness

SNIper of DARKness

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Very useful model, you should consider making more similar helmets.

4. Sloane Ranger

Sloane Ranger

Resources:
    Resources:
    Now if only I could figure out how to make custom units use alternate sets of animations (including when they are built) I could have a perfect conquistador style army.

5. streetpunk

streetpunk

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Also the variation looks a lot like a late roman empire helmet

6. SNIper of DARKness

SNIper of DARKness

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    One should consider a death animation.

7. BrothForMyPeople

BrothForMyPeople

Resources:
    Resources:
  8. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    C'est magnifique. It definitely has gladiator applications.
    I liked how you showed its attachment points on the standard villager model. It gives us a good idea of what to expect.

9. BrothForMyPeople

BrothForMyPeople

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not Roman/gladiator helmet as it's said in the comments. It's Lobster Tailed Pot Helmet or Burgonet.

10. streetpunk

streetpunk

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    We were just comparing the resemblance to the roman/gladiator helmet, a culture which of course the spanish had influence from.

11. BrothForMyPeople

BrothForMyPeople

Resources:
    Resources:
    Gladiator helmet was based on Thracian one, if we had to be historical accurate.

12. streetpunk

streetpunk

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    But there were so many gladiatorial helmets! Take Hoplomacus gladiator gear for instance, which is ressembles on ancient greece hoplite gear! One might say it ressembles romans because the sidecheeks plates on the variation looks a lot like legionarie helmet too.

13. BrothForMyPeople

BrothForMyPeople

Resources:
    Resources:
    @streetpunk
    I googled Hoplomacus, he still wears boeotian-thracian like helmet with facial, fish-like features. Greeks were used to use the standard versions. Romans have perverted those helmets to be more protective for their slaves, and to look scarier.
    But okay, this helmet may look a bit like a coolus and montefortino helmets of Romans.

14. streetpunk

streetpunk

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    how nice and informative hive can be! hahaha you're taking/have a degree on history or something? I definily like ancient history in special, but we don't always get into that many details! But I for one didn't knew gladiatorial helmets came from thracian design, tought only Thraex style was hahaha

15. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A nice idea, but the execution has some major flaws:

Please fix the 'Death' animation. The model should disappear at the start of said animation but it does not. Another thing I noticed is that the key frames of the geoset animation you used are way different from the key frames of the 'Death' animation.

Why does the model does even have any animation key frames of the head bone?

The normals of the models, and therefore their shading, is all messed up. It is even visible in the in-game screens hot you provided.

I look at the model in Magos and it confirmed what I have seen:

[​IMG]

Using two-sided textures does not remove the flaw and I recommend you to flip all the vertices that are faced the wrong direction.

And, while you are still at it you might want to add collision shapes, just for completion.

Another thing that really bugs me is that, it seems that you might have taken the helmets off some other model and forgot to remove things.

Why is there an animated bone?
    Why is the half of the vertices facing the wrong direction? All proper modelling programs work on the basis that the turn all faces in the correct direction.
    Why are the geoset aniamtion key frames so different than the normal key frames?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  16. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    These claims are false.

Faulty normals have been left there because of double sided texture, and come from the fact that i copypasted every vertex one by one, i manually made triangles (having two-sided textures turned on, i didn't check nor worry about normals being consistent) and mirrored the left half of the helmets to obtain the other one.
    I didn't understand well why two-sided textures weren't a solution to this situation. That's just me.

The added keyframes come from the fact that I imported the helmets geosets into a model that had a villager's head to be able to size them correctly, and skipped deleting some keyframes outside of animations. I just left there one of the existing bones afterwards.
    EDIT2: I imported the helmets to the head bone to see how they behaved during animations, that's why I left the head bone there as the last one and that's why it had some keyframes left outside of the animations used by the final helmets.
    EDIT: i reckon that the geoset animations you refer to have been left there just in the same way. It's an oversight of mine.

Wip pictures are available publicly along with concepts on the media.

I need not ask for anybody's permission because this work is mine.
    I have no credits to declare other than having appreciated the reference pictures as guidance.

17. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Could you please back this publicly stated accusation up with something? Or if you can't, why do you write it? I claim you will fail to find any existing source of those helmets that isn't my model.

EDIT: I completely understand that you may have questions or doubts. What is not understandable is why you think that it is proper to make unfounded accusations instead of just asking why things are the way they appear. I don't know what you were thinking, really.

18. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Other than these incomprehensible false allegations, the highlight of faults and suggestions of corrections are welcome since it's the first attachment I ever make

19. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Here we go, updated. I tried to address every single issue (excess keyframes, faulty normals, faulty death animation, collision shapes), but please review these again just in case I failed to correct something.