• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cliff model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Hi!
I was struggling with the pathing of cliffs in my map, and thought of a sweet idea:
What if there was a destructible "block" model that could use the textures of the map like bridges do.
Alternately, just use any tileset as a cliff, and make players import the right path themselves.

So basically this, but as a model. (one for a low cliff, and one for a tall one)

test.png

Is this doable by some kind soul of the hive? :)

Level 21
As The_Silent already said, you don't really need custom models to do that, but you need to use multiple destructibles, since each variation of each side and each corner is a separate model.
Cliffs.jpg

The right block is raised terrain and the left one is made out of 4 destructibles (Doodads\Terrain\CityCliffs\CityCliffsBBAA0.mdl)

Level 26
Thanks for the answers!
It's a smart solution, but with a few drawbacks:
You have to use 4 doodads for each block, which is kinda unefficent. It could also be a good thing though if you want more flexible walls.
There's a small ground piece sticking out in the bottom of the model that is supposed to cover the ground, which is kinda ugly looking. Lowering the model just under the terrain could solve this though, but it will be a lot trickier on terrain that isn't flat. Also, stacking the models on top of each other (if you want walls that are three levels high for example) won't work.

I think It would be easier to have the wall piece as a separate model. The path is a good place to start maybe, but I can't model stuff at all... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.