• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ruined Video Game Franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello everyone just figured i should make a thread about game franchises you think have been utterly ruined

Here's my list

Disciples (Because of 3)

Dungeon Siege (Because of 3)

Command and Conquer (I honestly thought Red Alert 3 was a disgrace, and Command and Conquer 4 was just an abomination! Thanks EA...)

Fable (I'm sure some will disagree with me, but fable in my opinion goes like this... Fable > Fable 2 >>>> Fable 3)

Might and Magic (Not HoMM) (Basiclly because of 9)

Empire Earth (This franchise really pissed me off, the first empire earth was golden, at least to me, but the 2nd one was alright... but seriously the third!?!? that was just like BAM! Self Destruct!!! :( how sad )

Duke Nukem (lol Forever seriously???)

Age of Empires (basiclly the same as Empire Earth to me 1 and 2 were good, but three...... no but it was at least better than Empire Earth 3)

Turok (This game had a pretty fun multiplayer, but the story mode was weak as hell, really hope some1 brings this franchise back to life)

Def Jam (Icon really screwed up the formula)

Lord of the Rings Conquest (Although its not a franchise, i just felt like because of this game, they won't make anymore "Battlefronts" cause i was so excited to play this game when it came out, but it just turned out bad, at least to me it did)

Dawn of War (Not sure if this one deserved to be on this list, but it pissed me off when they took out base building, and i'm sure many will agree with me)

Supreme Commander (I tried giving Supreme Commander 2 a chance, but it was just a huge disappointment)

K heres the ones i just thought up in my head, but im sure theres more (remember some of these are my opinion, while other are FACT)

Last edited:
Level 34
Dawn of War (Not sure if this one deserved to be on this list, but it pissed me off when they took out base building, and i'm sure many will agree with me)
I definitely miss aspects of DoW from DoW2, but not base building. Mostly competent AI players.

Level 11
World Of WarCraft

i was considering to put this on my list, but in terms of marketing, the game is just way too successful, though i really dislike how much it changed from the vanilla version

I definitely miss aspects of DoW from DoW2, but not base building. Mostly competent AI players.

I honestly found the AI in DoW extremely unbalanced, my standard team mates always defeated the intense difficulty (if that's what it is) opponents, it would be 2v3 and the standard AI always seemed to be the strongest..

and the easiest difficulty was just to easy, you be doing a 10v1 and would still win, but i will admit that the AI in DoW2 are just to simple, it being a newer game i thought they would actually utilize the terrain and

be smart about things. But "my" main reason i dislike DoW2 is because the base building! if they kept that this game would probably be one of my favorite RTS's like DoW used to be. Really hope they don't

integrate this into Company of Heroes 2 if they decide on making one

Level 36
Have to agree with you about Fable. That's the order I put them in too, and I absolutely fucking love the first one, replay it ever year.

I'd have to add KotOR to this list, but it's not entirely fair. See, the first one is a masterpiece of gaming, one of the finest RPGs ever crafted. The second one is pretty great, but was rushed out the door and so suffers quite a bit because of that. The reason it's 'ruined' so to speak, is that if they hadn't botched the second one on the way out the door, we would have a KotOR 3 instead of SW: TOR. And any SW fan can tell you that they would take Kotor 3 over ToR any day.

Level 11
I'd have to add KotOR to this list, but it's not entirely fair. See, the first one is a masterpiece of gaming, one of the finest RPGs ever crafted. The second one is pretty great, but was rushed out the door and so suffers quite a bit because of that. The reason it's 'ruined' so to speak, is that if they hadn't botched the second one on the way out the door, we would have a KotOR 3 instead of SW: TOR. And any SW fan can tell you that they would take Kotor 3 over ToR any day.

Sadly i never completed KotOR, the first time i played it was a year ago back when Steam had a sale on all Star Wars games, i tried playing it, but the screen was too small even on max resolution, i probably would've bought back when it released but there were just so many good games that came out during its time that it was hard to choose what to get :p

btw this reminds me of the Warcraft franchise(Warcraft RTS to MMO, and KotOR being RPG to MMO), but then again it would be based on perspective, me personally i would love to see a Warcraft IV rather than more expansions to WoW, perhaps they'll consider making one when the WoW franchise is over, i hope so :D.

The story of the Stronghold franchise is one with a sad ending.
I never played Stronghold 3 but i saw the reviews and gameplay and decided not to get it, but it doesn't look like they added anything new like at all

Stronghold - Started the Franchise
Crusader - A bunch of new units and new modes set in the time of the crusades
Stronghold 2 - New graphics, more advanced, more units, etc.
Stronghold Legends - Set in a fantasy world with King Arthur, fantasy creatures etc.
Stronghold 3 - Well just from looking at it, the game just looks like an expansion to Stronghold 2 (with the campaign set 10 years after the first Stronghold), idk if i'll ever get this game unless they add a expansion that actually does some change (it would have to be REALLY good though)

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Sadly i never completed KotOR, the first time i played it was a year ago back when Steam had a sale on all Star Wars games, i tried playing it, but the screen was too small even on max resolution, i probably would've bought back when it released but there were just so many good games that came out during its time that it was hard to choose what to get :p

That's hardly a reason to not play such a great game, right?

Level 25
-Disciples 3 (because of 3)
First was great
Second fixed all what the first missed and when it went gold, it became a masterpiece
Third decided to change the battle system which made the game unique, and remove 2 of the best races in the game and most unique out of the 4 and replace them with "Elves"

-Seven kingdoms: Conquest (or 3)
It's not 7 kingdoms anymore
It's not the same game
Seven kingdoms 2 got rating of 8 and 9's
This game got a 2.X/10 rating

-Majesty 2:
Change in classes and art/creativity dulled down

-AOE 3 (because of 3)

-HOMM 4 and above:
Change in a good formula is bad

those came to my mind right now.

Level 36
lol well the game on max res is as big as a photo you can take out of any photo album, i couldn't even read the text xD

Then there's something wrong with your video drivers, monitor, etc. The max resolution is PLENTY large, like 1280 x 1024, which is plenty big, and also irrelevant because on a normal-sized screen you should be able to see the text at ANY resolution. I'd look into that issue if I were you, because you're missing out on one of the best games of all time.

As for Warcraft, I completely agree with you. While I'm sure happy for Blizzard that they had such a success with WoW, it's ruined them in more ways than one:
1) No Warcraft IV, which sucks hard. I'd always rather have a new Warcraft RTS with an actual story than an mmo people will play and then ditch.
2) They got bought out by Activision, which is slowly ruining their company.
3) The popularity of WoW has forced them to sideline their other series', hence the massive delays in both the announcement and the release of SC2 and D3.

Level 11
-Majesty 2:
Change in classes and art/creativity dulled down
I really was going to add this to my list, but the main reason i disliked it was because they completely removed the freestyle mode, that's all i ever played on Majesty i never even bothered with the campaign, and all Majesty 2 provides us with is a Map Editor, and the single player missions in its place, which are nothing at all like the freestyle mode, i loved being able to choose what kind of base i had, incoming enemies, the objective, and special events, with all the expansions Majesty 2 had, they never added a freestyle mode and if they did, it would be a whole different story with me.

Then there's something wrong with your video drivers, monitor, etc. The max resolution is PLENTY large, like 1280 x 1024, which is plenty big, and also irrelevant because on a normal-sized screen you should be able to see the text at ANY resolution. I'd look into that issue if I were you, because you're missing out on one of the best games of all time.

I normally play at 1920 x 1080 as my display, i managed to fix Warcraft III's screen my mingling with one of its registry files but i can't seem to access any of KotOR's, if i change my screen display to 1280 x 1024 will it affect also my games along with my desktop??? i want to know for sure before i reinstall it.

Level 36
I normally play at 1920 x 1080 as my display, i managed to fix Warcraft III's screen my mingling with one of its registry files but i can't seem to access any of KotOR's, if i change my screen display to 1280 x 1024 will it affect also my games along with my desktop??? i want to know for sure before i reinstall it.

Well with video games, it should reset your 'screen' resolution to whatever you have it set in the game options as. That's why when you're playing a game that's a different resolution from normal, when you minimize your desktop will be in that same resolution. So I'm not too sure what's going on with yours.

If you change your resolution, it won't matter to your other games- they'll just upsize to whatever you have them set at whenever you play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.