• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make model size smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
is there a specific reason that you're worried about your map being large? with the latest updates, max map size being 128mb and file download happening outside of the lobby, large maps aren't much of a worry to either the player or the map maker. if no one is complaining about it, then you might be okay not worrying about your file size just yet

most types of compression sacrifice quality. a save/load code is a good example of a type of compression that doesn't sacrifice quality but is limited in its effectiveness. typically, compression effectiveness and quality loss are direct tradeoffs
ive heard that model compression is typically the responsibility of the model's author. there is not a one-size-fits-all, best approach to compression, so typically the author is best suited to decide the what/where of how their model is compressed. if you have a model that seems unreasonably large, you might ask the author about its compression. while you can just blindly throw a model/texture through a compression tool, i don't know enough about the topic to start making suggestions

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Using Einstein’s formula e=mc², Professor John Kubiatowicz, a computer scientist at the University of California, Berkeley, calculated that filling a 4GB Kindle would increase by 0.000000000000000001 gram.
That is completely hidden by measuring error as far as the average person is concerned. It is highly likely that the gravitational pull of the moon will cause the physical electronics to change weight more as it moves.

Level 39
Hence my specific choice of the word "technically"; I was providing an interesting computation. Just because someone wouldn't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't have mass. Mass != weight, but I think you know that. Gravitational pull = weight. An electron has mass of 9.10938e-28 g and nobody would argue they don't technically have mass because the Moon exerts a force on them that is stronger than their own weight in Earth's gravity well.

Level 11
Hence my specific choice of the word "technically"; I was providing an interesting computation. Just because someone wouldn't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't have mass. Mass != weight, but I think you know that. Gravitational pull = weight. An electron has mass of 9.10938e-28 g and nobody would argue they don't technically have mass because the Moon exerts a force on them that is stronger than their own weight in Earth's gravity well.
is there a specific reason that you're worried about your map being large? with the latest updates, max map size being 128mb and file download happening outside of the lobby, large maps aren't much of a worry to either the player or the map maker. if no one is complaining about it, then you might be okay not worrying about your file size just yet

most types of compression sacrifice quality. a save/load code is a good example of a type of compression that doesn't sacrifice quality but is limited in its effectiveness. typically, compression effectiveness and quality loss are direct tradeoffs
ive heard that model compression is typically the responsibility of the model's author. there is not a one-size-fits-all, best approach to compression, so typically the author is best suited to decide the what/where of how their model is compressed. if you have a model that seems unreasonably large, you might ask the author about its compression. while you can just blindly throw a model/texture through a compression tool, i don't know enough about the topic to start making suggestions

I got 10 kb upload speed and i cant really do anything about it. So it hurts so hard for me to send 60 mb map.

Level 39
I got 10 kb upload speed
Your upload speed is roughly that of a 900 baud modem from 1993. That you might be living on such a speed in 2020 is absolutely insane. This is a problem you will never overcome unless you acquire new internet access, and honestly that you are paying for something so awful should be illegal. Fuck, use your phone as a wireless hotspot and it will be literally 10-100x more throughput.

Level 11
Sadly i got the best internet i can acess xddd for my place of living. My download speed is good but upload Memr this is why i was thinking if its possible to make models Smaller. One of my model is 3 mb

Level 39
I realize that but 10kbps upload is literally 25 years behind the times. With wireless access through cell phones more ubiquitous that is a preposterously slow connection speed, even for undeveloped areas. Hell, playing Wc3 online at 10kbps would be a stretch.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
3 MB is pretty large for a model. Especially if this is a classic model since those should be like 400 KB max. Reforged models should be around 1 MB or so.

There are possible work arounds to this. Such a you editing the map file without imports and then getting someone else with faster internet to do the merging with assets and upload. Thanks to the folder form of maps allowing one to import assets in bulk this process is a lot more trivial than it used to be. Literally all they would have to do is receive the folder form of the map, pull down the required assets (possibly from a private GIT repository or could storage solution), add the asset folder to the map folder, open the map in World editor, save as a map file and upload to the distribution sites.

In theory this could all be done from a remote virtual machine, if your internet is sufficient to stream from it and you are willing to pay the high price of such things. A "friend" is probably cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.