• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skinning Competition #1 - Poll

Which one should win?

• Dragon Warrior

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • The Tsunami Enforcer

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Footman

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Revenant Soldier

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
It is disappointing that only four entries were accepted.

I suppose it is entirely possible that some of the contestants did not adhere to the guidelines laid out in the challenge.

I will test the textures thoroughly and make my decision based on the aesthetic and artistic qualities of each.

Level 6
Tsunami Warrior, for the concept, composition, etc. The most impressive quality is that it strayed from the usual armoured soldier, and became a reptilian, beastial creature.

Also, are those teeth part of the Enforcer's body, or is it part of its skull-helm?

Level 8
I'm going to have to go with The_End. His is very original and unique. Werewulf's Dragon Soldier just looks like your average "evil" footman skin. I am not saying it is lacking in quality (seriously it's great) but it is very unoriginal and not very attractive. I also love the Revenant Footman. It is a very good idea, but It could have been done better ^_^ nice Job to all of you. But over all The_End's Tsunami Enforcer just rocks. 3 cheers for The_End??? Okay w/e all you get is my vote...

Level 5
i really wish i could have done it better, but the original file got destroyed(i don't know how:thumbs_down: )
so i had to start almost from the begining again on saturday:sad:
i will submit it in the resources for now and i will maybe do more on it later

Level 8
My vote goes to Werewulf, but THE_END is awesome, but I do not like this NAGA style anyway ... sorry for you.

Werewulf
+Detailed and overall nice theme
-Looks too dark in game

THE_END
+Well transformed into Naga style
-No Teamcolor

Others aren't as good as the first two, no offence,
so no flaming of mine to the 2 ones, so I left them out.

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 5
I posted a screenie I posted the blp, and I posted a demo of my footman ingame, go check out the old thread.
My submission
"Well here is GoldenRam's Submission."
My ScreenShot...

I got awarded rep because of my work... Even more proof...

Man... this sucks... a week down the tubes... but now it is too late to fix it.

Maybe I will try again next competition :sad:

Last edited:
Level 12
None of these skins really spring my fancy so I'm not going to vote. The best two entries would be Wulf's and End's, but both of these skin's designs fall very close to that of the footmans, and are more like edits of the footman than completely reskinning him.

Level 18
Meh I guess you are right
I did base alot of the skin on the original footman skin, well atleast the layout of everything
This model was somewhat hard to work with because you couldn't really change it, no matter what it would have that helmet, shield, and sword

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
I must admit that the quality of these entires wasn't as good as I had hoped for, but it was the entries nonetheless, as such I voted :p

Well, this was also the first skinning competition, I couldn't possibly tell the final result (except for a few ppl here, who's talent I already know of) I hope to see many more competitions in the near future with twice as many contestants and even higher quality :)

On a side note, yes, the Footman model sucks.
The next skinning competition will concern a *better* model.

Level 5
The quality overall might have improved if mine was counted... I thought I followed the criteria and then some... For the hell of it, can you post mine as a late entry and not count it? It would be nice to see it up there just to see I get one vote or something. I submitted a WIP a Blp, and a map with my unit in-game all in time...

Last edited:
i vote for THE_END (u little bastard u always pwn with ur little naga creatures ;)) for good idea, and changed concept of the skin as much as it was possible. Then comes Dragon, which is as high quality as THE_END's one, but i like the first one more. Third is revenant, which looks very blurry to me, and is much based of footman skin. Anyway it got nice concept, nontheless. Last is "Footman" which looks like a blob ingame and is 100% on footman skin.

Hope to see many more entries (and mine to) in next competition! Nice work people :smile:

Level 32
The textures submitted to the Skinning Competition #1 are all fine examples of Warcraft III artwork. Each of the competitors should be proud of their creations. Here are some screenshots that I captured in-game showing each of the footman dressed for battle:

fc00.jpg

fc01.jpg

Each of the entries had their own strengths and weaknesses. My evaluation if these excellent skins is as follows.

1. Dragon Warrior By Werewulf
    • + outstanding detail of face and helmet, excellent use of team colors
    • - not much
  2. Revenant Soldier By Odin
    • + chain mail armor, distinctive blue sword
    • - under detailed
  3. The Tsunami Enforcer By THE_END
    • + reptilian appearance, good detail
    • - no team color whatsoever
  4. Footman By InStars
    • + good detail, neon highlights
    • - no team color whatsoever

Team colors played a critical role in my judgment of the submissions: those without it lost points in spite of their many other fine characteristics. Great texturing gang, my WE armory is now a bit deeper thanks to your outstanding work!

BALLOT
Dragon Warrior By Werewulf

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

You don't have to, it's just his personal opinion.

Level 8
Why do team colors matter?

For me personal, you would have got my vote if you added teamcolor parts, cause Werewulf was great but looks too dark in game, your would be perfect with TC, well and the other 2 ones, do not match yours with them, so Werewulf got my vote.

Teamcolor, if you simple play it Multiplayer, you need different teamcolors to check the situation, what's yours and what the enemy, so simple to make a differents in game, wouldn't be so bad if you create your own map/campaign where you fight against creeps with your skins on it, there you would not need them, but these skins should be useable for everyone, so please add teamcolor next time, this is not big deal.

We got a winner, Werewulf
winner.gif

Well done THE_END for 2. place and 3. place to Odin & InStars

Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.