• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Space Colonization

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
According to Wikipedia, construction on the lunar base should begin in the year 2019 and end in the year 2024. Afterward, plans will be made to travel to Mars. How many people would go to the lunar colony? How many people would go to live at the Mars colony, or another colony on another planet? What do you think will happen to Earth after space colonization?

For the article from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_base

Level 27
Those bases will be used by scientists. It'll still be awhile before anyone can live there as easily as here on earth. But once they are I'd sure like to visit them.
Hopefully we'll find a way to travel instantaneously, but until then space colonization beyond the moon and mars, wont be very fast.

Level 26
Why the hell would someone want to live on the moon when they can blow it up? Think about it, it would be totally badass. It wouldn't be very useful, but it would be badass nonetheless.

Level 8
I think we should focus on building a Martian base first. It would be a better environment for scientists, what with the chunks of ice and bacteria here and there, give us a more earth-like environment (if only marginally so), and, let's face it, Mars is SO much more badass than Luna. Who knows, maybe DOOM will become a reality!

Level 34
Well if we get colonies in outter space and get scientists en colonists there I hope we don't replicate the Alien movies. Or find a very agressive bug alien species who shoot rocks at Earth :eek: (Starship Troopers) Or we make a warpjump and get Vulcans here! :hohum:

Level 34
Dude, I love this piece of rock that the humans call ''Earth,'' I really do. But if it will happen I will go back to Alpha 5, my home. Wait... Did I said to much?

Level 8
Hmm... Moon air... might be hard to market to scientists, who would get all bitchy about the lack of atmosphere and so on, but I think it could sell well.

Level 34
Breaking news: Google is giving a 20 million dollar price to the first one who launches a unmanned rocket to the moon! Only $10.000 entry fee. Hey shall we join? :grin: Who's got $10.000 right now? Anyone? :grin:

Level 8
Ok, back to the original topic, I think the moon should be colonized first. It would act as a great jumping off point for further space exploration. Even though it's not that far out there, it would be a great place to test things that needed lower gravity. It could be used to snag interesting meteors that just missed falling into orbit. Blasting rockets off from the moon would require much less power than going straight off the surface of Earth. The moon could also be used (though this is kind of a long shot) as designated neutral ground for treaties, surrenders, etc. Hell, it's unlikely, but if we ever got attacked by space faring baddies, the moon would probably be a useful defensive facility. I say moon today, Mars tomorrow.

Level 13
I would go. Not much left on this world that interest me terribley...

People coming to the colonies in the amreicas in 1500-1700's faced the same question. Some went for adventure, I sure as hell would. Mars sounds fun. =D

Level 13
Deserts have always seemed appealing to me... not sure why. Just the vast emptyness and unblieveible amount of stuff (normally sand =P)... hard to explain... but I like it.

Level 8
The moon could also be an excellent source of valuable metals and ore. Since it's made of the same stuff as Earth (possibly), it should have the same ores. Mining bases could be built up there to keep us building new stuff for ages. We could even rebuild the moon, using its own parts.

Level 4
and why should we live on a planet anyway? gravity is an annoyance. mars has too much gravity-it's not worth going there with people. the moon is better, but still only put miners there, and built space colonies from the metals. this even solves global warming- we get off earth and let it screw with itself. as for exploring the earth more, that's what crazy people are for. leave the idiots who are against things like stem cell research(because curing horrible dieseases is BAAAAD!), and bring out the ones who are brave enough to emigrate.

the cowards never left and the weaklings died on the way.

Level 26
and why should we live on a planet anyway? gravity is an annoyance. mars has too much gravity-it's not worth going there with people. the moon is better, but still only put miners there, and built space colonies from the metals. this even solves global warming- we get off earth and let it screw with itself. as for exploring the earth more, that's what crazy people are for. leave the idiots who are against things like stem cell research(because curing horrible dieseases is BAAAAD!), and bring out the ones who are brave enough to emigrate.

the cowards never left and the weaklings died on the way.

Yeah, who needs gravity? If I want to have my body fall apart, that's what I'll do, dammit!

Level 13
The moon could also be an excellent source of valuable metals and ore. Since it's made of the same stuff as Earth (possibly), it should have the same ores.

Interesting you bring this up, as plans have been made to mine at the moon for a certain thing that isnot found on Earth. No,w I'm not 100% sure how it works, but the sun radiates H3 (Heilium 3), which is not on Earth due to our magnetic field. But it IS on the moon. Why do we want H3 so bad? Again, im not 100% sure, but I know that with it we can make easy nuclear fusion, without the radioactive bi-products. I just watched something about it on the Discovery Chan. a few weeks ago, some british scientests are working on it now.

We could even rebuild the moon, using its own parts.

Then what would the point of taking then ore if we are just gonna put it back? :eekani:

Level 34
Yup and that gravity rule is still not broken.
You have two balls of lead. One is ten times heavier then the other. You drop them from a high height at the same time. And what happens? Both balls land on the same time on the ground. That's because mass doesn't excist in this experiment only shape or whatever it was. Scientific hey? :thumbs_up:

Level 35
.....You do realize that the Human body cannot remain in an environment without gravity for very long. Living in a state of anti-gravity causes the body to atrophy. And thats even with rigorous exercise.

Inorder for any space colonization to take place. YOU MUST, take care of the gravity problem. Even if it isnt artificial gravity, you have to fiqure out how to counter the bad effects Anti-grav has on the body.

Level 34
.....You do realize that the Human body cannot remain in an environment without gravity for very long. Living in a state of anti-gravity causes the body to atrophy. And thats even with rigorous exercise.

Inorder for any space colonization to take place. YOU MUST, take care of the gravity problem. Even if it isnt artificial gravity, you have to fiqure out how to counter the bad effects Anti-grav has on the body.
If you stay in space wity no gravity at all the stiffness in your bones will decay in a matter of months. That's why you see those astronauts/cosmonauts who have stay for 0,5 year - 1 year being carried away on a strecter because they aren't used to gravity anymore, and being so long time is very dangerous and you see that in this experiment: *Holds a astronaut who just came from space after a year and wears no suit* Watch *Taps against his arm* Look *Arm snaps.* The bones are very vulnerable now.

Heavy shoes...
Some people found a temporary way to counter gravity. (Got no pic for it sorry =P) And it's very cheap, clean and man-propelled. Ok think it like this: One rotor and that's you, you lie on your side 'sitting' in a sort of stupid non-protective cage which makes you stand in side mode. You got some peddles (like a bike but you're standing and you're on your side) and you spin them with your legs and that let the rotor (you) move/turn in circles. Very usefull.

Level 26
Yup and that gravity rule is still not broken.
You have two balls of lead. One is ten times heavier then the other. You drop them from a high height at the same time. And what happens? Both balls land on the same time on the ground. That's because mass doesn't excist in this experiment only shape or whatever it was. Scientific hey? :thumbs_up:
You need to pay more attention in physics class. Everything has mass... everywhere. What there isn't on the moon is air resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.