• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Revenge of the FrostSpawn - AoS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm uploading this here because it's been my concept for a long time until Starcraft 2 was released. I've even began basing a concept for a story on it, but I had no time for that as well. However I won't have any time for playing/modding the next couple of years.
Also because I'm not sure at all that even if I would, I could handle this alone... And for some reason I think it isn't all that original. :(
Feel free to prove me wrong and to volunteer to help or take it on yourself, though! I'll only ask for credits on the concept and the terrain, and that's all.

Revenge of the FrostSpawn

Story:
As you remember, in the Frozen Throne Campaign Arthas had killed the Forgotten One in the deep caverns of Azjol-Nerub, and united with the Lich King in the throne of the IceCrown Glacier. Shortly afterwards the death of the Forgotten One the ancient Nerubian cities began to stir and come to life, seeking revenge on the murderer of their guardian. The Nerubians, which had united with Driders and the Dragonspawn, climbed out of the ancient caves and began slowly crawling towards the Frozen Throne. The Naga, detesting the everlasting control of the Lich King, also joined their side in their quest for freedom. And so this will all come down to a battle between the dead and the dreaded.

Concept:
AoS map with up to 8 players (more players need to be discussed), similar to Dota. While automated creeps will continuously spawn towards the enemy base, the players will play as heroes and gain levels, buy items and kill enemies in order be the last team standing.
However, this AoS is more unique because each team battles on 3 fronts, and each front is handled by a different race:
North Team - Undead Scourge, Corrupted Humans & Night Elves
South Team - DragonSpawn, Naga, Nerubians, Driders & Forgotten Ones
The concept focuses on the battle on different fronts, for example Naga vs Scourge, or DragonSpawn vs Corrupted Humans, etc.
The key to this concept is variation. Players will have a variation of races to play, a variation of paths to take for gaining XP and items and for improving their push against the enemy. North team will also have a variation for most or all of their classes - for example dps warrior or tank warrior.

Tech and Functionality:
As I said each front consists of a different race, and there will be only one player able to play as it. This means that per team there is only one player per race (and there are 3 races for each team), with each race having a different variety of heroes and units, plus one player which will be slightly more independent (will be explained later), so that's a basic 4 players per team.
As each player plays as a different race they will be the only ones able to "tech" that race... Each race has its own upgrades to strengthen its own units and unlock new units for that race, and only the player playing as that race will be able to use them.

AI Heroes - A part of the tech is that because there is so much customization of heroes the AI that controls the normal continuously-spawning units will also be able to control one hero unit from that specific race. It will help in the front lines and never leave them.

Hero Evolving - Another part of the tech will be that once the heroes (both AI and player) will reach a certain level they pay a certain amount of resources to "evolve", meaning upgrade their hero's class (and the skills with them, and possibly the stats as well). The process will take some 30 seconds and in the end their hero will be swapped (evolving is somewhat similar to Poke'mon). For example a Nerubian Sentry might reach level 10 and choose to be upgraded into a Nerubian Corruptor, with more HP and different skills. As for the level I'm not sure if it should decrease or remain the same.

Side Quests
A unique feature for this will be the ability to play side quests. There are areas in the middle of the map which are not utilized by the main battle, and they will hold neutral creeps that both teams will be able to kill. Perhaps they may draw the heroes from the front lines, but they will give rewards of XP and items (possibly).

The 4th Player Per Team
As I mentioned there are 3 fronts, and yet 4 players per team! What then is their role?
They will be Captains.
The 4th player will also play with a hero. However they will not control a race as the other players but they will have to focus on their hero, unlike the other players which may utilize the tech for their race if they wish. However the hero they will have will be stronger than the rest and will also be able to evolve, but will also be able to buy "mercenary" units which he will also control. The mercenary units rely on strength and not on numbers. However by concept they will not be able to lead an attack to the enemy (only to support it) and will be used to defend against the enemy's attacks. The Scourge's captain will be the Lich King which can evolve to a stronger form of himself, the Frostspawn's will be some deadly lump of ice which will be able to evolve to an even more deadly lump of ice.

I'll update this with some screenshots of the terrain soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.