• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map in a Month Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Map in a Month Contest

The idea of the MiaM contest is to create a good-quality working map in one month (December), with only one week's warning to brainstorm ideas (23rd-30th November).

Contents

[self=#rules]Rules[/self]
[self=#judging]Judging[/self]
[self=#deadline]Deadline[/self]
[self=#prizes]Prizes[/self]
[self=#contestants]Contestants[/self]
[self=#entries]Entries[/self]
[self=#notes]Notes[/self]

Rules

• Any work on the map must be done during the month of December, any maps started before this time will be disqualified.
  • Using pre-created systems in your map is allowable, but the map itself must have been started during December 2006.
  • The map can be any type of map you want, melee, cinematic, campaign, RPG, TD etc. However, the more time consuming genres (Campaign, RPG etc) are not recomended.
  • The map must be made by only 1 person, no teams allowed as this would mean more cumulative working time available on the map.
  • The rules are subject to change at any time, and although if this happens I will try to leave a notice you should still check them regularly.

Judging

The map will be judged based on:
  • Terrain.
  • Triggering (Try to comment all your trigger work and preferably make it easily readable).
  • Object Data.
  • Story.
  • Gameplay.
  • Graphics (Not the game's, but basically how nice the map looks as a whole).
  • Sounds (I encourage making good use of sounds, they add alot to atmosphere).
  • S Factor (Like X Factor, but I prefer the letter S ;D)
Each will be judged out of 10, with 1 being lowest and 10 being highest. If any of the fields are unapplicable - i.e. Story in a Melee map -, then they will simply not be included in the maps overall average (This doesn't mean they receive a 1).

All judges are staff members who have volunteered for the job:
  • Me (Shados).
  • Apply Here

The maps will also be released to the public and a poll put up, the public's favourite will also receive a prize.

Deadline

You have one week from now (23rd of November) untill the 1st of December to brainstorm ideas for your map, and then from December 1st to 31st to make the map. Judging will begin on the 1st of January and will go on for as long as it takes.

Prizes

The winner chosen by the Staff Judges will receive 40 reputation points, a title if wanted (Along the lines of MiaM 2006 Winner) and an award icon.

The public's favourite based on the poll results will receive 20 reputation points, a title if wanted (Along the lines of MiaM 2006 Public Favourite) and an award icon.

Contestants

To apply for the MiaM contest post here or PM me or any Administrators or other active Global Moderators, write your entry in the format:
Map Name:
Genre:
Estimated Time to Complete:

[row][column]
Entries
[column]
Map Name
  • Warhammer Fantasy Hero Siege
  • Christmas Eve Survival
  • Runes of Chaos
  • Hunters
  • The World of Kelslade
  • Mini-Me's Super Bomberman
[/column][column]
Genre
  • Hero Siege(Offence)
  • Survival/Christmas/Humor
  • Other/RPG
  • RPG
  • Other
  • Arena/Other
[/column][column]
Author
  • Christers
  • Brad.dude03
  • rulerofiron99
  • camel's_hump
  • Bob27
  • Mini-Me
[/column][column]
Estimated Time to Completion
  • No idea.
  • Before Christmas is my goal. Terrain and other parts are already done, so I think my date is reasonable. Complications could change that though.
  • No idea, depends on the mood + other projects, probably before 20th or so
  • I have no clue when I will finish it:p
  • Hopfuly before the end of the deadline.
  • Before the contests deadline :)
[/column]
[/column][/row]

Notes

If all goes well, I will likely host the contest next year and make this an annual event. Also, if you're having trouble thinking of map ideas, you can always do something Christmassy.

Last edited:
Level 18
Erm, is there any tool to see when the file was 'first edited'?

Probably. I might look around.

What if the mapper, say, wanted to use complex trigger systems like item stacking or weapons systems that had been previously created?

I'll allow it and edit the first post to reflect that, are you entering?

-*meow*

Level 24
I will be entering, but if I do not get my entry done before the deadline I'll be a judge for you then.

I'll make another post once I have decided what Genre and what the map will be about.

Edit: Btw Shados heres that banner I said I would make. If any one wants to help advertise just put this code in their signature.

[URL="http://www.forums.hiveworkshop.com/showthread.php?p=69867"][IMG]http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4702/miamty0.jpg[/IMG]The Hive Workshop's Map in a Month Contest[/URL]

Last edited:
Dang. Starting before december as an disqualification is such a cliche.

Shados, that is stupid, even if it has starting date coded somewhere in file, dont you think that someone could hack it? Or open a new map and copy terrain, triggers and stuff... it's not to safe anyway...

BTW I HaVe an idea for giving points:

every user except maker can give points, from 1 to 5.
moderators give 1 to 5, points, but it's multipled 5X
respected users give same as moderators, but it's multipled 2X

TAG - Gets 1/3 amount of points, even if it's good, because it's to short
Malee - Gets 1/2 since it cant have much special things without triggers (but a good one always has something special)
AoS - Gets 1X amount of points, since it doesnt consume time like rpg nor it's short like tag
RPG - Gets 2X amount of points, since it consumes much time (lol, good rpgs)
Campaign - Gets 3X amount of points since it's one of hardest genres to make (lol, good one, again)
Cinematic - Gets 3X amount of points since it requires good artist to be completed (lol, again and again i consider it's a good one)

Level 18
Annoying though it may be that I just have to trust you on the started by date, I'm not going to remove that rule. The point of the contest is to make a map in a month, and who says I can't find the creation date if it is embedded in the map? No offense, but you don't know anything about what I may be able to do... Although I probably couldn't ^^. And I don't know what you mean by clique..... And I'm not going to follow that judging scheme, I'll stick with having staff judges and then a poll to select a public favourite. The system you use would mean we had bias for/against particular genres, which is not what I want. I'm sure the judges will take into account the limited time frame etc if anyone attempts a campaign or RPG, however.

-*meow*

Status
Not open for further replies.