• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
If any of the "questions" require GUI or JASS to work, so be it, but I would prefer anything to be GUI - I'm still nubish.

1. Ability: If Buffed Bonus
A good example what I am trying to get here is like the the Rogue's abilities in World of Warcraft; a normal ability with do extra damage if a buff/debuff for the target is on them. I would also like the same effect, but for a healing ability.

2. Ability: Precent of Base Weapon Damage Bonus
Also from WoW again, many of the spells in it now are based on weapon damage; is this effect remakeable in WC3? And if so, how?

3. Idea: is this what you would do?
Trying to do a talent system based on upgrades and the talent points are the "Lumber" resource. Is this a viable way to make a system for this instance?

4. Trigger/Ability: Custom abilities and NPCs
Is it possible to make a trigger that makes an enemy cast a custom ability. This may even fall under AI, but I know nothing of it, so if there is a good way to make it into a trigger, then please answer it this way.

Thanks for the help prior!

Level 29
WC3 has its limits...describe what ability you want from Wow and I'll try to make it for you...

#3 you may use multiboard instead of lumber resource for talent system, if the amount reaches say 500 then you get points/free skill, etc...

#4 Yes but computer units cant cast custom ability, so I guess you base the custom ability to a normal ability and create a NON computer caster called 'dummy' to cast your custom ability, then trigger it...

Level 3
#4 Yes but computer units cant cast custom ability, so I guess you base the custom ability to a normal ability and create a NON computer caster called 'dummy' to cast your custom ability, then trigger it...

Computer (any, actually) units can cast custom abilities just fine if you order them to. If you're using GUI, and you make a custom ability based off of chain lightning, you can just do this:
  • Use Custom CL
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit owned by Neutral Hostile Is attacked
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Orc Far Seer - Chain Lightning (Attacking unit)
There's some condition you can use to check if the unit has your custom ability, but the computer I'm using doesn't have TFT and it's not available on RoC. I can't remember exactly what it is.

If you want to make smart AI, it will take some time. This is just a simple example.

Level 29
@Sesamia

no you cant, even if you trigger it, maybe some instances but not always, I've tried it for dummy units even for normal units but it cant cast...i've tried it before and it doesnt work so i try the dummy units...

see the map sample as you can see, when the blademaster cast firebolt, he will also cast chain lightning, but he cant...

Last edited:
Level 3
Can't use the map because I don't have TFT.

I remember having trouble getting spells based off of channel and firebolt to be casted through triggers, but that doesn't mean that all spells are like that.

You're just giving the unit an order by using the orderstring of the spell. There's no reason why it won't work in most cases. I've done it before.

Level 4
I suppose I was thinking of this ability. To get in the game with simalar effects would be great. The additional weapon damage with each weapon and the combo points aren't needed.
Mutilate:
Instantly attacks with both weapons for $<percent>% weapon damage plus an additional 44 with each weapon. Damage is increased by 20% against Poisoned targets. Awards 2 combo points.

Level 3
check the map if you have TFT, you will see what I mean...

What I was thinking is that he gave a unit an ability he made, but since the AI doesn't know how to use that ability, he wanted to know if you could force the unit to cast it via triggers (making an AI script).

If a unit doesn't have an ability, then of course it can't cast it.

Ability: Precent of Base Weapon Damage Bonus
Also from WoW again, many of the spells in it now are based on weapon damage; is this effect remakeable in WC3? And if so, how?

this can be done, you just need to save the damage of items on an array then get that value when you cast a spell...

note: you would also need to trigger every spell...

Level 29
What I was thinking is that he gave a unit an ability he made, but since the AI doesn't know how to use that ability, he wanted to know if you could force the unit to cast it via triggers (making an AI script).

If a unit doesn't have an ability, then of course it can't cast it.

see the map, I already ordered the baldemaster to cast firebolt, that's OK but after it is casted a dummy unit appears and will cast chain lightning, but the dummy cant/will not cast it for reasons I dont know...

see the map, I already ordered the baldemaster to cast firebolt, that's OK but after it is casted a dummy unit appears and will cast chain lightning, but the dummy cant/will not cast it for reasons I dont know...

mana costs maybe? or he doesn't have the chain lightning, or he don't see the unit...

sPy

sPy

Level 21
4. AI's do cast custom spells, if they doesn't cast, it simply means they didn't learned it. I have a map which I just ordered AIs to attack-move. If you still wanted for proof, I have a map at epicwar called Winterdrops Arena, it's AI are pretty bad. However, they cast custom spell even though I didn't ordered them to do it all the time.

@Mckill : Your problems is fixed now.
I removed the order trigger, and all you got to do is attack the hero enemy.

btw, units can autocast the spells without orders if they are based on some default ability other than channel... but they still require some in-game events, like for example: a unit will only autocast war stomp if there are at least three enemy units around him...

and for channel based abilities, you need to trigger them always...

@sPy - the user wants to know if we can trigger enemy units to cast custom abilities, so it doesn't matter if they can actually do it without triggers... and I think he asked for this because he wanted to TRIGGER the ability casting to make it more like an AI...

(ex. if you don't trigger war stomp, the unit will auto-cast it every time it is available and there at at least 3 units around him, but what if you only want the unit to cast war stomp if its life is below 50%?, that's where triggering comes...)

@ mckill2009 - the cast range of firebolt seems to be pretty small so you need to get near the blademaster first...

@spy
doesnt really matter if you remove the order and make it attack, the point is the dummy unit cannot cast chain lightning, I will test the map when I'm home as I will try what Adiktuz say

hmmm... that's pretty weird, coz when I tested your map right away without editing, the chain lightning works fine... though the blue blademaster won't cast firebolt...

Status
Not open for further replies.