• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

reduce map size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Greetings.
As some may know, others may not, I'm in the process of creating a map but have very little time, anyways some of the people that tested the map say its got a big file size. So now, I already took some of the unecessary units and just have the units/abilities I really need etc.

My question is if theres also any other way to reduce its file size but keeping all the units/abilities/spells etc?

And also, when I import and start making my custom unit from 0, it obviously takes up space, but what if I just imported and altered normal defalt units already in World Edit, would it take up less space?

Thanks
+rep and cred in the special thanks area of my map anyone who helps
Solved: Ramza

Last edited:
Level 22
Here is a great tool to reduce loading times. But before you use it, make a back-up file of your map (or you won't be able to edit it again).

And you can use the ''Calculate Shadows and Save Map'' option under File, which reduces loading times as well. You can use this any time, but it's pointless if your map isn't finished yet.

You can reduce the file size of your map with this.

Level 7
Here is a great tool to reduce loading times. But before you use it, make a back-up file of your map (or you won't be able to edit it again).

And you can use the ''Calculate Shadows and Save Map'' option under File, which reduces loading times as well. You can use this any time, but it's pointless if your map isn't finished yet.

You can reduce the file size of your map with this.

Truth be told!

Use vexorian's wc3 map optimizer
Also let me point some guides on making the map also a lot faster and maybe even reducing it's size a little more.

attachment.php

make sure you do the exact same thing
Also the button tweaks , click it -> make sure you got blizzard.j and common.j somewhere
Click Browse button and choose them.

You should also check all the other options.
That's good for GUI users as almost all of the compiled functions are BJ's
it helps the map optmizing the map making those BJ's more efficient.

Level 8
Truth be told!

Use vexorian's wc3 map optimizer
Also let me point some guides on making the map also a lot faster and maybe even reducing it's size a little more.

attachment.php

make sure you do the exact same thing
Also the button tweaks , click it -> make sure you got blizzard.j and common.j somewhere
Click Browse button and choose them.

You should also check all the other options.
That's good for GUI users as almost all of the compiled functions are BJ's
it helps the map optmizing the map making those BJ's more efficient.

Im confused o.o ...... And thats the tool he linked me to.

Level 30
Some? You'd better remove most, if unneeded. It's a miracle what a skin that takes up 1/3 of the size can look exactly, if not better than a 400kb model. Special Effects can be triggered, recolored via dummies, so that can reverse size, too. For icons, there is a plenty of hidden resources in Warcraft, including icons, such as PASAvatarofVengeance and etc.

Level 8
Some? You'd better remove most, if unneeded. It's a miracle what a skin that takes up 1/3 of the size can look exactly, if not better than a 400kb model. Special Effects can be triggered, recolored via dummies, so that can reverse size, too. For icons, there is a plenty of hidden resources in Warcraft, including icons, such as PASAvatarofVengeance and etc.

Dont worry i got that lol thanks :) now all i need is some major help with triggers and photoshop lol then ill just add a little more terrain and beta version is complete ^^

Level 8
If you need help with Photoshop, I can come in handy :3
Also, I know advanced triggering, so I could help with that, too.
And about terraining... I'm a terrainer with high skills.
Also can help with English, if needed.

Just ask :3

lol altough im currently in portugal, my english is fine (canadian ^^) triggering im trying but yeah i could use some major help and photoshop its just one thing very simple but i dont have any time :/ but if you wanna help i can give you something to work on (of course your name will appear in the special thanks area and any other area you helped in)

Level 4
Here's my suggestion :

1. Clean all unneeded objects in editor... Probably you have it as a "sample" or "example" thing.
2. Clean all comments. They increase the size well.
3. Be modular. Don't inline... Use looping when you do same actions and create a function when you often execute several same lines.

Use Vexorian Map Optimizer and Widgetizer for map efficiency.

Level 8
Here's my suggestion :

1. Clean all unneeded objects in editor... Probably you have it as a "sample" or "example" thing.
2. Clean all comments. They increase the size well.
3. Be modular. Don't inline... Use looping when you do same actions and create a function when you often execute several same lines.

Use Vexorian Map Optimizer and Widgetizer for map efficiency.

already did even before i started this thred.

Status
Not open for further replies.