• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Section Sub-Moderators and a “Rejected” Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I think that something needs to be done about the amount of crap that users have been posting on this site. I suggest creating a “Rejected” section, where content that is of poor quality can be sent. There would only be one of the sections, and it would be completely separate from the other sections.

Resources would be sent there from the normal sections by a vote of a certain amount of the sub-moderators for that section; I suggest three. The ability to vote on whether a resource should be sent to the Rejected section would be the only difference between the privileges of a normal user and those of a sub-moderator. Sub-moderators would only be so for the particular section(s) that they met the following criteria for:
- Sub-moderators must have been on the site for at least a week.
- Sub-moderators must have made a certain amount of posts and/or comments to show that they are active members of the community; I suggest around 25 total.
- Sub-moderators must have submitted a certain amount of non-rejected resources for the section that they are to become sub-moderators of. I suggest around three.

Once the user has updated the Rejected resource, they could PM a moderator and ask for it to be moved back to the normal section. In addition, deleting your resource from the Rejected section and re-submitting it in the normal section would be against the rules.

I feel that implementing this system would help greatly reduce the amount of low-quality resources that are submitted to this great site.

~The_Raven

Level 21
About Sub-moderator section: Unecessary. Wc3sear isn't that big and is already fine with the current moderators
We have enough moderators anyway so far.

Rejected Section: Unnecessary again. My personal opinion would be rejected resources should be deleted, end of story no more things because their " poor quality " presence may just disgrace the site.

Level 12
Actually the current system would work well if Section Moderators were actually able to remove stuff, the remove resource button leads to the icons section, at least for me, god I tried deleting a lot of stuff that appeared in the spell section

Level 9
mention n00bs in that speech too.
Kerrigan, always substantiate what you say.

Many would benefit from this, since its very hard to find a good skin (for example) in the oceans of bad ones. Simply because they all are in 1 big mess.

Level 6
But what if it's a good skin and someone downvotes it? Then it lands in the crap pile or deleted and many people would have really liked it.

Level 13
skins are a different story, but isnt it their right to post that skin or spell or whatever on this site?

Level 22
A minimum quality standard is a good thing, but we can't afford to become too elitist...thats what kills sites.

I don't know how it is in the skin section, but if something is too low quality, the moderators there can delete them. If they are still there, they are there for a reason. Already there's the directoer's choice section, (which we moderators still don't have control over yet), when that's implimented, hopefully that will help the higher quality material rise above the rest and stand out more. But even then, people should never browse just that one section. There's a klot of good skins out there that probably wont make that section, but are still worth downloading.
-VGsatomi

Level 13
the skin section is pretty bad. every skin people do ends up in there because they submit them just because they have it. needless to say, the skin section needs a little house cleaning. so even though they can submit them, doesnt mean they should.

Level 9
I don't think that this idea would cause the site to become elitist. On the contrary, I think that this system would give more "power to the people." The people being the sub-moderators, who would be the majority of the frequent users of the site and the kind of people who we want here. Which is better: a site full of 3000 trolls or a site full of 1000 descent users?

The Director's Choice idea singles out the best, and I think that it’s a great idea. However, my system would remove the worst, giving more attention to the average resource, allowing it to remain in the most recent contributions longer.

~The_Raven

Level 12
The site having a 1000 descent users. Personally I think it's true that we need seperate secions. But let's look at the factors. People abuse our system to get revenge on those who rate there resources too low. Otherwise, the case is that it would be too hard to keep such a system in place.

Level 22
I think it all boils down to what you would describe as a good enouph skin to keep. If we get some of the skin nazis out there as sub-moderators, no one would get their skins posted, with the exception of the usual guru's like EvilYardGnome and those from Insomnia Graphics who, like maybe a dozen other like them, can produce Blizzard-quality skins. That would make for a very limited selection of skins. :cry:

But yes, I thinkall the sections need a little cleaning house...lot of "me too" skins and unfisnished maps clogging the sections up.
-VGsatomi

Level 12
I wonder about that. Perhaps we need a private discussion of what should be deleted. Not to offend some of you people but it probably should be done.

Level 13
that would be good. get some people who can agree on even the kinds of skins to keep would be good, but then, as raven states, it might make the site look elitist and high on itself, which no one wants. so mabye we should take a poll and find what people want to do. keep all the skins, or clean the skin section up. thats what i think!

(god i hate it when i make typos)

Level 18
I still beleive the best option would be to automatically clean the section on bad rates after 5 votes and your at 1.9 it should be axed or moved to crap section that would clean alot,

but alot would stay even with submods running around because of resbmissions even after pms are sent to them.

Best wa you can help now is contact the mod in charge of the section when you see a resuorce you beleive is too bad to up, im sure if he gets enough pms about it he/she will delete it.

As of a peoples choice that would be pretty cool, some of the better known members being able to add resources to the peoples choice section would be cool.

Level 12
Elitist people can go to to be isolated to the sites they created.

We don't need a major quality nazi system, we just need to have more eyes controlling the quality, to delete really sucky stuff.

We can't trust in rating seriusly, one can create 5 accounts and remove whatever resource the guy he hates made.

I say that the 2 places idea is needed, in one place everyone will have the right to appear unless the resource is really bad, and in the other part accepted stuff will go

people will still use the first place because new resources will always go there first.

I really say that we need more section moderators too.

And Vexorian should be able to delete spells instead of having a link to the icons section named delete resource

Level 13
if the site auto deletes skins that go below 2 rates, other people could just log in as several different people and keep rating it one.

Level 22
Maybe I could help out there. Map inflow has been at its usual pace but everyone has been largly following the rules there, so maybe I can take a break from the map section to help out in the skin section if the current mods are too tied up or don't feel like deleting things. Its pretty obvious that the rules are not being followed in the skin section (mainly regarding re-shades).
-VGsatomi

Status
Not open for further replies.