• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Site Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I'm deeply saddened to inform the community that as of April 2 2005, Wc3Sear.ch will be shutting down. All files will be removed off the server and there will be no access to the site.

Unfortunately Darky28 is in deep financial difficulty. As you may have noticed, he has been absent from the site for a number of months because of legality issues. He has attempted to recover the site from its difficulty, but with no avail, and although he has tried to cover it up the site will be shutting down.

On behalf of Darky and all of the staff on Wc33Sear.ch, we wish you great success, and we hope you will be able to find some kind of substitute for this great site.

Sincerely,
oz02 & the Wc3Sear.ch Staff.

Level 1
O god...

This is a very sad day. I love this site, I have used it many times to find great files and maps. I had just joined only recently and now this news comes up. Darky you and your site will be greatly missed. My only hope is that you leave us knowing that your site had made a diffrence in many a map makers life, even thows who waited till the last minute to join.
To all who work on wc3sear.ch, you will be missed and NO site will ever come close to matching the greatness of this site. I am sorry that I was not able to contribute any of my own maps (I was getting around to it).

May the spirits guide your path to a better place, and may all your maps be creative. :cry: :)

Level 2
Legality issues?! i mean how the heck could he get in trouble with the law! now no more models and stuff :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
but you could probably transfer the models to another site and link people to there

Level 2
buster

Buster should get banned because he copied blizzard models and never did some by himself :evil: :evil: :evil: i wonder iffffffffff..............

Level 22
The domino effect will happen. when this site goes, wc3campaigns, being that this site is their download section, will suffer too, so don't think that they will be the next haven.

As for the downloads, you may want to grab what you can now...wether its maps, models, skins or whatnot.

As for the legality issue, darky has told me he's recieved notices from Blizz in the past regarding us illegally posting official materials on our site, such as official art, maps, and materials for illegal file alteration (namely mods). He supposed the copyright disclaimer at the bottom of the main page would settle that matter but blizz was "less then impressed" from what I hear. Not much you can do when they have their own in-house pencil-pushing lawyers while we have...well....darky.

In case you don't know, blizz has really been cracking down on sites recently, especially since the launch of wow. It was only a matter of time.

Elitist bastards...
-VGsatomi

Level 10
i was talkiing to the "SecureBot@USEast" in the channel "Open Tech Support" and this is what he said when i told him what VGSatomi said about what was happening
-ME <This is a quote from one of the mods>
-Me <as for the legality issue, darky has told me he's recieved notices from Blizz in the past regarding us illegally posting official materials on our site, such as official art, maps, and materials for illegal file alteration (namely mods).>

-Him <Yes, those Vivendi Unversal lawyers are tough.>
-Him <That's copyright infringement>
-Me <What id they were posted by users and not creators?>
-HIM <That doesnt matter>
-HIM <Users on the site>
-Me <well that's gay>
-HIM <Yup, well like i said, they are tough>
-ME <yup>
-HIM <well now that it is quiet in here, im gonna go get a subway>

Level 3
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I just became member a few days ago, but this is the best site on earth will really miss it.

BEFORE THE SITE IS CLOSED I WOULD THANK THE STAFF FOR THE GREAT WORK THEY HAVE DONE...

- Blade.dk :cry:

War3 will probably die together with this site...

Level 3
~cry~ ~cry~ ~cry~ can't you guys at least like back all the files up on you own computers? If not, I got more than enough room on my computer! this is just terrible for all those GREAT models and skins and cinemas to just go to waste! I can hold all the models in my Gmail inbox for you guys until something can be done! [email protected] - Will help keep alive the great models!! :D ~cries more~

Level 2
Please let this be a aprils fool joke. If not could someone back up all the filse on another server until a substitute for this stie can be found. If they wern't all in seperate files I'd do it myself. I don't suppose a mod(or whoever can) wants to compress all the files into one massive package.

I'm guessing I'll be at the Hubb from now on. If it would help I'm sure everyone would be willing to donate.

Level 2
This....this..is like when someone you love dies

This....this..is like when someone you love dies.i really hope that it is a april joke but i cant tell if it is cus i dont know anything about this illigal thing so im praying that it is only a joke or that all the files will be stored on a safe server.
If this is no joke i promise that i will go to church every sunday and pray for this site and that Darky will recover from this loss

actually shutting down this site could make me stop sitting in front of the computer all the time which prevents me from focusing on my education. So 60% of my brain says to keep the site and 20% says to shut it down the rest of my brain says "dont care as long as you dont hit yourself in the head with a hammer."

I cant emagine how my life would be without this site it has made me glad it has made me sad and it has mede me fell like i was important. But back to the reallity.Still this is wierd i have a felling i will never find a site that offers so great a help at mapmaking which makes me even more sad but i know that it is Darky who must be the most sad of us all.

if you,Darky ever sees this post know that you will always be remembered as a hero by me.

Christian Egebro Grønning a true fan of WC3SEAR.CH

Level 2
Blade.dk said:
if you,Darky ever sees this post know that you will always be remembered as a hero by me.

And me...

i think by everyone on the site aswell. if it wasnt for this site my warcraft card game map wouldnt have been downloaded over 300 times and id wouldnt realise people liked it and would be in the reject bin right now with my other maps.

so if this isnt an april fool, ill miss this site

Level 11
The reason is unknown but it is clear that he didn't enter on the site for quite some time. You may wonder into the same way: "WHY?". And the answer would be like... "Oh, he is far too busy to do this". But come on, checking 5 minutes every day doesn't mean too busy. He may have other reasons and we can't blame him for anything. Even for not giving these news himself. So stop blaming Darky... Or blaming oz02 for telling the news. It was his duty as the second in grade after Darky.

Yes, VGSatomi has the same status but still, oz02 has been for much longer our super mod.

~Daelin

Level 11
Umm... Dark Dragon. This why stuff is sooo nooby. If the site would've closed for christmas, you would've put the same question? Well, no. It probably past (as I said before) a couple of months since Darky didn't pay and I suppose that its beginning of month => Vbbulleting was probably something like: "Get your luggages and leave." I don't know all the details. If you want more info PM Oz02, or why not, Darky!

~Daelin

I say. this is a complete load o' bullshit. first. why wouldn't Darky post this instead of 'Happy Easter Holidays!' second. Why isn't Darky posting it now. say he got on AIM and told oz02 this. and then to post it. why wouldn't he just do it himself. I'd imagine the most important news post on the site would deserve an admins attention. hmm?. third. What would the mod nameplates being un-shined have to do with ANYTHING! that's a color. it's probably just a two-time to this dumb April Fools joke.

i hope.

Level 1
...If it wasn't an April Fools joke then they wouldn't have posted it on April first, so that people didn't think that it was an April Fools joke.

Therefore, its an April Fools joke, and you guys are evil for making all of these poor, innocent people so scared.

Level 11
It is a April Fools joke..I saw someone was deleted posts with fact. :D

I think meaning of this joke is only the appreciate of this great site.

If someone found evidence, that will be deleted..by mods ofcource, so nice try for joke 8)
(if mods aren't needed, so why u still deleting posts,lol)

Level 2
I t was just a coincidence that it was posted on apri the first :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: sniffffffffffff :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: by the way did darky create wc3campaigns.com or what :? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Level 11
Hmm thats sad i had worked many weeks on a diablo 1 campaigns, but now i can delete my campaigns, cuz there is no site i can upload it :cry:

This is Blizzard biggest mistake, no one will make custom maps. No one will play costum maps on B-net cuz now one make em.

Maybe this is Blizzard point. They dont want to update Warcraft III they will only work on WoW, so they kill the best warcraft 3 site.

Goodbye peopels, Goodbye Warcraft AND GOODBYE BLIZZARD.

And ofcause goodbye Darky :cry: :cry: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.