1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

SkulborbByZerox

Submitted by Zerox
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
After aproximately 15+ hours I've finished my model for Modeling Mini-Contest #3. It's a critter of my own creation that I call a Skulborb. This was something I thought up and liked the idea enough to actually do it. Enjoy.

----

Skullborb
[​IMG]
The skulborb is an ant-like creature found most commonly on barren worlds. With two antenna capable of electric shock and an explosive abdomen full of gas toxic to most smaller species, the skullborb is not one often hunted by other species. Terran Marines and Firebats have been known to destroy these creatures for sport due to their explosive nature. Though skulborbs have the capacity to be semi-dangerous most would find them rather docile as long as you just let them mind their own business. Skulborbs use their antennae to stun their prey into a state of temporary paralysis so that they may devour them slowly. Though the electric currents released from the antennae are only meant for stunning the skulborb's prey, if experienced in enough quantity it can be fatal.

Animations in Magos:

Note: There are more effects added in game and they loop perfectly. Magos and particles just don't loop well.

From Left to Right; Stand 1, Stand 2, Walk
[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

From Left to Right; Attack 1, Attack 2, Spell
[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Death (Note: In-game there is a purple blood pool left behind rather than it just disappearing):
[​IMG]
All in-game textures, custom animations from scratch, sound effects, particles, and only 426 polies. The skulborb will be a small light-weight addition to any map at only 65 kb.

Keywords:
Skulborb, Star, Craft, Star Craft, Starcraft, Zerox, Zerg, Zergling, Ant, Explosive, Explode, Nuke, Gas, Explosion, Pincers, Bug, Insect, Alien, Ant
Contents

SkulborbByZerox (Model)

Assets
Reviews
17:22, 2nd May 2010 shamanyouranus: Approved, rating after contest.
  1. 17:22, 2nd May 2010
    shamanyouranus: Approved, rating after contest.

2. Newominus

Newominus

Resources:
    Resources:
    I see crab legs, i only hope it tastes the same.

3. Zerox

Zerox

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Mmm I'm not sure I'd want to try to eat legs off an exploding ant. :xxd:

4. bok

bok

Resources:
    Resources:
    lol the death animation is awesome :thumbs_up:

5. Coffeeholic

Coffeeholic

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cool Particles + Blinking Eyes + Exploding Abdomen = Sexy 5/5

6. GrandKaiser

GrandKaiser

Resources:
    Resources:
    IMO really cool creation and very original. I also think the name fits the creature perfectly.

7. GolluM_KoMe

GolluM_KoMe

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Aha the beast is just oddly perfect xD. + the anim are fun.
    Clever use of ingame textures/models.

8. War_Golum

War_Golum

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I do not really like futuristic models, I prefer the medieval style.
    But congratulations, well done

Just needs to improve legs:
    [​IMG]

9. Stanakin

Stanakin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I love this one. It's my favorite in the contest.
    I do agree with War_Golum about the legs, though.
    Can I make an icon for it?

10. Oziris

Oziris

Resources:
    Icons:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks really scary :D wouldn't want to be alone with that guy in a dark room :O

11. Pecki

Pecki

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awsome model. Also i needed something for my new project which looks like a spider :)
    5/5

12. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    :D THIS one gets an A from me, for sheer uniqueness

13. Zerox

Zerox

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Go ahead and make one. I made a simple screenshot one with a glow. I'd love to see what you can do.

14. tee.dubs

tee.dubs

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Man, I had one of those crawling on my wall last night. It was so massive and it was just there, waiting until I fell asleep to slip into my bed and bite my foot and liquefy my internal organs with its intense thermo-venom. Luckily I managed to get the window open and it was silly enough to get itself in-between the window and the sill, leaving it wide open for a super orophus-squish leverage situation for it. It's corrosive acids burnt a massive hole in my wall and now tons of them can get in and out and I just don't know what to do.

15. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Your little gifs phailed, but i liked it.

16. Alfagar

Alfagar

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    W00t? This is awesome!

17. Zerox

Zerox

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks, it was probably the one I had the most fun with in it's creation.

Haha well thank you. I think that's the first time I've ever had a model of mine called "Sexy". :xxd:

I'm glad you like the name I came up with. I tried really hard to make this as original as possible. I even googled the name to make sure nothing else came up, that way I'd know it was mine. And I'm glad you like my creature as well.

Thanks. I'll admit it's a tad odd but it's supposed to be. Most alien creatures are. :smile:

You know I never thought about that. Even after going outside to look at real ants. Ah well I already have them set up this way and it'd be several hours to fix everything for that one small change. Maybe it's part centipede too so it has it's legs closer like they are? :huh:

Haha yeah I would totally freak out if one of these was on my bed when I went into my bedroom.

Ah cool. Well I assume that means your considering using it. That's awesome. I'd love to try your project when it's done.

Hah thanks. I wanted to do something that was really my own and not someone else's like every other model I've done. All the video game themed models are really just someone else's ideas. This one was mine. :cool:

Hah wow nice elaborate story. I love that kind of stuff. I must say you were pretty brave to try taking it on inside your own home. Good luck with all the babies that will now come in through the hole beneath your window. :thumbs_up:

It's hard to make something with all these effects loop well for a .gif. Especially with Magos but they loop perfectly in game with even more added effects and sounds. The .gifs just serve as a preview, even if it isn't a perfect preview.

@Death Minion: Thanks for commenting. It's nice to see that people like your creations.

18. Darkmoon Hero

Darkmoon Hero

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm not a huge fan of how far the sac-thing sticks out. It gives the whole thing an unbalanced appearance.
    Otherwise, this has got to be one of my all-time favorites. Love the backstory and animations. Nice job. :)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  19. Ken-E

Ken-E

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This reminds me Baneling from SC 2, I really love Insect-like model, 5/5 and I approve. And I'm using it on my map.