• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map size questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
How can i safe space at my map?

Object editor: How much space a object needs? do they need less space if i change a standart object instead of creating a new one?

Jass: do code need much space or could it be that it doesnt really matter? Do i need less space by not using vjass or by using vjass?
Do Comments need much space? Is there a way to remove them automaticly for play versions?

Terrain: How does the map size matters? Could it be that blizz cliffs need less space, or is lowering terrain smaller? How much space needs every doodad? How much space needs every placed unit?

Imports:how i can compress models if needed? How i can remove unneded animations? Is there a easy way to change custom textures to ingame textures?

Level 19
it doesnt make any difference if you use a normal unit or not but it makes a difference if you e.g. copy a wisp to create a dummy unit and don't delete all unneeded things like constructed buildings, upgrades, etc.

you can compress textures with blp paletter
there is jpg compression and paletted compression which is better if the picture does not have many colors

decrease the size of models using mdx squisher
mdx quisher does not compress the file itself but makes it easier for other compression methods to take effect (mpqs are using compression)
just take a mdx file, squish it and put this and the other one each in one zip file
the squished one will be a lot smaller (and it doesn't decrease the quality ;)

these tools and a few others can be found either in the tool section or at wc3c (which was down last time I checked)

further you can delete animations with one of these tools made by this guy
http://www.oinkerwinkle.com/tools/index.html (probably the animation transfer thing)

there also are map optimizers which can do lots of stuff like scrambeling your variable names so you dont have "set unit_blablalba_dummy[udg_integer_of_doom] = whatever" but "set a = whatever"
some will also protect your map so you can't open it any more so BACK THEM UP!!!!
the loading time will be faster and many other things (best see tool section for this again)

placing doodads by trigger is somehow better than placing them one by one afaik but it is kind of tricky to extract the code

imports such as mp3 and wav take most space though
mp3s can't really be compressed much more without making them sound crappy but there is a midi workaround

and if there was an awesome and easy converter to make models using ingame textures noone would draw fitting textures for their units any longer :p

Level 9
how much smaller a map could be after optimzing it? Is there a chance to make a 10mb map fitting into the 8mb cap for bnet? I know it will depend, but it would be nice to know how much is possible.

Could it be that some models from the models section are already compressed? i have some models with 4kb size and less, is there a chance to make them even smaller?(alltought i dont know now if there is a need)

Status
Not open for further replies.