• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Scale In Playable Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
How do you guys feel about everything being pretty close to scale when it comes to playable games? Or would you rather see your basic melee scale in custom maps?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Yeah. Part of the challenge in aesthetic terraining is, quite as Maker suggests, that the gameplay tends to suffer from it. You'll probably have to face some troubleshooting issues with pathing and playability. But what the hell, the result is pretty damn sexy if you can worm your way around it.

I say go for custom scales.

Level 6
Yeah,, I'm going to go ahead and attempt it, I thought of just putting all units down the scale moving the camera down a little that way I wouldn't run into texture distortion issue; what do you guys think?

Never scale units smaller, scale the environment and doodads bigger! The reason for that is, that you can not scale ground tiles. In order to make good looking terrain, you need a higher or at least the default "tile resolution". If you scale your stuff smaller and zoom in on the action, the tiles get undetailed and way to large to produce natural looking ground.

Level 3
Hei
PLEASE do not oppsite it so absolutely .
If y can control smaller scale well,it can be fantastic.I think many new games like Dawn of warII,which use smaller size of units,were pretty well.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
This could all be solved if the tiles...

... were fractals.

fun-with-fractals.png

Status
Not open for further replies.