• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rocky Mountains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Recently I have begun terraining for an upcoming ORPG. Now I consider myself a decent terrainer, but we are really going all out on this, and I feel I need to improve some of my skills in order to better capture what I am going for.

Particularly one thing that is really key to my concept are those rocky cliffs/mountains that I've seen in a number of truly great terrains.

For example:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've tried a fair bit to work out how to do this and asked some of the people who created them but with no success.

So anyways, to the point. If anyone knows how to make these sort of Rocky Cliffs/Mountains, could you please:
A) Link me to a tutorial that explains how to do it.
B) Give me a map with some of these in it.
C) Show me how to do it.

Level 13
I do not know if its just me but there are no pictures in the tabs.

EDIT:they are working sorry shitty computer i have but there very nice
post some more pics please there quite good.

Level 35
Their working.

And to make rocky cliffs isnt all that hard, its just a hell of a hassle. You simply use the raise ground tool to make a mountain, then you decide where you want the rocks to be, then you mash them together, sink them into the side of the cliff, scale them... etc.. etc..

Its a quite delicate process, and requires some dedication :p

Level 11
L2love, I don't think you read my post...

Keiji, I see I see, Thanks a lot :D
hmm I'd still like to get my hands on one of those maps, well that would be a lot of work on this, though it would look really good, well we'll see. :)

forsakener, not very clearly

Level 21
just get the picture url by right clicking and copy image link thing.

well yeah like keiji said its a massive hassle, you just need to get the rocks, scale them, shape the mountains, etc, etc
you can downsize the texture of the rocks in high res to quite a small amount, use gimp/photoshop and just half the resolution. unless you make them extremely large, they retain the quality fully

Level 11
just get the picture url by right clicking and copy image link thing.

well yeah like keiji said its a massive hassle, you just need to get the rocks, scale them, shape the mountains, etc, etc
you can downsize the texture of the rocks in high res to quite a small amount, use gimp/photoshop and just half the resolution. unless you make them extremely large, they retain the quality fully

We've already found a solution that will allow us to use the entire High Res pack so thats ok.

I guess I'll take a shot at it, hopefully it won't take too much time, cause I am willing to put a lot of time into doing this terrain. Thanks :)

Level 7
The rocks are from the wc3campaigns realistic models pack found in the terrain section. Take the rocks out they are named something crazy since it's in a different language but you can go from the object editor to find them. Reduce the size of the realistic rocks texture tho(you should if u want to make a playable map).

To edit terrain to extravagant heights really high/low. Download the .txt file from wc3campaigns terrain section as well and put it in a folder called UI in your wc3 folder.

You also need to keep in mind the fact that those terrains are not always playable. They have a great result, but only for the sake of "terraining", not "mapping". The reason is that those pieces of terrain use a load of doodads, which causes extreme lag on slow PC's. You generally have many chances of realising your dream-world within the Warcraft III environment (luckily we are left with a decent legacy on both models and triggers/systems), but unfortunately, this doesn't mean that you will make a seperate RPG. You still work on the Warcraft III engine, which was not destinated as an RPG producer.

Level 11
Switch, Ive already done all that, and set it all up in the map, and I do have MiscData.txt

Pharaoh, true true, though with JASS and Custom UI you could create a pretty far departure from the Wc3 Engine, if only you could get rid of the Wc3 UI (Unfortunately there are black boxes below it though :( )

All in all though I think Ive found a decent compromise on my ideas to use in the map :)

Level 18
im not sure but someone is taking the task of getting rid of the Wc3 UI. As in getting rid of the black part that everyone hates. Not sure if itll be successful. Im sure that there is something in the WC3 Script that creates that black box.and someone somewhere is gonna find that script and change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.