• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple Loading Screen

Level 12

Simple Loading Screen

By Aesthetics

I - Required Tools and Files

Irfanview (Click "Download" on the left sidebar, click on a mirror, download Infranview, and set it up. Next, next, agree, next, next...)

Warcraft III Viewer
(Just open it with a program like winrar and run the executable later on when directed)

II - Implementation

LoadingScreen.mdx

Please download the file above.

Step 1) Select your image, 800x600 or 1024x768 (You can use Infranview to resize it if it's too big). Make sure your image is not below 512 in both dimensions.
Step1.jpg
Step 2) Open the image in Infranview and click Image -> Resize/Resample
Step2.jpg
Step 3) Uncheck "Preserve Aspect Ratio" and select "Resize (Faster)". Now set the width and height of the resize to 512.
Step3.jpg
Step 4) File -> Save As... then save your image as a TGA file.
Step4.jpg
Step 5) Open Warcraft 3 Viewer and Press Ctrl V. Browse for your TGA file and save it as BLP.
Step5.jpg
Step 6) Wc3 Viewer will ask you about the Quality of Compression. Set it to an integer between 50 or 75 depending on the quality you prefer then confirm. Wc3 Viewer will probably ask you if you want to add an Alpha Channel to your image, just click Yes and close Wc3 Viewer.
Step6.jpg
Step 7) Open your map, press F12 and press CTRL I. Import LoadingScreen.mdx.
Step7.jpg
Step 8) Import your BLP file, check "Custom Path" and change the file's path to "FullScreen.blp" without the quotes.
Step8.jpg
Step 9) Finally, go to Scenario -> Map Loading Screen, check "Use Imported File" then select war3Imported\LoadingScreen.mdx from the drop-down list.
Step9.jpg
Congratulations on your loading screen! If your loading screen didn't show, please try the troubleshoot steps below.
Finished.jpg

III - Troubleshooting

If you have problems with your loading screen, try these steps in order;

1. Check if you changed the path of your BLP file correctly. It should read FullScreen.blp

2. Check if you resized your image to 512x512.

3. Did you save your file as TGA then convert it to BLP?

4. If you tried all the steps above, it's best to repeat the whole process again. If all else fails, PM me describing your issue and I'll try my best to help you.

IV - Conclusion

I hoped you learned how to create a simple loading screen from this tutorial.

Credits go to SFilip for his awesome and original tutorial at:
How to: Make a Loading Screen Tutorial - Also features Hi-Definition loading screen and loading screens with bars!

Simplified by Aesthetics.

Attachments

• LoadingScreen.mdx
    1.3 KB · Views: 4,867
Last edited:
Level 12
1) Attach the loading screen file to the post, not the pastebin. Pastebins expire.
2) Why the heck is every step in its own [box]? Remove those.
3) Use

tags

Thanks for your time and review. I'm working on the issues you mentioned above. :thumbs_up:

EDIT: Fixed all of it. (From what I know...) If I've done anything wrong again please tell me. :confused:

Level 16
Or just use the WEU Unlimited (only for loading screen)

Open WEU Enhancer -> Map edit -> import the picture u want have (1024x768) > and picture automatic splited and mdx created.

First try: 15 sec used
Second and more trys: 5 sec used

The easiest way I bet - but your tutorial is cool and useful for everyone 10/10

Level 12
There is already a tutorial about Loading Screens

and... There's a faster way to make a loading screen with War3 Model Editor

But, after all, the tutorial is good :D 7/10 for his simplicity but not 10/10 because there are no images which may help us to understand...

I tried uploading images but they came out so small that you couldn't see anything. Didn't resize the images yet so I guess no screenshots for now. The tutorial you linked to makes use of the Hi-Definition loading screen which is different from my lower quality yet smaller loading screen. And finally with the War3 Model Editor, some people can't open it apparently from the posts, so I guess people could use a backup method like this tutorial.

Or just use the WEU Unlimited (only for loading screen)

Open WEU Enhancer -> Map edit -> import the picture u want have (1024x768) > and picture automatic splited and mdx created.

First try: 15 sec used
Second and more trys: 5 sec used

The easiest way I bet - but your tutorial is cool and useful for everyone 10/10

WEU is a load of crap and shouldn't be used at all. :p

Level 6
WEU is a load of crap and shouldn't be used at all. :p

Oh cmon, its not true, there are some useful things people can use on it but the rest is a bunch of crap ^^

No, this is lower quality and smaller.

But I will add thee HD Loading Screen section if I have time. :thumbs_up:

Ah ok, at the moment the tutorial is repeated because there is another tutorial showing how to make a standard quality Loading Screen, but ye, after you add the explanation for the HD loading screens it'll be sightly different and better because it'll be more complex. :)

Edit: Forgot to tell you something about the images...

You're trying to upload your images to Imageshack for sure, well, imageshack sucks, try Photobucket, with it you can resize, write cute textes on your image, etc and... most important... it'll be shown in the original size.

Level 12
Thanks. +Rep to you too.

By the way, along with the HD loading screen part, I plan on adding a Video to help some people who just don't understand how to read and look at pictures. :xxd:

EDIT: The tutorial you were referring to in post #12 is actually an HD loading screen, so I'm actually not repeating that tutorial.

Level 6
Thanks. +Rep to you too.

By the way, along with the HD loading screen part, I plan on adding a Video to help some people who just don't understand how to read and look at pictures. :xxd:

EDIT: The tutorial you were referring to in post #12 is actually an HD loading screen, so I'm actually not repeating that tutorial.

:grin::xxd: You're right there's people who are too lazy to read, or they don't really understand shiz what you've wrote ;)

Yep, indeed, video will make the tutorial better, good job.

Lol pyritie, always talking about the forum tags, yayz, you're a tag addicted! ;)

Level 12
ERRR . ps. i did everything and the custom loading screen u said did not appear out for me to click..i tried 4 times lerhs... wasted about 15 mins... i checked for 5 mins over and over again.. dammit.... pls reply to me asap
Please describe your issue more clearly and with better spelling, grammar, and less of ..... or I cannot help you with your problem.

Level 6
hmm, i tried many tutos and even on this on you don't mention about not modifiying the mdx path...i was in struggle like 2 hours cause of that, anyway thanks for the tuto it helped me alot !!

Level 1
Can someone help me with this on discord?, I'm new. I can share my screen got all the files needed and 800x600 jpg photo I resized in MS paint. Tried doing this alone didn't work.

000000000000001#9960