• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sc Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
According to some news there will be a WC 3-hero system in the map editor. How ever it will NOT be in the normal game. Just in UMS maps.

Level 5
I support heroes in SC2. To a certain degree though. The experience system is useful. You don't nessessarily have to have your hero gain new abilities do you? Sure it may be cool to have that added (for me anyway) for mainly the same reason as Elenai, but also because it would be nice to have a stronger unit in battle that gains experience. I mean, most battles have a commander or elite soldier of some kind, right? If heros are cut from melee games, I just hope that mappers will be able to make their own heros in the Editor. If the below is true though, that will not be nessessary.

I read somewhere about units having a rank-up system. They would gain new tactics and special attacks when they rank-up if the rumor is true. The Battlecruisers are able to pick from about 4 types of guns (or some amount like that) when it rank-ups. It's just like it's upgrading it's equipment though.

Level 26
If they are to have an experience system, i want it to be utilized by every unit, especially if it is used in a minor fashion, like rank ups. Furthermore, I believe it has already been established that the hero system will probably be available in the sc2 editor, but not in melee maps. And "if the rumor is true", it would be a pretty sucky system.

Level 3
Well im sure that rank system thing would be quite ammusing, it would be funny seeing a zergling just pwning one of them tank things...

Level 13
I repeat what I said:
-No heroes in normal melee maps.
-Also judging by the Blizzcon demo no chars ranking up.
-SC 1 type heroes in the campaign. These heroes will have more abilities tho.
-The WC 3-hero system will be in the map editor tho.

Level 13
The screenshot, taken from a newer ver says otherwise. (comment 2)

However i agree with the other 3 of your comments.

Good news indeed.
If you mean the rank up then PROVE that it truly is ranking up! It could also be some kind aura from an unit/building, or some sort of skill from an unit.

Last edited:
Level 13
Tyranid you have no evidence from blizzard that proves that units do not rank up (cnc style).

I on the other hand have a blizzard screen-shot.

I implore you to show evidence.

Level 26
can't be an aura. there are other units around the veterancy units. the screenshot is pretty foolproof to me. i myself would gladly welcome a veterancy system.

Level 13
Yeah, if you have a marine that kills 112 zerglings, wouldnt he get a bit better at doing it later on, or get a promotion for kicking so much ass ? sure maybe not in real life, but hell it makes that kill counter mean something now.

Level 21
Yeah, if you have a marine that kills 112 zerglings, wouldnt he get a bit better at doing it later on, or get a promotion for kicking so much ass ? sure maybe not in real life, but hell it makes that kill counter mean something now.

actually not really: why would a marine that kills 112 zerglings suddenly know better "strategy" to attack an ultralisk or a Mothership??
oh and the larger problem is: if my hydralisks to all the damage and my zerglings happen to make all kills (as they do the last damage), why do the zerglings become more experienced? zerglings which I don't want to get experienced anyway cause they're my meatshield, not my top-notch warriors, early game or late game...

Level 26
I think it all goes back to the saying "practice makes perfect". We are not talking about strategies, for you, the player, are the one making them. The marines get experience for things they can only control through experience, ie, aim, dodging, etc.
The ranking up could also be purely aesthetic too you know. . .
Yes, they added pictures of veterancy to the game as an illusion, in an attempt to make the game more pretty looking. Ok.

Level 13
Ive seen a SECOND screen shot showing veterancy, however it was very simliar to the first, perhaps taken in the same game.

It does show that vets are in the current build, but it remains to be seen if the zerg or protoss have it. Im willing to bet the protoss might, but the zerg im not so sure about

-regardless, vets are in untill we get proof that they are not.

Edit: by george MySpacebar has it !

Level 26
I would think that their stats improvements are different, in that the terrans have this little organized military, the protoss have, i guess, valor, and the zerg, i suppose might not have it, or it might just be more of its killer instinct.

Level 7
Actually I like Warcraft more than Starcraft. But my feelings about the game wouldn't improve if Blizz made heroes in Starcraft. I think they should stick to the plot and just give the player a big army to crush the enemies.

Level 1
I dunno guys... I'm absolutely against them in the actual game but it'd be sad if they weren't available in the world editor. If original maps couldn't have heroes a lot of the genres that have been made wouldn't be possible. Ya that would make Starcraft II DOTA possible but also a lot of other great types of maps.

Level 26
There must be some symbol behind it. Über is a German word. In WWII, the main German political party was the Nazis. Therefore, Starcraft 2 is being made by Nazis.

Level 26
If that logic was steel, everyone would say "prove this" "yeah, well, prove the opposite!". That's why there is burden of the proof. What needs to be proven is that there are heroes in the sc2edit.

Level 13
Oh there are heroes in it, we know that...

What we dont know is how they will act, (will they be a wc3 style hero, or a SC1 beefed-up unit)

Since blizzard hasn't said anything, we get arguements like this, oh well, at least its something to talk about.

Level 26
I think it should be in the editor, or at least a way to make these heroes. There shouldn't be things we could make on wc3edit that we can't make on sc2edit.

Level 25
Über.

Soon we might even have WoW Characters in SC2! Just think of it, your Raynor levels up, he gains a new talent.. hmm, a 1% increase on his turbo enginees, and then he has to move back to his HQ, buy new spells and get back to it.

And add a pengiun to SC2 or I won't damnit buy it!

Level 40
Massive, there are lots of things I could say that you couldn't disprove. That doesn't make them valid, at all. If you want to prove something, bring evidence.

Anyways,

I think it should be in the editor, or at least a way to make these heroes. There shouldn't be things we could make on wc3edit that we can't make on sc2edit.
Minus the UI (which everything but the exp bar sorta sucks anyways for), heroes wouldn't be too hard to script (unless the sc2 scripting sucks, which I hope it doesn't). Items could be in a spellbook or something, with a few active slots on your now 15-slot command card.

Über.

Soon we might even have WoW Characters in SC2! Just think of it, your Raynor levels up, he gains a new talent.. hmm, a 1% increase on his turbo enginees, and then he has to move back to his HQ, buy new spells and get back to it.

And add a pengiun to SC2 or I won't damnit buy it!
Win.

Level 1
WCIII style would seem out of place. Maybe heroes could be a little bit stronger, and you could upgrade their abilities instead of having them just learn it. (Pretty much like WH40K)

Level 40
They are stronger (StarCraft style).

Eg;

Vulture: 80 life, 20 concussive damage

Jim Raynor (Vulture): 200(?) life, 30 concussive damage

----------------------------------------

Marine: 40 life, 6 normal damage, upgradeable Range and Stim Packs

Jim Raynor: 200(?) life, 10(?) normal damage, Range and Stim Packs default

Status
Not open for further replies.