• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

How to save map size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've been thinking how importing custom skins/models to maps would take up a gigantic amount of space for the map itself, is there a way to actually reduce the amount of space used? I heard that if you modify the actual units given (ie. footman) towards the unit which you need for a game, then shouldn't it save space? Please, if anyone knows, or knows ways on how to reduce map size, please tell. Thank you.

Level 12
Well if you do protect your map it makes it harder for people to make rip-off maps of your map... Because when you deprotect it, all the imported files dissapear and are quite impossible to recover.

Dr Super Good said:
You can always release the unoptimized version on the side and are infact encouraged to.
Do you mean... you are encouraging him to release his map unoptimized?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Yes so people can open it to learn from or fix compatibilty problems with it if a WC3 patch released in the future messes it up. As I doubt he will care much for it in a few years time.

Also as long as you keep the versions updated regually, no hacked ones can take off (or pooly hacked ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.