• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skeldritch, The Ancient Demon W.I.P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
So after my last model, I wanted to do something a little more challenging. I decided to make a boss from The Legend of Zelda. One boss that popped in my mind was Skeldritch from Spirit Tracks. And I thought it would look pretty cool.

Here's a picture for reference.
skeldritch-png.274451

Also here's a W.I.P of what I have right now.
wip1-png.274452

It doesn't look too good at the moment and I still need to add cannon-thingies to the spine.

Attachments

• Skeldritch.png
    Skeldritch.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 341
  • WIP1.PNG
    WIP1.PNG
    195.1 KB · Views: 909
Level 30
So after my last model, I wanted to do something a little more challenging. I decided to make a boss from The Legend of Zelda. One boss that popped in my mind was Skeldritch from Spirit Tracks. And I thought it would look pretty cool.

Here's a picture for reference.
skeldritch-png.274451

Also here's a W.I.P of what I have right now.
wip1-png.274452

It doesn't look too good at the moment and I still need to add cannon-thingies to the spine.

Nice. Do you mind if i add him later here, when he's finished.

Level 30
Sure! That would be awesome actually!

I am doing basically a Stalfos race in Warcraft 3. So i am going to make a Graveyard for the Stalfos Race in the Future.

Also their playing style will be a lot different than normal.

Question: Would Skeldritch be stationary or would he be moving?

It is important i know this so that i can plan for the Race and Campaign in the future.

Level 14
I am doing basically a Stalfos race in Warcraft 3. So i am going to make a Graveyard for the Stalfos Race in the Future.

Also their playing style will be a lot different than normal.

Question: Would Skeldritch be stationary or would he be moving?

It is important i know this so that i can plan for the Race and Campaign in the future.
I could make him move, but in the game he is stationary (until he's a head). I think I should stay true to the game and make him stationary. Kind of like a watch tower. What do you think?

Level 30
I could make him move, but in the game he is stationary (until he's a head). I think I should stay true to the game and make him stationary. Kind of like a watch tower. What do you think?

It's kind of difficult to give him a major role in a campaign aside from a dungeon boss.

If he would be a Dungeon boss then his Story would be that he is a creation of Bongo Bongo, who was imprisoned in the Shadow temple. Like Deadhand he would be found there.

The Stalfos created by Bongo Bongo would be the first generation-Stalfos or the original Staflos.

Edit: Do what you think is right. If you want him to be stationary then what i wrote would basically be Skeldritch's Story.

Last edited:
Level 14
It's kind of difficult to give him a major role in a campaign aside from a dungeon boss.

If he would be a Dungeon boss then his Story would be that he is a creation of Bongo Bongo, who was imprisoned in the Shadow temple. Like Deadhand he would be found there.

The Stalfos created by Bongo Bongo would be the first generation-Stalfos or the original Staflos.

Edit: Do what you think is right. If you want him to be stationary then what i wrote would basically be Skeldritch's Story.

Sorry for the late response, I go to church on Sundays.

I'm fine with any kind of story you give him :)

I'll give him a Walk animation just in case :) but I think he should be mainly stationary.

Level 30
@Mister_Haudrauf
Alright, so I want to make bones for the model, what's the best way to do that?

I would create the bones via magos and move them to the desired position in Mdlvis.
But before i create the bones i first make myself a mental image and look where the bones are best suited.

To create bones: 1.go to node manager 2.Right click 3.Click on Create Bone

Level 14
Alright I have a problem. I added the bones and selected the vertices I wanted, but when I go to the 'Movement' settings and rotate it, it ends up looking something like this.

Is there a way I can fix it?
mdlvis-problem-png.274601

Attachments

• Mdlvis problem.PNG
    Mdlvis problem.PNG
    213.6 KB · Views: 371
Level 30
@Mister_Haudrauf

Whats the best way to add a hero glow to a model?

Before you do anything to your model: READ THE SHORT/LONG TUTORIAL CAREFULLY.

You take the Paladin model for example.

You open it in magos and then you click on the glow with Ctrl + Left click. It will blink shortly. Then you open geoset manager and right click on the blue marked geoset and click on 'export geoset'.

Then you open Skeledritch and then open texture manager; right click and click on 'Create Empty'.

Then you right click again on the created texture and then on 'edit':

This will appear:
12.PNG

You see the number 0 for you. Replace that with 2 and click on Ok.

Then you go to the material manager and right click and then click on 'Create New'
You select the 'ReplacableID 2', set the 'filter mode' to Additive and click on Ok.

Then the final part you go to the geoset manager and import the Hero glow geoset and give it the Material, but i would firstly create a bone. Like this:
TeamGlow.PNG
It must a bone that isn't connected to any other bone.

THEN i import the geoset and set everything that needs to be set.

I hope it isn't to confusing. You see in my head is Chaos ruling.

Level 30
@Mister_Haudrauf @-Grendel

Do you guys have a suggestion on what texture I can use for the spine other than the frostwyrm texture?

The texture itself isn't the only thing that could be improved.

Look at my Stallord's spine. Yours is disconnected while his are connected. Also it uses the skeleton texture in a specific way.

Level 14
Now that i look at a Video of Skeldritch (I have the game; i have fought him twice) You could do something similar for his birth animation like in the Video.

Also his "laser attack" that he uses in the Video can also be replicated to your model. (I could help there if you want.)

How would you do the laser animation? Would it just be an animation and a missle, or what?

Level 30
How would you do the laser animation? Would it just be an animation and a missle, or what?

No. For me it's simple, but it's quite complicated if it's written in words.

You know what I download the current version of your Skeldritch and do everything i mentioned myself and give the model to you so you can look it up and learn from it.

I probably even give it a better, more detailed helmet and also do a little bit of cleaning up.

Level 14
No. For me it's simple, but it's quite complicated if it's written in words.

You know what I download the current version of your Skeldritch and do everything i mentioned myself and give the model to you so you can look it up and learn from it.

I probably even give it a better, more detailed helmet and also do a little bit of cleaning up.
Yeah can you do that, but can you tell me what you did so I can look at it for future reference.

Level 30
Okay I noticed several things that needs your attention.
  • There are to many bones. (Can be forgiven; you're still learning)
  • You have to many geosets of the same thing: the spine. try to combine them somehow to lessen the Geoset number. Aside from the 8 I added, because of the detailed Helmet.

• Also some geosets like the Skull is partly wrong attached. It only has to be attached to 'Bone_Head'.

I didn't do anything else, because i want you to try to fix atleast the first two points.

Here is the model:
SkeldritchTheAncientDemon.mdx

and a Screenshot:

Skeldritch.PNG

Attachments

• SkeldritchTheAncientDemon.mdx
    137.4 KB · Views: 85
Level 14
  • You have to many geosets of the same thing: the spine. try to combine them somehow to lessen the Geoset number. Aside from the 8 I added, because of the detailed Helmet.
  • Also some geosets like the Skull is partly wrong attached. It only has to be attached to 'Bone_Head'.

I didn't do anything else, because i want you to try to fix atleast the first two points.

Here is the model:

and a Screenshot:

Alright, I'll try to fix it.

Would it mess up the animations if I combined the geosets?

Also, thanks for making that helmet! It looks amazing!

Level 14

Here is the model:

and a Screenshot:

Would I have to reattach bones to the correct verticies on the geoset?

Level 30

Here's an example how i would to this.

BoneExample.PNG

It would look like this:

NodeExample.PNG

I wouldn't move 'Bone_Origin'. only during death animation.

The Helpers are there to help move things that you have attached to another bone.
For example:
If i move 'Helper_Jaw' it would also move 'Bone_Jaw' even if there are no vertices attached to 'helper_Jaw'.

Would I have to reattach bones to the correct verticies on the geoset?

Maybe. I don't know. Normally it would be the other way around: You have to attach the correct vertices to the bones. I put an example on how i would make the bone-structure without the Teamglow and the portrait wall of course.

Level 14
Here's an example how i would to this.

It would look like this:

I wouldn't move 'Bone_Origin'. only during death animation.

The Helpers are there to help move things that you have attached to another bone.
For example:
If i move 'Helper_Jaw' it would also move 'Bone_Jaw' even if there are no vertices attached to 'helper_Jaw'.

Maybe. I don't know. Normally it would be the other way around: You have to attach the correct vertices to the bones. I put an example on how i would make the bone-structure without the Teamglow and the portrait wall of course.

I'll have to redo the animations right?

Level 14

Here is the model:

and a Screenshot:

Okay, do I have to reduce the geoset count? Will it reduce filesize?

Level 30
Okay, do I have to reduce the geoset count? Will it reduce filesize?

I don't know if it will reduce the filesize, but i do know that it will be easier to keep an eye on that if the Spines are one geoset. (You know what i mean if you make a building. They must have so many geosets that you will lose yourself in it.)
Your model doesn't have the need for so many separate spine geosets.

The only Reason to have so many geosets is if the model would fall apart and that isn't currently the case. Aside from the Head of course.

Level 14
I don't know if it will reduce the filesize, but i do know that it will be easier to keep an eye on that if the Spines are one geoset. (You know what i mean if you make a building. They must have so many geosets that you will lose yourself in it.)
Your model doesn't have the need for so many separate spine geosets.

The only Reason to have so many geosets is if the model would fall apart and that isn't currently the case. Aside from the Head of course.
OK, I made them all in one geoset

Level 30

Attachments

• SkeldritchTheAncientDemon.mdx
    133.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Level 30
@Mister_Haudrauf How do I add a death sound. I want to add the Infernal death sound, because they sound alike.

7:02

That's with the help of an Event Object.
You create them via node manager. (Right click and click on 'create event object')

This is their symbol:
CameraSymbol.PNG

If you double click on them then you get this interface:
1.PNG

(This is a picture taken from the Warmill)

The number "164967" (can be different; depending on model) is the frame that this sound or ubersplat or whatever plays on.

To create a frame for an event object you have to right click and click 'Create New'.
The rest should selfexplainable.

Level 14
That's with the help of an Event Object.
You create them via node manager. (Right click and click on 'create event object')

This is their symbol:
View attachment 275026

If you double click on them then you get this interface:
View attachment 275027
(This is a picture taken from the Warmill)

The number "164967" (can be different; depending on model) is the frame that this sound or ubersplat or whatever plays on.

To create a frame for an event object you have to right click and click 'Create New'.
The rest should selfexplainable.
Alright it worked thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.