• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skinners: Terrain Textures Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Oke, I was looking around in the skin section and gues what?
There are hardly any futuristic terrain textures/cliffs!
(There is a cliff but it has a wrong screen, the actual cliff sucks.)

I would like somebody to make a whole terrain texture (perhaps a pack) that includes cliffs and at least 3 different textures.
Now what do I want these to look like?

Think about a space ship! I would like to see some good textures and cliffs that could fit with a space ship.

Base them of citadel cliffs, the outland cliff that is with it could be good for planets.
The citadel cliff however needs to have this spaceship feeling.
Perhaps some tubes or electricity lines running through them?

Be creative, as long as it looks like a space ship I'm fine.

(Oh and as an extra note I would like to keep the normal textures of outland that it has like rough dirt. :p)

- Thanks in advance, you wont be helping only me, but alot of other people aswell.

Level 10
FINE. I'll do it. I just started the first one (a checkerplate tile)... but if you want two more tiles and a cliff then find me examples to use as a reference. I don't care if they are screenshots of other games or whatever, just as long as you can imagine it as a war3 texture.

Be quick tho, I only got like tomoro to do this

EDIT- I've decided I'll do a checker plate, steel plate and steel grill for the tiles, just find me a good example of a 'space ship' wall

Last edited:
Level 17
I'll try to make a picture (with a camera) of an old game of mine.
Timesplitters FP, it has this area that looked what I wanted.

Some links of what u can use:
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

I would liek to have some tubes or something inside the walls or w/e, it's pretty free, as long as it looks like a spaceship or space port or anything space base like. :p
Edit: Here are the pictures. There are a bit low-q because it's a tv but I hope you can see it.

(It's from the game Time Splitters Future Perfect - Mars Prison Map - Last part where u have to kill the prisoner. (Maybe u know it.)

Last edited:
Level 10
....ok now I know why nobody makes tiles.... basically coz it's a pain in the ass to do lol. I scrapped what I was working on and started doing tiles closer to the screenshot example, heres the first one -

newtile.jpg

newtile2.jpg

... it's pretty simple I know, I was originally trying to do some tricked out tiles but man it's hard to get everything to line up. I'll try do some work on the cliff next

Last edited:
Level 10
yeah well this tile is based of the city square tile (the basic 256x256 tileset) so there is really only 1 tile spare for variation....

... I could change it tho to replace the 512x256 citidel_Smallbricks tile and throw in alot of hatches and grates etc. so you can spice it up a bit when terraining. Should I put a single black square in the variation so that you can use it to outline the tops of the cliff walls and the exterior ground of the ship?

Next tho I am still going to look at doing the cliff, then I'll get onto that. If I end up with time after those two are done I'll make a post and archway doodad like the arches in the screenshot so you can place them around the map... but that's only a maybe

Level 17
... I could change it tho to replace the 512x256 citidel_Smallbricks tile and throw in alot of hatches and grates etc. so you can spice it up a bit when terraining.

Please do so! =D But decide for yourself on which one you apply it to (checker plate, steel plate and steel grill).

Should I put a single black square in the variation so that you can use it to outline the tops of the cliff walls and the exterior ground of the ship?

I have no clue what u mean... xD

Level 10
haha thanks :grin:

...here's a couple of the tile variations I have done so far.... next up I'll do some cracked tiles and some piping underneath some of the tiles.

spacetile2.jpg

Right now it's looking like once the tilepack is converted to reduced size .blp's it should come to around 250-300kb and still look pretty good. I can't make it any smaller then that, but I think that's a reasonable size anyways

Level 10
I dunno if I've got the time to. Tomorrow is my last day on holidays and then I'm back to work... so I'll concentrate on getting the main tiles done first. I already had to make a slightly dark version of the main tile because when you place cliffs it automatically borders them with a certain tile. It's useful tho, you can use it to draw lines across your corridors and such.

spacetile3.jpg

EDIT - oh if you mean make 1 of the variations a dark green tile like that, then yeah i can do that

Level 10
argh I just realised I drew the lighting on the tiles opposite to the ingame lighting lol. The fix shouldn't be much more then mirroring each tile to face the right way though.

Yeah I've got alot of important stuff to do aside from work, so I'm going to have to drop the game editing for a few months unfortunately... so the sooner I get this completed the sooner I can direct my attention to where it needs to be.

spacetile4.jpg

Last edited:
Level 10
:) thx dude. Nice name btw, i rotfl'd.

ahhhh I think I've reversed all the tiles to show the lighting on the correct side. Now I can continue working on the variations, woo

spacetile5.jpg

lol I liked it the other way better, seemed more natural. I'm going to redo the alternate checkerplate, looks crap.

Level 10
Ta.... I've got 6 more variations to go, 1 of them will be the dark greenish squares and I'll work out the other 5 tomorrow. From there I'll just throw some bullet holes and other decals into the cliffs and it'll be done :)

spacetile6.jpg

Once I've done all the variations I'll tighten them up so they still look good at this reduced filesize (^this is at 75%, 120kb for the 512x256 tile)

Level 10
Ok I'm not really happy with it but it's been a good learning curve, as I've never done a tileset before. I think I'll leave this one at this point, it's useable. It's quite cartoony and repetative as I didn't want to go into too much detail just to find nothing lines up. It was fun to make tho so I will probably make a more advanced and detailed tileset in the near future.

Closeup -
demotile1.jpg

Battle -
demotile3.jpg

In-game view -
demotile2.jpg

Ok the paths for the files are as follows (for use with the black citadel) -

cliff.blp - ReplaceableTextures\Cliff\Cliff1.blp

tile.blp - terrainart\blackcitadel\citadel_smallbricks.blp

edge.blp - terrainart\blackcitadel\citadel_darktiles.blp

note that the cliff tile always uses the same path no matter what tileset is used. Also, the tiles work more effective with the black citadel tileset if you shift the 'tile.blp' all the way right in the 'modify tileset' tool under the advanced tab. This way it overlaps the edge tile and becomes more dominant.

Give it a go, if you like it then use it, if it needs a little work then I'll touch it up but if it needs alot of work I'll try start on a new set.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.