• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RPG Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Contents
Introduction
Catergory
Rules
Guidelines
Criteria
Entries
Deadline
[URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=64957#prizes"]Prizes
Questions[/URL]

[ANCHOR]intro[/ANCHOR]Introduction
I am glad to anounce I have begun the second mapping contest for The Hive Workshop! This contest, an RPG contest will focus on many asspects of making an RPG.

[ANCHOR]catergory[/ANCHOR]Catergories
There will be several catergories, each of them having something to do with making an RPG. Bellow is a list of each of these catergories.

[ANCHOR]hero[/ANCHOR]Hero Creation
This catergory is to see how well you can make a system to create a hero. Remember that the more options that this system has, and the easier it is to use the higher a mark you will get.

[ANCHOR]quest[/ANCHOR]Quest Making
This catergory is a bit of a combination of everything, at a smaller scale. You have got to have a character, and you have got to complete a quest, or a series of quests. This catergory will need both good terrain and triggers to get a high mark.

[ANCHOR]story[/ANCHOR]Story Writing
Every RPG needs a good story, so see how well you can write a story! You must make a story that would be good for an RPG.

[ANCHOR]terrain[/ANCHOR]RPG Style Terraining
In this catergory you must create a decently sized terrain that would fit in well with an RPG. This should have complete pathing and a number of difference locations, like caves, cities, forests, mountains, lakes, rivers and oceans for example.

[ANCHOR]system[/ANCHOR]RPG Systems
You have to make some system that could be used in an RPG. This could include some sought of items, damage or armor system. An inventory system, a forging system or any other system that would fit in with an RPG.

[ANCHOR]rpg[/ANCHOR]RPG
In this catergory you have to basicly create an RPG. The RPG can be mutliplayer or singleplayer, can be an Open RPG or a normel RPG or any sought of RPG. This will need a combination of everything of the above, although these entries will be most likely to win the overall prize.

[ANCHOR]rules[/ANCHOR]Rules

• The Entry must be made from scratch
  • You can make entries as a team, but you must name every person involved with the entry.
  • The work must be made by you.
  • You can only enter one entry per catergory, but enter as many catergories as you like.
  • You are encouraged to post WIPs in this thread, but please do not post the actual map.
  • Any questions can be directed to [email protected]

[ANCHOR]guide[/ANCHOR]Guidelines

• You should try and make your entry as large as possible.
  • Posts WIPS in this thread so we can keep it active and you can get surgestions on your entry.

[ANCHOR]criteria[/ANCHOR]Criteria

• How many options have you got to use to create your hero? (Hero Creation and RPG)
  • Does the quest make sense and have a basic story or is it just another go and kill some stuff quest? (Quest Making and RPG)
  • Does the story have an exciting climax? (Story Writing and RPG)
  • Does the story make sense and how easy is it to follow? (Story Writing and RPG)
  • Does the terrain have complete pathing? (RPG Style Terraining and RPG)
  • Does the Terrain look appealing? (RPG Terraining Style and RPG)
  • Are there many difference types of locations? (RPG Style Terraining)
  • Is the system easy to navigate? (RPG Systems and RPG)
  • Is is difference to every other system made in an RPG or is it a remake of one? (RPG System and RPG)
  • Is the RPG fun, and does it have a story or heaps of quests or is it just another hack & slash RPG? (RPG)

[ANCHOR]entries[/ANCHOR]Entries

Red is Incomplete Entry
Blue is Complete Entry

Hero Creation
No Entries

Quest Making
No Entries

Story Writing
No Entries

RPG Style Terraining
No Entries

RPG Systems
No Entries

RPG
No Entries

[ANCHOR]deadline[/ANCHOR]Deadline
The Deadline for the contest will be the 5th of September for now, it may be shortened to extended depending on how many entries we get and how soon.

[ANCHOR]prizes[/ANCHOR]Prizes
Each catergory will have a winner and then an overall winner for the contest. Each catergory winner will recieve 50 repuation points and a rank. The Overall winner will recieve a sub-domain, 75 repuation points and a forum if they want it.

[ANCHOR]questions[/ANCHOR]Questions?
If you have any questions you can private message me here, or email me at [email protected].

Last edited:
Level 18
Well, I suppose I'll enter, as I was working on an ORPG in my spare time, but I'm not sure what category I'll enter in. Also, I recommend increasing the deadline, at least for the RPG (a month and a half is too short a time to make an RPG in) and RPG Systems (RPG systems can get very complex and time-consuming, especially forging systems) categories.

Level 12
Yes...Shados is right. Making a rpg in one and a half months is too short if people start now. Unless you're from blizzard or work as a full-time mapper.

I'm for increasing the deadline; Mean while I'll proably start on one, which if it's finished by the deadline I'll submit it X_x"

Level 24
Yea well when you've both decided what catergories you'll enter in tell me and i'll add you to the list. I think I might make something as well, I won't be marked or be able to win anything of course but I might just make something for fun.

Level 18
Naw, still do it. Maybe just extend the time period, this means that we can all work on it during our spare time and if you extend it to the end of the next holiday season or w/e then everyone gets a fair bit of time to work on their entry.

Level 10
I say still do it. . .if you need more entries etc. . .extend the end time. . .it'll just give the people who've been working on theirs for awhile to make them even better!

Also maybe if we spread the word more into other wc3 communities then we might get more entries.

Level 23
I'm always interested in RPG making, however...

What's the status on using older pre-done trigger systems and such in an RPG? For example, hero creation I already have some good stuff in the Islands in the Sky series I could port, then for systems there's the weapons and item stacking from When the Freedom Slips Away...

What I'm saying is; can I pre-made kit, or does it *all* have to be done from scratch within the deadline?

Indeed, what's the beef with entering already released maps? I heard that many of the maps from the last contest were developed before the contest was announced.

Last edited:
Level 23
That's the thing - if I make a map with no story, it'll putter out and never get finished >.<

And as far as an Open RPG, I could probably just add a few quests to my Arena and submit that...

No, I need a good solid sunken-ruins based story. If anyone's got any ideas, do let me know. ;)

Level 12
Rao Dao Zao said:
No, I need a good solid sunken-ruins based story. If anyone's got any ideas, do let me know. ;)

Hundreds of years ago while the world was but a toddler the gods decided they would find a way to remove humans of their greed, then, they believed, they would have the perfect world. So, they created a beautiful island covered grass and plains full of everything humans could ever want, gold, diamonds, and much more. Even the very architexture was enough to make anyone want to live there. Then the gods crafted a guardian to keep the humans away. Soon, the humans cured their greed by understanding that even though they wanted to reach this island so much, they never could, and so they learned their lesson. Balador, god of the burning depths, he who feasted of the evil of the soul, was lossing his power from the number of people becoming good at heart. So he sent a great tremor, and with the last of his remaining power, sunk the island.

------100 years later------

The island has resurfaced and a group of brave warriors and explorers set out to uncover it's secrets. With only a few old myths (the previous part) to go by they will go to the island. As they walk along the peaceful island indulging themselves in the ruined architexture and the small amounts of gold that remain they find little to confirm the myths. Little do they know, though, they sleeping guardian has awoken once more to protect the island from greediness...

Hows that RDZ?

Level 18
Well, I already have an idea and some brainstorming etc. for my map, but I would like some help. My map is going to involve 4 playable races, and you must play through one of the two starting races (Draenei and Dwarves) before you can play the third race (Humans) and you have to play through as all three to play as the fourth (Which is a secret ;) ). Each race will have it's own story etc. and the hero creation system will hopefully allow you to choose gender, customize your attributes near-completely and choose your own abilities according to your race.

Anyway, the Draenei in this are basically a farmer people whos ancestors were once deadly assassins-for-hire. Most of the Dwarves spend almost all of their lives aboard stone ships or on their massive boat-cities, although they have a few coastal settlements. Their main allies are the Pandarens, who live on the islands in the Dwarves territory. The Humans are very technologically advanced, although most have little magical aptitude, as they study and salvage the advanced artifacts left by a vanished race now know simply as The Others, and they live in the largest remaining remnant of The Others: A massive floating city (I'm eaither going to be doing this with walkable doodads or have it as a seperate map). They are allied with the Orcs who live a nomadic life on the massive desert in the shadow of the Other's City, and guard the one way from the ground up to the city in return for the Humans supplying them with anything they run short of, and help in wars.

The last playable race will remain a secret for the moment, but I'll tell you a bit about the non-playable races. To the south-west, near the Dwarven seas and the Pandaren islands is a second, smaller continent dominated by a vicious empire of demi-humans, who raid the shores of the mainland with sea-faring Ninjas (I just couldn't resist an excuse to have Ninja-Pirates in something ^^). On the opposite side of the map, in the north-east of the mainland, there is a defiled, blackened country of Necromancers and their Undead servants, the few times the mainland has seen true war have been against the Magocracy of the Blacklands, although it has now been several hundred years since the last attack and much knowledge of the enemy has been lost. One of the only things stopping more frequent attacks is the large river seperating the two lands, as magic erodes over water, and as such Undead have trouble crossing it. Those few Humans who are found to have magical talent are sent to the Wood Elves for training in the arts of Illusion and Enchantment, but some have dissapeared over the years, only to turn up as Necromancers working for the Magocracy. The Wood Elves themselves live in a massive forest to the north of the Draenei capitol, in the south-east of the mainland, and mostly keep to themselves. Although they are wary of strangers they are very welcoming once they are sure of your good intentions.

The capitol of the mainland is in a massive swamp surrounded by nigh-impassable mountains, and there is only one known way in or out. The location may seem strange, but the constant wetness is very good protection against the lesser Undead, and they also guard the Demon-Monks who themselves guard a volcano, calming it when it threatens to awaken once more.

Anyway I'd like some help, as you can see I have alot of the background story and I have a few good ideas for the Draenei race and some neat ones for the Humans and the secret fourth race.

Level 24
Well the ideas good, but let me give you advice. One thing that I hate with an RPG is having people talking about some super big huge strong city, and then having a city with about a 2 cm in height wall, 2 buildings and maybe a bigger building if your lucky. So for the main cities try and make it as awsome looking as possible ;)

As for the background story its pretty nice, but for the ultra city place in the swamp its good to only have 1 way out, but make sure that that way is large. Because if its a large city there gonna need a big road :)

Oh and btw is the secret race Elves? :p

Anyway i'm not sure if I like the idea of switching races two times in the map, it depends how you make it though. If you just suddenly change race and start of at level one again, then it probably won't be very good. So heres my surgestions on how you make that part of it.

1. Make sure that the player has a choice of when he wants to change race, and when you get up to that part make sure you have a Dialog or something pop up saying Are you sure you want to switch race?
2. Try and have it so that it is pretty much different parts of the game.

Anyway it sounds like that was what you were thinking so

As for the Dwarves, living on boats is a neat idea, and its definatly different to what the Dwarves are like in about every other fantasy world.

Thats about it from me atm. I'll post some stuff about my RPG (which unfortunatly won't be able to win :() soon, once I have got the basic storyline done.

Level 24
Don't worry deadline can and will be extending if needed. And I won't be able to win, even if i'm the only one that actualy finishes an RPG. If i'm the only one who finishes an RPG then that just means everyone else is lazy :p And its still 1 and a half months? You could still make a decent RPG in that time.

Level 18
Bob27 said:
Well the ideas good, but let me give you advice. One thing that I hate with an RPG is having people talking about some super big huge strong city, and then having a city with about a 2 cm in height wall, 2 buildings and maybe a bigger building if your lucky. So for the main cities try and make it as awsome looking as possible ;)
Don't worry, my cities will be awe-inspiring, the main map will be over-max size (using WEU) and I'm using maybe 2-3 maps anyway, so I have the room. The Other's City isn't exactly super-uber as alot of it was ruined and it was only recently recovered and so all it's secrets have yet to be unlocked.

Bob27 said:
As for the background story its pretty nice, but for the ultra city place in the swamp its good to only have 1 way out, but make sure that that way is large. Because if its a large city there gonna need a big road :)
Heh don't worry about that.

Bob27 said:
Oh and btw is the secret race Elves? :p
WAY off, I can guarantee no one will guess it.

Bob27 said:
Anyway i'm not sure if I like the idea of switching races two times in the map, it depends how you make it though. If you just suddenly change race and start of at level one again, then it probably won't be very good. So heres my surgestions on how you make that part of it.

1. Make sure that the player has a choice of when he wants to change race, and when you get up to that part make sure you have a Dialog or something pop up saying Are you sure you want to switch race?
2. Try and have it so that it is pretty much different parts of the game.

Anyway it sounds like that was what you were thinking so
You misunderstand, what happens is you play through as one of the starting races and at the end you get given a code that allows you to unlock the next race, with all of the first three codes you can play the secret fourth race.

Each playthrough will be very different, the only similarities should be major events happening, i.e. wars. Think of it almost as four RPG's in one, so I'll likely only get one done for the contest.

Bob27 said:
As for the Dwarves, living on boats is a neat idea, and its definatly different to what the Dwarves are like in about every other fantasy world.
Wrong, in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson, Dwarves sail in stone boats (or was it Giants? shit nevermind XD).

@ArcticInferno Yes, mapping can support your life quite well. Do you think Blizzard's level designers do it for free?

P.S. I might need some help on this, so if anyone wants to then please tell me.

Level 24
Shados said:

Don't worry, my cities will be awe-inspiring, the main map will be over-max size (using WEU) and I'm using maybe 2-3 maps anyway, so I have the room. The Other's City isn't exactly super-uber as alot of it was ruined and it was only recently recovered and so all it's secrets have yet to be unlocked.

Ok good, well I think that it will take heaps of time to terrain this map then if your using WEU max, I myself am using about 360x256 or something I think.

Shados said:

WAY off, I can guarantee no one will guess it.

Panderian, Dwarf, Blood Elf, Undead, Night Elf, Murlocs, Wolves, Goblins, Tauren, Trolls, Spiders, Snakes, Naga, Cat People from The Elder Scrolls, Lizard people from Elder Scrolls, any of those? :)

Shados said:

You misunderstand, what happens is you play through as one of the starting races and at the end you get given a code that allows you to unlock the next race, with all of the first three codes you can play the secret fourth race.

Each playthrough will be very different, the only similarities should be major events happening, i.e. wars. Think of it almost as four RPG's in one, so I'll likely only get one done for the contest.

Ok then sounds good.

Shados said:

Wrong, in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson, Dwarves sail in stone boats (or was it Giants? shit nevermind XD).

Stone Boats hey, wouldn't they just sink? ;)

Shados said:

@ArcticInferno Yes, mapping can support your life quite well. Do you think Blizzard's level designers do it for free?

I would love to get payed for making maps, but I think Blizzards completly forgoten about Warcraft III anyway :(

Well i'll make something up now about my RPG.

Level 12
Hey RDZ, can you not say 'leech off my parents'? what i mean is that NO ONE can be a full-time mapper(Like you have something more important than your life like Student/Manager/Worker)...Maybe it's a misconception. Yes, its worth for the satisfaction, but not exchangable for your Full-Time, just a hobby as bob27 stated.

P.S I'm not somesort of materialist.

Level 24
Ok heres my RPG. The RPG takes place around the time the Burning Crusade is set. You are a Blood Elf, and your people have just returned to Quel'Thalas, and you have to try and find a new source of magic for the Blood Elves, and protect what sources of magic the Blood Elves already posses. TI have many more ideas about other things that happen in the story, but I won't post them.

Status
Not open for further replies.