• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Slide Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I need help with a spell I am creating. It is using Pyrietes iceblock model to stun the enemy for a short amount of time, after stun it is also slowed for a while. I am using Firebolt spell to create it so stun isnt a problem, my problem is to create a slow effect on the unit and add the slow buff. This is what I got ATM, it is not working though:(

• Slide effect
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set (Target unit of ability being cast) movement speed to 1.00
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of (Target unit of ability being cast) using Abilities\Weapons\ZigguratFrostMissile\ZigguratFrostMissile.mdl
      • Set Slide_effect = (Last created special effect)
      • Wait 10.00 seconds
      • Unit - Set (Target unit of ability being cast) movement speed to (Default movement speed of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Special Effect - Destroy Slide_effect

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
I need help with a spell I am creating. It is using Pyrietes iceblock model to stun the enemy for a short amount of time, after stun it is also slowed for a while. I am using Firebolt spell to create it so stun isnt a problem, my problem is to create a slow effect on the unit and add the slow buff. This is what I got ATM, it is not working though:(

• Slide effect
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set (Target unit of ability being cast) movement speed to 1.00
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of (Target unit of ability being cast) using Abilities\Weapons\ZigguratFrostMissile\ZigguratFrostMissile.mdl
      • Set Slide_effect = (Last created special effect)
      • Wait 10.00 seconds
      • Unit - Set (Target unit of ability being cast) movement speed to (Default movement speed of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Special Effect - Destroy Slide_effect

First off, please use the
  • tags around your GUI triggers. I've fixed it for you this time, but be sure to do it in the future. Second, there's a few things here that need to be fixed.
  • [list]
  • [*]Instead of [b]A unit Begins casting an ability[/b], please use [b]A unit Starts the effect of an ability[/b]. Why? The first event goes off before the unit has actually spent mana on the spell and cast it. The second even goes off when the spell has actually been cast and you want to use that instead.
  • [*]It's bad idea to set a unit's movement speed with triggers as this can cause conflicts with abilities. Instead, as GhostWolf suggested, you can have a periodic trigger that checks for units with the specific buff, create a dummy unit next to them, have the dummy unit cast slow, wait a second or two, and then remove the dummy unit.
  • [*]Finally, using the wait action over a long period of time is also not a good idea as it's not entirely reliable. The solution to this is also to use a dummy unit as stated above.
  • [*]You need a condition to check that the spell being cast is the correct spell.
  • [/list]

Status
Not open for further replies.