• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RPG TFK(The Forgotten King) Need tester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
THE FORGOTTEN KING E1

General Info
The Forgotten King is an RPG seiries with similar plot to the game Diablo 2. (The heros are trying to kill the prime evil). The First episode of TFK is not named yet (maybe you can suggest something) The heros set out from a lonly outpost called Haven, From there the main NPC Balvarous (Narrated with my voice :grin: tells the heros their task. The heros start in an easy area, week mobs that respawn, one hero boss near the end, and a secret item. After the starting area is completely up to the players on where they go, but i will give text warnings, and hints to help them from getting owned by some uber creep.

Heros
I plan on having 10 heros, but they are really hard to make and abilitys take a while to perfect. The current 100% complete heros are the Battle Priest, and Angor Warrior. The incomplete heros consist of an Warrior Mage, Arch Cleric, Fiveclaw Warrior. And i plan on having a rouge type hero. These heros are 100% open for suggestions and ideas. (Im noob map maker)

World
The maps terrain in a northern land, separated by mountains. Haven, the starting area in infected with risen skeletal warriors from the wars of old. The Shrieking Highlands are a massive waste, full of wild beasts...and secrets... The Boreal cost, a frozen harbor, the small town of Angor sits still in the deathly wind, inhabited by the Angor(Barbaric Humans.) And the Great Tundra, a frozen land doomed by the grip of the Skeleton King( Lazedaer ) and his two followers, Fenrax and Kenderin.

CREDITS
Credits to the following for models+Icons:HappyTauren
donut3.5
Kitabatake(Many models)
atlyre
Dan Van Ohllus
Miseracord
Jigrael
General Frank(Many Models)
debode
Dentbthor/Just_Spectating

I did not credit people who did not say "Give me credit" in their Model/icon description. If you see something thats yours, and you want credit, just tell me and ill add it.

Screenshots coming soon i just wanna finish up the first part.

Please i need good comments, to help improve the map. And ty in advanced if you test it.

Last edited:
Level 7
Sugestions:
1. The terrain seems pretty empty and boring, add more rocks, make those "river rushes" darker or look colder, why is there cattails on land? i think you should remove them, floating doodads, add tents to camp for instance.
2. There's a few grammar mistakes
3. Spelltooltips doesnt show the right description when you've learned them.
4. Make hotkey more clear put a [Q] in front of the name with the colour code etc.
5. The voice from "you" isn't loud enough, turn it up?
6. The quest skeleton king is repeatable, turn off the trigger when chinematic starts. Read some tutorials to gain a better understanding + you'll need to know about variables.
7. There's also tutorials about respawn systems in gui, they're very easy to understand take a look at one.

Hope this helped :thumbs_up:

Level 10
Yes terrain looks terrible... Just snow... some rocks... blizzard cliffs :<

Triggers looks terrible too :< You created 1 variable ! ONE! But you didn't use it :D... Go to tutorial section and learn something about varibales, and triggering... Btw.. Good luck with you prject for now I would rate it 0.0000000000000000000001/5 :).

And yeah my review sucked...

~Spoontoobig.

Level 8
Based on your review, i have mostly gotten discouraged alot. but i needed harsh reviews. I really want a good map, so im going to practice more with Terraining and triggers, before i even begin the map, im not deleting it, im just putting it aside. Sorry for the mistakes in grammar english is not even my first language...

Level 7
I didn't mean to discourage you :/
Keep working on the map, when you learn some basic triggers and practice on terrain you could do a pretty cool map i guess :)
Grammar isn't really a big issue just check your sentences again (it's mostly typos)

It's pretty hard to make a cool looking ice terrain in my opnion, because of the lack of doodads, you could try with some sort of forest :p

Level 4
Well when you do go to fix your map up, you might want to work on the finer details that would make it seem more... "professional"? Then people would take it more seriously.

The first thing I noticed was that we can attack NPCs with no penalty. They should either unally you if you attack them or be invulnerable (or at least not targetable).

The gate that leads out of town can be attacked by ranged units. It should be made invulnerable so that can't happen.

Arch Cleric needs a portrait, and you should think about adding floating text or an item in front of them describing each hero's abilities before they're selected. Spirits and example heroes should be made invulnerable just in case someone manages to get over there and blast them up with ranged attacks or spells.

Skeletal towers still show after they're killed. You should use a tower model with a death animation, or use triggers to make an explosion effect for the current tower (and remove the tower unit once it's been killed through triggers).

Level 8
Thank you, Coffeeholic. Your suggestions are very good ones. Im playing around in the editor currently. Trying out making more detailed bases with buildings and NPC. If you guys want to see what i made, i can upload it. its quite nice, well i think its quite nice. Many thanks, Chanan12

Level 16
you should make a trigger setting the camera to the place where the hero will pop up after you pick a hero and add some trees. Also disable the fog of war on the campsite and finally add a campfire at the center of the campsite, besides that theres nothing that i can see.(nice models, names and abilities BTW)

Level 7
Terrain in your tutorial is pretty nice, keep it that way :thumbs_up:
But be carefull not to spam doodads :)
looking forward for updates

Level 8
White-Lion, i have already started a new version of the map. I am going to wait and finish the terrain and then show it, Because it seems that the terrain was the most major problem. Triggers are really difficult and whenever i try to use variables it doesn't work. So im going to wait and practice more with triggers.

Level 7
Read some tutorials it's pretty simple actual, imo.
Or let someone help you.

Are you gonna do the whole terrain before you will release a new version?

Yeah, White-Lion's right.

You can use Variables as 'placeholders' for units, floating texts, strings, ubersplats, unit groups, destructibles and lots more.

For example, you make this trigger:
  • ExampleTrigger
    • Events
      • Unit - Unit enters a region
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 footman for (Player 2 (Blue)) at (Position of (Entering Unit)) facing default building facing
      • Set Footman = Last Created Unit
Now whenever you want to refer to the footman, just make sure to use the variable Footman, not the <gen> ones. Here's a custom spell I made before:
  • Morale
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability Being Cast) Equal to Morale
      • (Level of (Ability Being Cast)) Equal to 1
    • Actions
      • Set MoraleTarget = (Target of Ability Being Cast)
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Strength; Add 5 points
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Agility; Add 5 points
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Intelligence; Add 5 points
      • Wait 5 seconds
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Strength; Subtract 5 points
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Agility; Subtract 5 points
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Intelligence; Subtract 5 points
And it works great.

Level 10
Yeah, White-Lion's right.

You can use Variables as 'placeholders' for units, floating texts, strings, ubersplats, unit groups, destructibles and lots more.

For example, you make this trigger:
  • ExampleTrigger
    • Events
      • Unit - Unit enters a region
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 footman for (Player 2 (Blue)) at (Position of (Entering Unit)) facing default building facing
      • Set Footman = Last Created Unit
Now whenever you want to refer to the footman, just make sure to use the variable Footman, not the <gen> ones. Here's a custom spell I made before:
  • Morale
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability Being Cast) Equal to Morale
      • (Level of (Ability Being Cast)) Equal to 1
    • Actions
      • Set MoraleTarget = (Target of Ability Being Cast)
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Strength; Add 5 points
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Agility; Add 5 points
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Intelligence; Add 5 points
      • Wait 5 seconds
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Strength; Subtract 5 points
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Agility; Subtract 5 points
      • Hero - Modify MoraleTarget's Intelligence; Subtract 5 points
And it works great.

Using waits... thats bad. if use again the stats won't disappear..

Level 7
Gotta learn about mui i guess ^^
Arrays :p
You should start by learning about the simple variable first, gui.
When you understand this move on to arrays, which can make it mui.

EDIT: Just link the map

Level 7
Glad that you got it to work :)
Guess i dont need to check your triggers then?
Hope you dont mind that i take a look at your map though ^^
Tell me if you want me to explain about arrays later :)

Level 8
White-Lion, Im glad you are pleased. i read a guild on array and i think im going to use variables more to get a full understanding of that first. I also would like to ask, should i make the camera 3rd person? It adds a nice effect. Also i dont mind if you look at the map in World Editor, heck i wouldn't even care if someone steals my story line and makes the next best map off of it. :p

Level 7
I dont really know about a 3rd preson camera for multiplayer rpgs, think teamwork is pretty hard since you cant really see your friends, i think you should stick with normal :)

Level 4
I dont really know about a 3rd preson camera for multiplayer rpgs, think teamwork is pretty hard since you cant really see your friends, i think you should stick with normal :)
Agreed, but maybe one can be added in as an alternate camera choice much later in the map's development in case anyone wants to play MMORPG style. People usually want arrow key movement with 3rd person cameras too, so that would add even more to the workload.

Level 8
Thanks guys. i started the hero tavern. Its looking good. i plan to have 8-12 heros. its an 8 player game with different variations of the hero roles. Basically if you want to be a tank there will be at least 2 options of a tank. hero roles so far are : Tank, Support, Healer, Damage. i may have 2 or 3 heros for every role.

Level 7
I could try to explain about it, guess chanan12 would like to know too?

Anyway i'll take a look at the new map :)

Oh yeah and i agree with coffeeholic, although if possible arrowkey movement should be optional too then.

Level 7
ohhh :O

EDIT:
Well not much to say right now..
You've improved terrain :D it's pretty good, might wanna add more doodads :)
Now we'll just have to wait untill you insert some enemies, lol ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.