• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Some Noob Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
1) How do I add more terrain sets on my map? I've noticed many maps tend to have more terrain sets than the default. How were they added?

2) Forget about this one, I figured it out.

3) In my map, doing the 'pick every unit' and 'replace' tends to lag the map especially when it is done with buildings. Any idea of how to reduce the lag?

4) What causes large file sizes for maps aside from the obvious importing of models and loading screens? I'm fighting to reduce map size but I do not know how my map got so *large* without all the models. Is it the doodads that create the size? Is it the sheer amount of triggers?

Last edited:
Level 11
  1. Advanced > Modify Tileset
  2. I've no idea what you're talking about :p
  3. I guess your triggers leak. Check this thread.
  4. Well, usually, imports are to blame for large map files. Maybe if your map's size is large and you use a lot of doodads, units etc, the size goes up.

Level 6
1) Go to advanced - Modify tile set Note that you can only have so many tile sets in the original world editor some 3ed party editors circumvent this but I have herd it can cause instability.

2) Im afraid I don't know sorry I would imagin it has something to do with the actions under the "Image" genera (In Gui anyway)

3) For pick every unit you might not have destroyed the Unit Group leak if you don't know about leaks check out this tutorial http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/trigger-gui-editor-tutorials-279/basic-memory-leaks-5889/ You can remove the leak like this
  • Example
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set TempGroup = (Units within 512.00 of (Center of (Playable map
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_TempGroup)
Or alternatively like this

• Example 2
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
Even if you do destroy the leak I still wouldn't recommend using this rapidly eg every 1 second

As for Remove as far as I know the only reason it causes lag is because it uses an expensively long script if you simply manually remove the unit or use the "Chaos" ability that should fix the lag

4) Well imports of any kind come first sound imports take allot of file size Triggers and custom units doodads etc in the object editor add to the file size somewhat but much less than imports. If you have massive amounts of triggers and are concerned over file size you might consider optimizing your map (which also protects it) to reduce the file size.

Hope that helps

Edit: Bah Kercyn got it up faster well hope my post makes it a little clearer (I started posting before you finished posting so I didn't see your post Kercyn not trying to steal your credit or anything)

Level 5
Thanks guys. Rep added.

My issue with the lag is only when it replaces the units (only does it at max five times during a game, so not often). But when it replaces it, the map just lags and pauses for a few seconds. Very annoying.

I will try your anti-leak and see if that helps.

About the add map terrain, I have noticed some maps have like 20 different terrains. Why is this considered unstable? Unstable playing it? Seems like many maps have them. I guess I'll have to visit a third party editor for that then...

WEU is good to use for more terrain as is NEWGEN editor, try dl'ing those they should work.

I won't recommend using WEU, its really bad now. if you will use NEWGEN's tileset editor (enables you to have more than the normal number of tiles plus you can add tiles which are not allowed by normal WE[ie. tiles that are also used as cliffs].), you need to close/reopen the editor in order for the changes to occur (no need to save the map, the tileset editor will automatically save it plus if you save it again before closing/reopening the changes will not occur)

Status
Not open for further replies.