• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SOLVED: Classic map does not work on Reforged, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Solution: Do NOT put your maps into a folder within the game's install directory, as your maps will not load. Instead, put your maps into: "Users\YourUsername\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps"

Hey everyone, just popping in here to ask around a bit. I have 2 maps on Hive, namely: Headhunters CotR v1.17 & Headhunters Remake

Now that Reforged has been officially released, I wanted to make sure that my old maps still work, but unfortunately, I have had no luck so far. When trying to host a private session with either of the maps, the game stalls for a few seconds, and then eventually kicks you back out into the lobby.

Afaik, the maps only use what was originally present in Warcraft III, so no missing data or something like that, I would assume.

I have also tried opening my personal backup of the maps in the new world editor, and successfully saving them without issue. It updates the preview image to the new tile-set colors in Reforged, but the maps still just kick you back into the main menu.

Is this just a launch hiccup, or does anyone know if there is something else you need to do to make the maps work?

Cheers

Last edited:

~El

Level 17
Hey everyone, just popping in here to ask around a bit. I have 2 maps on Hive, namely: Headhunters CotR v1.17 & Headhunters Remake

Now that Reforged has been officially released, I wanted to make sure that my old maps still work, but unfortunately, I have had no luck so far. When trying to host a private session with either of the maps, the game stalls for a few seconds, and then eventually kicks you back out into the lobby.

Afaik, the maps only use what was originally present in Warcraft III, so no missing data or something like that, I would assume.

I have also tried opening my personal backup of the maps in the new world editor, and successfully saving them without issue. It updates the preview image to the new tile-set colors in Reforged, but the maps still just kick you back into the main menu.

Is this just a launch hiccup, or does anyone know if there is something else you need to do to make the maps work?

Cheers

If you used any weird tricks like memory hack, typecasting, etc. chances are your map would break. If you relied on bugs/weird behaviours in WC3 those could also break.

A lot of old maps broke and are no longer working, unfortunately. There's no complete list of the things that can go wrong.

If you're lucky, it's something simple like a bad model/texture. If you're unlucky, your triggers are busted and need reworking.

Level 3
Hmm not using any custom models or textures... apart from the custom image for the map preview of course. They are pretty complex maps too, so I would have no idea where to start, nor do I want to go through such a messy process, sigh...

The only memory related thing I remember, is that we needed to do some garbage collection when moving units around the map. We group AI controlled units within trigger zones and send that group on to the next zone, but the game (at least back then) did not remove those groups from memory, so in an extended session, those empty groups would pile up until the game would crash.

I also didn't do most of the logic in the maps, so I can only assume that everything is done within the allowed limits.

I guess there are no debugging tools available, like a log for when launching the maps or something...

Level 3
If you're using any sort of Map Protection I would suggest trying to run the map without it.

The public available map is using map protection, which is something I had forgotten at first, but the maps I have locally are not, and I also tried those out, with no success.

However, I did just now discover something interesting. I tried using the "Test Map" button from inside the editor, and it actually loads the map and everything. Could it be something wrong with my game install or something? I already tried "scan and repair", but I guess it could be something weird going on with the old files from my original WC3 install, since Reforged simply installed on top of that in my case. I think I will try a clean install and see if that gets me somewhere.

Level 3
I am shocked, seems like I just straight up cannot make ANY custom maps at all!

First, I tried a simple test where I booted up the editor and made an extremely simple map that literally only contains a player 1 and 2 starting point, gave it a name and then saved it. That map did the same thing, it just kicks you back to the lobby when I try and run it. Keep in mind, that I could start up the officially provided maps just fine.

I also messed around with the map and description text, in order to make sure I wasn't encountering some weird profanity filter issue, as I heard there had been issues with even official maps, where "booty" in the booty bay map would trigger the filter. Still no dice.

I then proceeded to completely wipe my game files and re-install the game from scratch. Once done, I tried to launch my previous test maps that I had made a backup of, still not working... okay...

To be 100% sure, I then made a brand new test map again, just to make sure there wasn't some weird corrupt map data or something, but as you can probably guess, still not working.

I also tried messing around with setting my editor and game to classic mode, but it still wouldn't work.

So in conclusion, I am completely incapable of making ANY maps for Warcraft III Reforged... Any other suggestions, as I can only conclude Blizzard fucked up something real bad at this point, and am tired of wasting my time on this BS.

The only thing left I can think of is the install directory of the game, (which in my case is E:\games\Warcraft III\) but if that is the cause, I would be astounded.

Level 3
Oh man this is so dumb, I have actually managed to figure out what was going on... and it is annoyingly simple too.

Seems like you can not store the maps in your game folder anymore, as that will make the game unable to open them properly from within the game (which in my case is E:\games\Warcraft III\Maps\).

This has worked fine in the past, and both classic and reforged were able to detect the map files just fine.

So, the solution is to put your maps into: "Users\YourUsername\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps"

Will update this thread for people who might have a similar issue starting custom maps. I have googled this for so long without any useful results, so yea...

Good news is that my maps seem to work just fine, so I wont have to change anything it seems :D

Level 20
Oh man this is so dumb, I have actually managed to figure out what was going on... and it is annoyingly simple too.

Seems like you can not store the maps in your game folder anymore, as that will make the game unable to open them properly from within the game (which in my case is E:\games\Warcraft III\Maps\).

This has worked fine in the past, and both classic and reforged were able to detect the map files just fine.

So, the solution is to put your maps into: "Users\YourUsername\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps"

Will update this thread for people who might have a similar issue starting custom maps. I have googled this for so long without any useful results, so yea...

Good news is that my maps seem to work just fine, so I wont have to change anything it seems :D
Thats... uh... interesting considering that's been the case for several patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.