• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Castle Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
moats

I took out moats earlier when i found it wasnt going to work for making bridges anywhere you wanted. But i guess some castles can have their advantages by location,raised ground, and moats.

Still thinking on it.

Level 7
Not all castles have moats. So I guess it wouldn't be critical.

Will there be Siege Towers and defensive catapults/trebuchets?
~Craka_J

Yeah, defiantly will have Siege Towers and catapults/trebuchets. I have the trebuchet working already and just added the catapults.

Catapults need stat fixes and the Siege Towers will be put in after i look over my castle layouts one more time.

Like the resizing of the brush Gilles :) and the underground stream does look neat.

Level 7
model

:), I saw that model and thought the same thing to, cept, I HATE skinning ><. I've only found recently how to skin with ingame textures. Still dont know how to with custom made, ill figure it out sometime.
Now modelling, I can do. Im still learning to animate with blender but I can models fairly alright atm.

Thanx for the link though :). I've went through almost every model now but i forgot what page their on so i go back threw them all if i decide to use one =P.

Level 34
Okay, I'll send it after tomorrow. One castle does have a moat, and a bridge. I raised the ground under the bridge so it was poking through, and added the road tile so it matches the rest of the road. I think it looks good!

Level 25
Don't unbalance the castles. Here is what I think you should do to make it more balanced:

One castle is on low, flat ground and has a moat.

But the other castle is fortified on high ground with no moat.

That ought to even the odds pretty well. If not, I can come up with better ideas to reinforce them. :smile:
~Craka_J

Level 34
Well my ideal for the non-moat one would be something similar to Rohan in lotr.

Too bad I already terrained around it. I'll try and elevate it.

Level 25
Born2Modificate released a model a while back in Wc3Campaigns.net's models/resources area of a 'booby trap' that looks like patch of grass, but has an animation that makes wooden spikes stick out of the grass suddenly. You can use this as a trap in your map. Though you'd probably have to change the tileset to Ashenvale or Village to make it blend better and not seem so obvious.
~Craka_J

Level 34
More updates. I'm running short on ideas.

Attachments

• Mout Castle.jpg
    Mout Castle.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 126
Level 34
I will. Here's another picture. Ignore the pathing blockers! I forgot to hit I.

I keep trying to import different doodads into my map, but the WE crashes when I'm "browsing" for the files to upload. If I do it quick, it's fine. 0_0

Another update. Got new trees in. I like these because you can place lots and not worry about vision!

Attachments

• untitledasdf.jpg
    untitledasdf.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 96
  • New Trees.jpg
    New Trees.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 242
  • New Trees2.jpg
    New Trees2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Level 7
pic

Looks nice :). From above view its a fair walk to each castle, but from ground view it looks like its a couple blocks away haha. Oh well, just means quicker confrontations.

That bug sometimes happens to me but just when i right click and do properties of the models im importing to see their size from the open file window.

Level 34
New area. I'm really happy with this spot!

Attachments

• rUINS.jpg
    rUINS.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 120
Level 7
terrain

The only thing i see that could be improved is all the tree's angles. Alot are angled the same degree. Just put some random numbers in and i think it'll be better :). I had to do that with the same tree model in my RPG map.
Keep up the good work Gilles.

Level 34
I agree as well. I noticed it right away, but haven't done anything about it yet. It also sucks that there is only on model of that tree. How can I change the angle on all of them at once? Is it possible?

Level 34
More updates. Almost finished everything but the second castle, haven't touched it yet.

Attachments

• Grave Yard.jpg
    Grave Yard.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 371
  • Graveyard2.jpg
    Graveyard2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 387
  • Camp.jpg
    Camp.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 377
Righty, I'm here now :D
That terrain is sexy, although I think you should use a bit more of grassy dirt instead of the uber green grass tile. The walls are nice, although I'd recommend making little grass things and lifting them up and around it, to make them look a bit more realistic. The river rushes are a little over-greened, maybe a bit darker, in my opinion. For rocks, maybe lower them by like one thing to remove the weird pebbles round 'em. Only other thing is that you're using too much of the grass tile, as already said, IMO. I think you should add a bit more dark grass and short grass (repeat).
Overall, for a BNet map although the angles won't be as good, great!

Level 34
I can't add any more tiles without WEU. The rushes are too green, I meant to change them eventually, also there are barely any in the map. The rocks are better now, I added a roll to them, and it doesn't really matter because it's a birds eye view. I don't see how the tiles are bad, I like them, would be nice to have a new grass tile, but w/e.

Level 34
Hurray, I'm done for now. Beta should be coming out soon, after sk8ter implements the new zone bonuses, and tweaks units.

Updates added. Pretty much finished terrain, unless sk8ter wants more or changes the castles.

Attachments

• Castle to Castle.jpg
    Castle to Castle.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 346
  • Overview2.jpg
    Overview2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Swamp.jpg
    Swamp.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Swamp2.jpg
    Swamp2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Level 34
You can't go up there ;) Do you really think I would leave it? It has some houses that do with game play.

Level 34
Hopefully. It's all up to sk8ter though, he's the boss. I think he wants to implement some more stuff first, I added a new idea.

He (as stated above) is sick and progress is slow.

Level 7
Those wall models were from the wc3campaigns if i remember right.

*update*
Not much really to write cept im going to use the way that lotr helms deep map uses siege towers to get on walls for now. I might keep it but I would like to have something different and working (mines not working).

Gilles, for the siege tower, I figure it can be modelled and have a low size in the end. Think I should spend time on it? I probably wont use it till after beta since it will need to be boned,animated, and skinned. Skinned by someone else cause i cant do that :p.

Last things needing checked so far:
1. Siege weapons, towers, infantry balance
2. Every unit with their own special passive or activable ability.
3. Balanced combat system
4. Decent resource-income system
5. Trader merchants completed and pathed

Ill need a closed Pre-beta test for half and the rest I can solo. I can't host cuz my router doesnt have port-forwarding... so ill have find someone that can.

If you can think of anything Gilles or if anyone has some neat idea's let me know. I have all siege type units already needing atleast 1 person inside to attack. The more inside, the faster the unit can attack. Same for the castle towers to.

Level 7
Castle Siege is rdy for a closed beta test. I fixed afew things with units,added afew triggers,etc. Its not fully beta yet but its close. Theirs still acouple unit abilities i need to add and a couple places with special area's that need done. Just a couple things and it should do it.

Level 7
Release time

I'm looking at a 2vs2 or a 4vs4 closed beta match. With current entry's, its about 3-4.

I wouldn't mind one tonight, it would be missing things that tommorows map could have but it will essentially be the same. It's mostly to test combat and see how units can be used right or how some can be abused.

Status
Not open for further replies.