• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sagas - ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
The Beta Version 1.4c is here. Visit the forums to find a download of the map or click Public Beta Version 1.4c. Report any bugs you find to the forums please or by email found under contact please. I know there are a ton of them, I'm working fixing tons of things as I find them.

Progress
Completion - 99%

Items 100% (Progressively Updated)
Creeps 100% (Progressively Updated)
Quests 100% (Progressively Updated)

Those with Progressively Updated mean that they are at 100% but are constantly updated with the progression of the game. When more is added it just adds to the existing completion.

Game Features
Steel said:
Concept: The game is based around the concept from many popular MMORPGS. There are many ideas from that game that have been WarCraft III'ed into this map. You will notice ideas and images from EverQuest all the way to World of Warcraft.

Zoning System: Areas of the map are broken into "zones". Each zone has a different difficulty, some zones have requirements for entering them let it be a key, a quest, or a minimum level. This system is rarely seen in many maps, it restricts the field of vision for a player to a given area. This is a feature that allows players to have sectioned off areas much like other RPGS. It is great for dividing up difficult areas of the game with easier ones. It is also very nice to if you need to hide during those PvP times!

Hero Selection: The map features a very unique hero selection system, the template designed by Magos, with alterations made by me. The hero selection method allows a user to view detailed information about the hero they are debating to choose before they make their decision. When a hero is selected, the unit grows in size and rotates slowly, it is visually stimulating!

Combat System: The map uses a unique system for combat. Damage values follow appropriately with any unit, but the armor values are all at the 0%, the standard Warcraft III armor values are percentage based, in this map though the armor values are a straight value. If you get hit for 10 damage and have 5 armor, you take only 5 damage. The armor value is not shown on the unit itself, but rather in the Multiboard.

Character Classes: The classes in this map closely resemble many RPGs, but it is difficult to deviate from what is tradition, so the map hasn't. The map has 14 functioning classes, but may so more as time progresses.. After the base are completeled and balance is relatively even, I will create additional classes that break out from the standard feel. The spells are done entirely in JASS allowing for multi-instances of spells and a great deal of efficency with no memory leaks. Although the spells and such are designed to make for the feel of most RPGs, the spells are designed around the basics of ideas, although some are very unique.

Terrain: The Terrain has been a constant struggle in this map. I am a perfectionist and the map has seen 3 Terrain artists and 4 overhauls. The current, and final version of the terrain yields credit to Krewl Rain of Clan TDG. The terrain previous to her work was very fitting for the map, but the size just resulted in too many problems. I would like to extend a very warm thank you to Millie and Lewt.

Summoned Pets: The summoned pets will automatically follow the hero. The unit will follow closely and automatically attack units which attack the hero. The pets follow a generic AI coded into the game. Unit's with abilities will automatically use them accordingly. This allows the Player to focus on their Hero primarly, instead of dealing with 2 units at the same time. Beware players...the pets can get you into troule!

Creep Respawn System: Forgot to put in one of the best features about this map, the creep respawn system allows for units to respawn in their original position. The JASS trigger is only about 150 characters long and it takes care of every unit. I've also encoded different respawn times for each area so units from different areas will take longer to respawn than other. Boss mobs will behave on their own system [re]spawn trigger.

Multiboard System: Much like a traditional Multiboard, the one in this map houses player data for the user to see. The armor of a unit is not displayed on the unit itself, so for a player to see this information it has been placed on the Multiboard. This is standard for most Multiboards in maps, but the unique feature in EQSagas is that the buffs are listed and recorded onto the Multiboard itself. This allows eliminates limitations given from the World Editor, and also gives a very nice twist to PvP combat. Enemy players can no longer see what buffs you have!

Save / Load Feature System: The system allows a user to save every aspect of their game experience with a code. The save / load features have been completely reworked. A simple -save will take all of your character's data and generate a code for you. The code saves quite a bit of data so please understand it may be lengthy. It saves your Hero, Hero's Level, Hero's Experience, Hero's Stats, Your resources, Your items, Your Backpack's items (Yes, all 18!), and it personalizes your code to your name for security. The length of the code is roughly 35-40 characters long.

Attribute System: Thanks to weaaddar's system players can customize their unit's stats. The stats are saved and loaded, this means no two heros will be alike. Each player will carry further uniqueness with their playing.

Backpack System: This system has been designed to allow users to carry 18 items in a backpack that are saved with their hero. The backpack can be recalled at any time to take out items at will. If the hero's inventory is full and they go to pick up an item, it will be automatically moved to their backpack. When saving all 18 items inside the backpack will be saved, including the 6 on the hero itself.

Equipment System: This is relatively simple, it allows for a user, depending on their class to only weild one weapon, one shield, one piece of armor, etc...

Experience System: The system allows for experience only in certain situations. Quests can yield experience, killing standard units can yield experience, but killing Boss units or unique spawns rewards players with the most experience. The system scales experience per level, more experience required for higher levels. Experience has a level range limit too, you can only be within certain levels of an enemy to receive experience. Ontop of that limit, there is an actual range (distance) measurement that also exists. You must be within a certain distance to gain experience.

Item Drop System: Coupled with the Experience system comes the Item Drop System. The two systems function together to give proper Experience and Items based on your hero's level and the enemy's level. Each unit can hold 10 (Subject to change for bosses) different items to drop and drop on a percentage based scale (1-100%). The system is written entirely in JASS and has a built in error system if anything should go wrong with it. The system is also completely leak free.

Buff System: This system allows for multiple buffs of the same type to stack. Now this does not mean that Flowing Thought I will stack with Flowing Thought II, but rather 3 types of Hitpoint regeneration spells can stack. The system is completely leak free, it handles every unit at the same time. The system has been redesigned from scratch 3 times now, and should finally function without error

Player vs Player (Coming Soon): Always a favorite subject, PvP combat. The game is setup to handle player versus player combat. The triggers all can allocate damage properly, to trigger the system you must unally via commands with other players. But beware, you won't be friendly to townsfolk. You also cannot go hostile with anyone at anytime, this would result in rampant killing when an ally gets low. You must be in town to go hostile with others. This will not initially provoke the guards, but after you attack another player, you will be seen as an enemy to the townsfolk. Hostility to townsfokl reset upon death.

And much much more...

Gallery

The layout of the following pictures has since been changed. But they are still nice to look at. The new terrain is just as beautiful but I have yet to capture any pictures. Click Here to view all of the older screenshots.

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

B4.jpg

For more images click the Gallery link above

Contact Info
Contact Info:
Email: [email protected]
Msn [email protected] MSN is buggy for me (Not best option)
Yahoo: pjb0404
AIM: HSDAP
Forums: Just leave a post, or a private message

"Jobs"
Game Tester [Status: Open] - Obviously the most sought after position, everyone can do this! I am a member of Clan TDG, we have testing nights quite often and we test a variety of maps, this one included. If you are interested stop by the channel (Clan TDG @ USEast) and as about testing. If anyone asks, tell them you read this post. When testing the only thing you need to do is try and have fun, I know there are a lot of bugs, I'm working as hard as I can to fix them and it will only be faster if you help report them to me.
[/quote]

Link to website: http://steel.nrgservers.net/
Link to forums: http://steel.nrgservers.net/forums
Public Beta Version 1.4c:
Direct Download

Last edited:
Level 14
I don't care. I've just read the first two paragraphs and it hasn't told me anything about the map except that you arrogently think people will know what your map is about.

I don't want to read through a change log, I want to know what the map is and why it is special.

Level 3
Maybe if you looked down at the huge block thats entitled features? The first thing there is Concept. I don't thing I'm being arrogant, if people are interested they will look deeper into this.

The large chunk of text at the beginning is where people read most of the information. If people would constantly be checking this for a possible version update, they would see it right there.

Thank you,
Steel.

Level 14
Maybe if you looked down at the huge block thats entitled features? The first thing there is Concept. I don't thing I'm being arrogant, if people are interested they will look deeper into this.

Why, oh why, would I want to bother with a map if the map maker won't explain what it is in the first two paragraphs? I don't want to look deeper unless I'm interested, and if you don't tell me what it is, then I'm not interested.

Level 6
Well i tested it (only short test tought).

These things need some work:
- minimap: its absolutely horible, you cant really tell anything whats going on clearly
- spells: seems boring to me just to wait to get the skills you can see in the book + the spells that i tested were kinda boring (i like visual effects or something like that, like cool effect)

Level 3
Its OK Griff, you don't have to test it if you don't like.

Burned - The minimap is closed off with an image because the map is broken up into different areas. Exposing the entire map would spoil the fun of finding the new areas.

Darkey, thanks I got the top link working just not the bottom one hehe

Level 12
Griff, if you have a problem with the map, don't bother with it. Don't bring ur wc3c habbits here this is not wc3c its hiveworkshop, we are very tolerant with ppl who are challenged in english or at the subject of explaining and lobying their map. If that is your case you can bring it to wc3c but not here because here is a place for nice and straightforward ppl.

SteelTDG, the spells need some work, how bout browsing through the spells section to see some customized trigger spells?

Level 3
The spells are all written in JASS, most of them only need tweaking of numbers. I'm getting a lot of reports about spell bugs each day. I had to write about 70 spells in 2 days to prepare the map for the release. With 14 classes, 11 spells each thats 154 spells, I have 67 dummy spells to help with those so there is plenty of room for things to go wrong. I have saved the most advanced spells for higher levels.

The Paladin's Ultimate is a remake of Blessed Hammer from Diablo II. Enemies hit by the hammer take damage, whereas allies are healed. It is an actual projectile that is flying in the air and is in a circular path.

So there are some very advanced spells, you just have to get suckered in and play more :grin:

Level 1
The Paladin's Ultimate is a remake of Blessed Hammer from Diablo II. Enemies hit by the hammer take damage, whereas allies are healed. It is an actual projectile that is flying in the air and is in a circular path.

galary is updated, guess steel forgot to put a notice here. Hammer of justice from paladin in action and i guess, orb of whatever from the wizard... worth to take a look :)

--
skyreaper, Eqsagas moderator.

Level 3
Good going, this RPG is pretty good.
Im testing it and so far iv found that some heros dont get there spells after theyre first 1, wither they not done or not, just leting you know.
Along with that some heros dont get theyre attribute distribute such as the ranger.
Ill keep testing, im currently useing the shaman and im in the swamp area trainig till i can go somewhere else.:thumbs_up:

oh another thing, while useing a shaman, if you hold a dagger +7 and pick up a sheild+2 it goes to your backpack, but if you hold the shield then pick up the dagger you hold both, and while holding both, if you go the add attributes it sends the sheild to your backpack.

Level 1
thanks bobby, issues were addressed and fixed, thanks for contacting us on our forums for them to :).

--
skyreaper, Eqsagas moderator.

Level 3
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not Darkey.

From the missing letters in your post Mini, I gathered you wanted me to do my own testing. I do test using Grimiore to prevent any fatal errors that may occur (Several existed when I released 1.0 with about 100 spells). My map is written entirely in JASS, so when I change things I do quite a lot and I don't always get to check things. As long as the map maintains playability, it is fine in my book.

I'm working on 1.4 - Ill include a few new quests, update the Goblin Warchief to be a little more forgiving and add in his loot table, add more merchant items, and update the loot table for all existing creeps (Not many actually drop things). Also I found the bug with the Rogue and I will have her fixed for the next version.

Level 3
Public Beta v1.3c - There is no official changelog for this version.

Map cannot be played in single player, you can still play it solo but it must be on B.net or LAN

All of the major problems in 1.3b have been fixed with this version. I hope the desynchs are fixed, I did about 9 tests between my desktop and laptop and neither machine was disconnected, I also did a test on b.net with some of my clan mates.
-Desynchs fixed
-Numerous Balances
-Attributer on Load
-Fixed some item saving issues
-Several spell bugs
-Few cosmetics

Level 3
Haven't had much in terms of an update in a while. The v1.4 release is going to have a lot fixed in it, not to mention a bunch of new content. The reason this release is taking so long is a result of the potion system I've been working on. I didn't want to have potions take up an inventory slot, because this would impair the player from having another piece of equipment on. I didn't want to make them stackable because they wouldn't save or backpack very well. I had to come up with something better, so, I did!

Check out this post: Potions!

or

Can you tell whats new?

Level 3
Version 1.4 is now out. This version has another new zone in it, many many new items (about 80 new ones), numerous fixes, another fix to the experience system, fixes on critical problems with equipment system and the glorious new potion system. As always download is in the forums and the list of changes are in the changelog.

This version took so long because of everything that was added. The changelog for this is the longest one to date, many things were changed.

Download it here: http://steel.nrgservers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127

Or Check the first post in this topic

Level 3
Released version 1.4c

It includes a few new features, and many fixes to bugs. As always check the changelog for the full version and the first post for the download information.

The release of the next big version, 1.5, is still being worked on. A lot of new content is being added, so check my forums for more constant updates.

Level 1
you should definitely, definitely, change all the units and items names and make them just "Bandit" for example, and not "a bandit"

so, just make it capital and not have the words "a" whatever.

makes the game much more not-nub so to say

Level 3
If a unit is classified with an "a" then it is not a unique monster. If the monster is not unique then players should no expect an incredibly difficult challenge in attempting to kill the enemy. Without the "a" means the enemy is a mini-boss or boss type.

Level 1
i see, but what about the people in the town?

also, items? could they possibly be capitalized.

and last thing. about the "a" thing. well couldnt you use something like Chaos Specturm to turn miniboss or boss types monsters so that their names are in different colors.

well, im just saying i (along with many of my friends) would play your map much more and also enjoy it much more if you were to make all of the "weird text" go away haha.

and it shouldnt take THAT long to do all of it, would it?

Level 3
i see, but what about the people in the town?

also, items? could they possibly be capitalized.

and last thing. about the "a" thing. well couldnt you use something like Chaos Specturm to turn miniboss or boss types monsters so that their names are in different colors.
Bosses and Mini-bosses have a label on them already under their name, so a colorization is not necessary in my opinion.
well, im just saying i (along with many of my friends) would play your map much more and also enjoy it much more if you were to make all of the "weird text" go away haha.
I don't quite understand what you define as weird text. If you are referring to the improper names and such, I can fix that on items, but I will not on enemy units. The reason a [mini] boss gets a proper name is because it is an individual unit. Random units that you kill all the time should not have proper names since they are just a generic enemy. This trend is used in a lot of games, Diablo 1/2, EQ, Daoc, EQ2, WoW.

and it shouldnt take THAT long to do all of it, would it?
Pardon?

Level 1
well then, i see your point. so could you just make item names properly capitalized and such, along with people in town, the way i see it they should have proper names too? but thanks if you are going to change any item names x]

Level 3
I've completed a demo map of a new equipment system I've been designing. I will be implementing it in this map with the next release. I have the Paladin above all the others because you should use him to try and equip all of the items as everything will work for him. To see how an item restricts between classes try picking up a NON-ALL item on a hero that cannot use it. The only commands you need to know are -drop ## and -list ##. -drop ## will "unequip" an item that is displayed currently on the multiboard. -list ## will display the stats on the item you picked from the multiboard with the numbers.

For those of you interested in the triggers. I'm sorry but I will not release them to the public at this time.

What the map uses:
-The map uses BonusMod
-The map uses HandleVars (Gamecache)
-The map uses the New Jass Gen pack for the creation of libraries.
-The map is essentially broken into 2 libraries. 1 houses all of the functions required to make the system work. The other stores all of the information for each item. This allows for extremely simple addition of new items.

The Concept:
Well the idea came to me when I was annoyed with the 6 item slots you are given by Warcraft III by default. So I decided to come up with a way to expand this. I wanted items to have restrictions of level, class, and attributes. I also wanted many different types of equipment slots. The system can essentially hold any number of items in its virtual inventory. For example, you can have 2 rings in the demo, you could have 10 rings if you so choose. The final primary concern I had with items is creation. I wanted the addition of new items to be as easy as possible because in an RPG it is quite a pain to have to do 10 different things to get items working how you want them. Getting the attributes right, make sure the right people can and cannot use the item, restrictions, etc. If you look below you can see just how easy it is to add in an item.

//1-Classes able to use
//2-Lvl Req
//3-Str Req
//4-Agi Req
//5-Int Req
//6-Dmg
//7-Armor
//8-Spellshield (This is a special feature in my own RPG)
//9-Hitpoints
//10-Mana
//11-Str
//12-Agi
//13-Int
//14-Item Slot / Type
//Raw Code of item
if itemid =='I000' then
set CurrItem[1]=43//This means class 1, 2, 4 and 6 can use the item.
set CurrItem[2]=5
set CurrItem[3]=35
set CurrItem[4]=25
set CurrItem[5]=10
set CurrItem[6]=10
set CurrItem[7]=7
set CurrItem[8]=3
set CurrItem[9]=100
set CurrItem[10]=50
set CurrItem[11]=11
set CurrItem[12]=7
set CurrItem[13]=6
set CurrItem[14]=4//This variable can be whatever is necessary. I have 1 being helm, 2 / 3 is earring, 4 is neck and so forth.

Future Releases:
-Add in Set Items
-Expand Multiboard to show all stats of items.

Yes I know there are bugs if you pick up items with all the heros bonus effects go to random heros and you can stack them. This is a technical demo and in the RPG you will only have ONE hero so this bug will never apply
Try the map - Click me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.