• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Retera's Model Studio

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
This is Retera's Model Studio v0.04 Public Beta. It is not finished! But it is something that works and is better than the Matrix Eater application, and is compatible with Patch 1.32.

Retera's Model Studio is the second evolution of the Matrix Eater project. It is a standalone MDL and MDX model editor. The project has diverged from the Matrix Eater that is available here on the Hive, and become a different program with features that do not totally overlap -- although my goal is for this to entirely replace the Matrix Eater.

Features:
  • Open and view MDL and MDX model files
  • CASC Data browser with double-click to view model, or texture, using JCASC from DrSuperGood
  • Attempts to support every single Warcraft III Patch up to and including Patch 1.31
  • MPQ Data browser seamlessly replaces CASC browser when using older patches of the game
  • 24 color "Team Color" menu will seamlessly swap to 12 colors when using an older patch of the game
  • Edit the model geometry (Select by Vertex, Select by Face, Select by Group)
  • Editor hotkeys that were not present in the Matrix Eater predecessor (QWER for edit mode, ASDF for select mode)
  • Control which Geosets are editable at one time
  • Animation Previewing (No particles or ribbons yet)
  • An "Open Internal" menu for loading game models quickly
  • Can open and save MDX to MDL or MDL to MDX using a converter that supports features such as ReplaceableId on Particle Emitters better than some alternatives
  • Includes a basic UV map editor
  • Multiple GUI themes available in the Preferences Window
Experimental Features:
  • Create a new blank model with basic planes and boxes
  • Can open BLP or PNG images for previewing (similar to Magos application)
  • Includes an Edit Textures menu to view the list of used textures, and quickly change used paths.
  • Quick Browse: Opening a new model in the Data Browser will close unsaved old ones (can be turned off in preferences)
  • Customizable layout, allowing you to draw components of the UI into different places
  • Window -> Reset Layout to reload the default layout
  • T-Pose edit mode, which can move mesh based on assigned bones in a more intelligent way
  • Cluster selection mode, similar to Group mode but using connected mesh rather than assigned VertexGroup
  • Animation edit mode, which can edit and modify animations (Warning: uses Hermite and Bezier by default, and inserts incorrect inward and outward tangents that will cause visual "vibrations" of nonlinear models in some cases, this is a fixable bug, needs more time)
  • Hive Browser is a feature that does not work and was added only as a UI mockup to discuss technology, and was included by accident in V0.01. It will be removed in V0.02, as to my knowledge, the required server technology for the hypothetical feature to work was not built.
Limitations:
  • Unlike Matrix Eater, this application cannot pin a Geoset to be visible but not editable
  • Unlike Matrix Eater, this application gives no indication of a node's name graphically in the 2D editing space
  • No user interface to control mounting system for MPQ/CASC hybrid loading system, so it will break again in Patch 1.32 or whenever Blizzard moves data once again
  • Inherits WC3 cached install directory information from Matrix Eater, which can be removed in the case of incompatibility and is located at C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\JWC3\user.profile
  • After running this application, configuration settings from the Matrix Eater application may become corrupted and not work correctly, causing strange white background errors (This application will not be affected)
Required for running Retera's Model Studio:
  • A Java SE Runtime Environment. A bundle is included with a Windows 64-bit EXE launcher but if you want the application to run on Linux or Mac then you must install the Java SE Runtime Environment separately.
  • The above statement means that if you are a 32-bit Windows XP user, the EXE application will not function (only tested with Windows 7 64-bit, and Windows 10 64-bit)
  • A valid Warcraft III Installation (only tested with Patch 1.22 through Patch 1.31)
Additionally bundled applications (main methods in the same Java application included as EXE files):
  • Includes the AnimTransfer EXE that was previously included with Matrix Eater, which will use the Retera Model Studio MDL and MDX parser, which has significant subtle improvements over the one in the Matrix Eater application thanks to contributions from Ghostwolf.
  • Includes the ObjectEditor EXE shown in YouTube videos that has custom folders based on unit race, and can be opened multiple times simultaneously and can select, copy, and paste multiple Units between two running instances of the software. (Known to have bugs, requires Windows Clipboard, fails on Linux)
  • BlpConv EXE that can be used to convert TGA to BLP using DrSuperGood's blp-iio-plugin on systems where Magos or BLP Lab are not working (although these two alternative tools are typically superior to mine)
v0.04.2b
  • Fixed a bug in "Edit/delete model components" reported by Hive user @Makkad (retains FaceFX chunks now)
v0.04.2
  • Tiny change requested by discord user VictorZ that allows "Rotate Type-In" to work in the Animation Editor. (The code for this was copied almost directly from the Twilac version of 0.05, so you should seriously probably just use 0.05!)

v0.04.1
  • Opening a file in a folder does not walk the directory tree of that folder
  • Scripts -> Skin Splice function added upon request from Vulfar
v0.04 for 1.32.10
  • Fixes the program to work with the new Warcraft III Patch 1.32.10 that changed the TFVS formatting for some reason.
  • Includes some really minor internal bug fixes over the previous version
v0.04:
  • Merged the version known as "Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack" to be the mainline version of the tool going forward (this version includes all of the fixes listed here)
  • Added support for Reforged assets and a bunch of bug fixes related to working with those
  • Added "Scripts -> Assign FormatVersion 800" to convert Reforged Classic Models to the legacy classic model format, as well as "Scripts -> Assign FormatVersion 1000" to convert legacy game client models to match the format used by the "Classic Graphics" of Reforged.
  • Added a "Reforged Graphics Mode" and "Classic Graphics Mode" in the data sources chooser panel
  • Added the "Model" tab which is buggy and unfinished
v0.03:
  • Changed the program to use Java 11. Had trouble exporting the JAR from Eclipse, so I changed it back to Java 8 for now.
  • Changed the program to use the latest version of DrSuperGood's JCASC, which requires Java 11 to use, then I modified his code so that it did not require Java 11 so that we could continue deployment in the previous fashion.
  • Changed the startup sequence to use a "data source chooser" view, which is also available in Preferences. This allows users to load CASC or MPQ data in a way that is intended to be straightforward and clear to the user, and for CASC data the user able to choose the locale to load from the game. Locales that are present in the CASC's list but have not been downloaded from Blizzard are shown in dark red. These dark red options won't work until you launch Warcraft III at least one time using that locale.
  • Changed the startup sequence to return the user to the "data source chooser" any time that the program crashes during startup, so that the user is always able to reconfigure their settings.
  • Changed the model previewer to include the rendering of Particle Emitters, so that users can have a better feel for how their models might look in-game. This is a nontrivial task that involves many hundreds of lines of code replicating the behavior of the game and it was only possible because of the works of Ghostwolf, which I translated nearly directly from JavaScript into Java.
    • "Squirt" mode particles will emit at random times when they should not because of a difference between my code and Ghostwolf's code (his does not have this bug).
    • Also, priority plane and layering are known to have issues.
  • Added a JSON parser that loads the "filealiases.json" data when using CASC. This file is used by the 1.30 and 1.31 clients to support removed legacy files inside the Warcraft III game, and it will now be supported by the Retera Model Studio when viewing models. This will fix missing textures in some instances when the textures were not missing in-game.
  • Changed the default application data folder to be named "ReteraStudio" instead of "JWC3". This change removes bad interactions with the "Matrix Eater" application where the "Retera Model Studio" and "Matrix Eater" would write clashing versions of the same data to the same settings file (see "AppData/Roaming/ReteraStudio" on your computer).
    • This will cause a reset of all user settings for the Retera Model Studio version v0.03.
    • If you wish to avoid a settings reset, copy your settings file from "AppData/Roaming/JWC3". However I do not promise backwards compatibility.
  • Fixed an issue with the Quick Browse option so that turning it off and on will work correctly.
  • Added a scroll bar to the "Change Animation Lengths (by Scaling)" popup. (Thanks Mythic!) This popup is now listed under the "Scripts" menu.
  • Added 3 new GUI Themes: HiFi, Acryl, and Aluminium. These are all from the JTattoo library. Also, the "Dark" theme was technically the "Noire" theme from the JTattoo library, and it has been renamed accordingly. Aluminium is now the default theme (this can still be changed in the Preferences Window).
  • Changed code in the BLP loading pipeline used for rendering models and icons that aims to avoid destruction of texture data that is beneath an alpha channel yet loaded on a model's surface regardless of the alpha channel. Previously visual artifacts were visible in some cases that were not in accordance with how the textures would display in the Warcraft III game.
  • Added an "Edit" button in the Time Bound Chooser panel, but it does not actually work yet and will be fixed in a future version.
  • Changed some code with the "X" button on the program and how closing model files functions, so that it should not be able to bug out and fail to close a model or fail to close the application in a way unexpected by the user.
  • Added a system in the 3D displays that compares the aspect ratios known to the application with the aspect ratios known to the graphics card that attempts to use this information to fix the renderer when used on desktops that have the UI Scale setting specified. This was tested on Windows 10 with the UI scale, and it still fails on multiple monitor configurations where the second or third monitor have differing UI Scale specified. However, it should always work correctly on the main display when previously it may not have worked correctly at all.
  • Added a Preferences option to disable rendering particle emitters, as well as a separate option to disable rendering particle emitters in the Editor view.
  • Changed the "Use Boxes for Pivot Points" option so that it also affects the 2D displays in the Animation Editor.
  • Changed the Right-Click mouse button not to do anything on the Outliner widget, so that it can popup an "Edit" option on a popup menu in a future version of the software.
  • Changed the code that converts program data to MDX at Save time, so that some models that previously would not save due to state corruption inside the Model Studio will now be able to save. There may be more similar bugs yet to be fixed.
  • Changed the SLK parser used to load Unit Data so that it should be able to load data from the Reign of Chaos and from Project Revolution, in case users wish to load that data using the new game data source choosing settings.
  • Changed the Unit Browser to reload its contents when the program data source is changed. Previously, the "View -> Change Game Directory" option was likely to change the internal setting but keep previously cached information in the Unit Browser.
  • Added a command line option, "-forcedataprompt" to force the program to start with the Data Source Chooser window, so that users can specify their Warcraft III game data source without launching the application.
  • Changed how missing textures resolve so that they should resolve to a white surface. This should hopefully remove the irritating popup.
  • Attempted to make the Perspective view constantly repaint itself to always update dynamically, however in practice this is still not working in some cases.
  • Changed the texture loader so that a default Tree texture will be loaded when the replaceable texture ID is not known. This does not yet help with previewing cliff models but it means that the Mountain Giant and similar models should preview decently.
  • Added a scroll bar to the Texture Manager shown with "Tools -> Edit Textures" for use on models with many textures
  • Reorganized some of the program menus to attempt to make them more logical (Based on some suggestions from Hayate, many thanks! If only this program could be updated as quickly as his mockup UI!) More changes to these may be added in a future version, as they are still rather disorganized.
    • The new "Scripts" is a place for one-off script utilities that don't fit anywhere else, and maybe be user modifiable to include custom code in the future. At this time, it is only a preset list.
    • "Scripts -> Export Animated to Static Mesh" is a new option to build snapshot models. Unfortunately, it only snapshots the currently timeline in the Editor view, not in the Viewer that you see when you start the application. Also, it discards all node information, including Billboarded nodes, so camera-centric planes will be left to face forward instead of the camera.
    • "Edit -> Optimize" now include an option to merge all geosets that share like materials and visibility that is called "Minimize Geosets". Misha and a few other users have been asking for this option for years. I have not tested it very extensively and there may still be bugs in it. It worked on one or two sample cases that I experimented with.
  • In v0.01/v0.02 I added an option in Program Preferences to allow loading Non-BLP textures, so that users can open a PNG file or a model that references a PNG file even though these are generally not valid MDX files when used inside the Warcraft III game. This option may have been changed in the newer one to fix bugs, according to some of my code history information.
  • Fixed a crash relating to parsing WTS files for unit data, such as when the Data Source Chooser is used to load a custom map file as an MPQ.
  • Changed "Error: A matrix's bone id was not referencing a real bone!" to be a console log line instead of a popup, so that users do not receive a spamming wave of popups when opening a model file.
  • Changed the model parser to accept models with missing Pivot Points (as the Warcraft III game does), so that the Retera Model Studio is able to open some MDX models that previously would have caused a crash popup.
v0.02:
  • Removed Hive Browser UI mockup that did not work
  • Wrapped the startup code in a block that will catch and display errors in a GUI
  • Fixed an issue where users who had never run the Matrix Eater application in the past would have the Retera Model Studio application crash the first time it was run
Personal note: On the Matrix Eater application, I left a note where I said:
I really wanted to revamp this program and add new features and write a tutorial before I uploaded it onto the Hive, but I just haven't had time recently, and I want to stop sitting on this updated version because it has several internal fixes that should make it less likely to save buggy MDX models and so I feel the community deserves this new version in case anybody is using the program -- regardless of whether I end up getting the time to improve it to match up with my dreams or not.

This application does not solve that concern of mine. I am not uploading this as a finished product. But as we have seen with Patch 1.31, some times, software is pushed into production when it isn't ready. That is the case with this application. I want more than I have. I just can't stand not to share with the community what I have anymore, because I feel a deep sense of guilt for anyone who is using the Matrix Eater application and forcing themselves to mod on Patch 1.26 or some nonsense, while the above application existed on my computer and has for almost a year.

I believe in the power of open source, and this application is entirely open source. I have been developing it for about two years since the Matrix Eater was posted, and it has evolved out of the same codebase. This is the same GitHub link that was included on the Matrix Eater program, but it now contains the source for Retera Model Studio:
Retera/JWC3
Previews
Contents

Retera Model Studio 0.04.4m (For Patch 1.33) (Binary)

Retera's Model Studio 0.4.5j (Experimental) (Binary)

Reviews
Archian
If it wasn't for this tool, Reforged Modeling wouldn't have become what it is today. In recognition of this, the Hive Administration team awards Retera's Model Studio a Director's Cut status. @Retera
Level 3
hello, i got a problem when using "HD->SD with baking" to export "war3.w3mod\_hd.w3mod\doodads\cityscape\props\knightstatuea\knightstatuea.mdx".

tool version v0.04.4e (the newest downloaded from this thread).

the error message is pasted below, any body can tell me how to fix it?

Code:
Unknown error occurred:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Zero length vector
    at org.lwjgl.util.vector.Vector.normalise(Vector.java:91)
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.Material.getBakedHDNonEmissiveBufferedImage(Material.java:535)
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.EditableModel.convertToV800BakingTextures(EditableModel.java:3214)
    at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.EditableModel.convertToV800BakingTextures(EditableModel.java:3187)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel$118.lambda$actionPerformed$0(MainPanel.java:3397)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.onClickSaveAs(MainPanel.java:5136)
    at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel$118.actionPerformed(MainPanel.java:3396)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
    at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Level 5
Same problem, I was trying to Extract CASC or just put MDX file in there and I kept getting those messages. I just downloaded it, so maybe I am doing something wrong?

I think somewhere in my GUI there is a "Snap Normal(s)" button that makes all selected normals point the same direction. Then, if you have 1 vertex selected, the rotate tool will rotate its normal. This might not solve your problem, but maybe it will be a step in the right direction.

I think somewhere in my GUI there is a "Snap Normal(s)" button that makes all selected normals point the same direction. Then, if you have 1 vertex selected, the rotate tool will rotate its normal. This might not solve your problem, but maybe it will be a step in the right direction.
I figured it out. Snapping them was not needed, I just selected all the vertices on the edge and rotated them. Which rotated the normals.

Level 4
So I tried using this tool to export to blender but once it was there I noticed that the model was very blocky, is Blizzard working magic in game for these models to appear so smooth? Looking at them in the editor you'd think these had an insane poly count.

Yes. If you're not familiar with it, the Retera Model Studio (and Warcraft 3) are rendering the Reforged assets using PBR shaders ("Physics Based Rendering") and normal maps and stuff.

@Dord96 If you unzip the download, then run the ReterasModelStudio.exe, it should run the program. Hopefully it is "just that easy".

As a note for anybody watching this thread, I updated the program to version 0.04.4h. The change in this version is a code hack to try to make the Skin Splice function work on "classic"/"SD" model files.

Happy modding!

Level 4
1674066448585.png

I have a Reforged(I consider Reforged a failure) license and 1.26a. And I make my map at 1.26a for maximum compatibility with Warcraft 3. So, your program takes the path to Warcraft 3 from Regedit, where I have a path to 1.26a, because if I were Reforged, I would not be able to edit my map. Could you create a choice of the path to Warcraft 3?

Could you create a choice of the path to Warcraft 3?
Yes. If you are not able to start the program, you should have a popup window to choose the path when starting the program. It has a button "Add War3 Install" that works on 1.26a or on Reforged, and you will see different art inside Retera Model Studio based on what you pick. If you already picked, then it will remember on startup and you have to go to "Edit > Preferences" to change the path. You also probably have to click "Clear All" and then "Add War3 Install" both in that order. If you do not "Clear All", it is possible to configure Retera Model Studio to load some data from both 1.26a and from Reforged at the same time, which is a weird configuration. You probably do not want to do that.

What is "Skin Splice Mesh into Current" ?
This feature puts the geometry of the target file into the open file, but attempts to maintain the "rig" of the old geometry bound to the nodes in the current file. It can easily make the art function incorrectly or look weird, but it has use cases if you want to have one model use parts of the animations of another in some cases.

A small patch was released as version 0.04.4i that changes the model Previewer so that it no longer fades Reforged corpses, but Transparent reforged mesh no longer erases mesh that is behind it (Weird visual bug was pointed out to me by @Fugrim introduced in an update last month)

Level 4
Hey there, I remember there was a jar file for those of us that can't open the exe file. Just wondering what happened to it. And do you know if there's any progress to making this work for mac users using, metal?

I remember there was a jar file for those of us that can't open the exe file
Yeah. The code has not really changed much but I was encouraged by others to move forward to Java 17 and with it comes the possibility of packaging for Windows as I have done, so that most users have a 1 click solution.

I was able to run the contents of this download on Linux at one point even now when it is not an obvious single JAR, basically by using java -cp ./lib/* com.matrixeater.src.MainFrame if I recall. The idea is to tell Java to use all JARs from the "lib" folder.

Alternatively, if you want to bundle as 1 jar you could compile from the source on GitHub, or go and get the Twilac fork of Retera Model Studio which they often distribute as a single JAR file. Someone was trying to run the Twilac build on Mac recently I think in the Retera Model Studio Users Group discord server, so you could check there as a possibility. But I am not the manager of the Twilac fork.

Edit: P.S.: If this thing does still run on Mac, it will only do so because of OpenGL. I do not have the time as a hobbyist to rewrite my program using a different graphics driver api such as Metal, so in order for this to work on Metal at all you would need some kind of automatic OpenGL to Metal adapter. I dont have a Mac so I dont know if that exists.

Hello, I don't know where to press the wrong message, so I now open this program, there has been an error message, click a few times to determine that it is automatically exit the program. Even if I delete this program, as well as the decompression file, even the compressed package is deleted, and then download from you, and decompression open, are error messages, can not proceed to the next step. What should I do to get the program back to normal? Also, can you update and optimize this program, even if the user uses the error, it can automatically bounce back to the initial one. After all, at least other programs will not do this, a mistake can not be used, they but click wrong, the program will automatically return to the previous interface.

Attachments

• PX6$5$]$AYC0MX[E$V5WY{7.png
    PX6$5$]$AYC0MX[E$V5WY{7.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 13
  • F%RD$~TAL1KVCJHXPE6GQ%Y.png
    F%RD$~TAL1KVCJHXPE6GQ%Y.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 13
Level 17
Hello, I don't know where to press the wrong message, so I now open this program, there has been an error message, click a few times to determine that it is automatically exit the program. Even if I delete this program, as well as the decompression file, even the compressed package is deleted, and then download from you, and decompression open, are error messages, can not proceed to the next step. What should I do to get the program back to normal? Also, can you update and optimize this program, even if the user uses the error, it can automatically bounce back to the initial one. After all, at least other programs will not do this, a mistake can not be used, they but click wrong, the program will automatically return to the previous interface.
You set the Warcraft 3 path of RMS to a random folder inside W3ME, 0.04 doesn't have a perfect system to unbug itself in this case, so you'll have to manually reset it.
Go to %appdata% in your windows explorer and delete the folders called ReteraStudio and ReteraStudioBeta if they exist, then run it again. This time select the actual Warcraft 3 folder.

Likewise note that the latest versions of RMS might not work with 1.31, so you're advised to get the latest version.

You set the Warcraft 3 path of RMS to a random folder inside W3ME, 0.04 doesn't have a perfect system to unbug itself in this case, so you'll have to manually reset it.
Go to %appdata% in your windows explorer and delete the folders called ReteraStudio and ReteraStudioBeta if they exist, then run it again. This time select the actual Warcraft 3 folder.

Likewise note that the latest versions of RMS might not work with 1.31, so you're advised to get the latest version.
I just want to use it to extract the special effects model in the Warcraft MPQ file. The MPQ browser in War3ModelEditor1.07 is extracting the frozen special effects model of an ice dragon, it will automatically delete the bones of the special effects, making the model destroyed. I heard that this program can safely extract the special effects model of Warcraft 3, so I came here to download it. This program must be updated, because people like me always make mistakes, and hundreds of people will ask such questions later.

This program must be updated, because people like me always make mistakes
The program download has been updated to version 0.04.4j that attempts to resolve the issue that you were facing. Let me know if it works.

The program download has been updated to version 0.04.4j that attempts to resolve the issue that you were facing. Let me know if it works.
Thank you so much, this program finally goes back to the previous interface. You can update the instructions, the dot error also has the function to return to the previous interface. By the way, I don't have version 1.32 installed, can this program edit the classic version of warcraft model? Can you give me an installation tutorial? I don't want to make a lot of big mistakes because of my random manipulation, but this program makes me sleep hard all night.

Attachments

• Snipaste_2023-02-13_07-13-04.png
    Snipaste_2023-02-13_07-13-04.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Snipaste_2023-02-13_07-13-31.png
    Snipaste_2023-02-13_07-13-31.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 17
Level 17
Thank you so much, this program finally goes back to the previous interface. You can update the instructions, the dot error also has the function to return to the previous interface. By the way, I don't have version 1.32 installed, can this program edit the classic version of warcraft model? Can you give me an installation tutorial? I don't want to make a lot of big mistakes because of my random manipulation, but this program makes me sleep hard all night.
The second screen is good, click on that last entry that has a warning, then "delete selection", then click on OK and the program should open correctly

can this program edit the classic version of warcraft model?
Yes. The program is cross compatible with 1.22 - 1.29, or 1.32 - 1.35.
However, I specifically do not support 1.30 or 1.31 because of a CASC formatting issue.
If you compile the program from source, there is a special setting you can choose that will make the program support 1.30 and 1.31 but not support 1.32 - 1.35. So, it's possible, but currently that version has to be compiled separately.

Yes. The program is cross compatible with 1.22 - 1.29, or 1.32 - 1.35.
However, I specifically do not support 1.30 or 1.31 because of a CASC formatting issue.
If you compile the program from source, there is a special setting you can choose that will make the program support 1.30 and 1.31 but not support 1.32 - 1.35. So, it's possible, but currently that version has to be compiled separately.
I don t know how to install my Warcraft classic version is 1.27 ask for advice on how to install and use this program.

Attachments

• Y3O8SGRNH)AM]M242IERV[J.png
    Y3O8SGRNH)AM]M242IERV[J.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 8)U77~B~61AVZLR$T6B)9@6.png
    8)U77~B~61AVZLR$T6B)[email protected]
    48.8 KB · Views: 16
Level 28
can you provide a version of the retera that works on 32 bit windows 7?
There's no official support for Windows 7 32-bit as this legendary operating system ceased its update by January 2020. Not to mention, most games and apps (including Warcraft III) had already updated its requirements to only compatible with Windows 10 and 11, both on 64-bit.

Level 28
Well, I downloaded a version from here a year ago, or two years. and then it worked. I'm just asking for the old version. I have no way to switch to 64 bit because the processor does not allow to install
Currently, the author only provides a recent versions of this tool, which only compatible with Windows 10/11, both on 64-bit.
For the second question (although it's not the right place to post here), you might want to see this thread below. I encountered this several days ago:

I'm just asking for the old version.
Do you know the version number that you wanted?

Edit:
Also, while it is possible that I may have a copy of an old version of Retera Model Studio from back then, even if I did not it should be possible for you to access the free and open source code of the program (GitHub - Retera/ReterasModelStudio: Retera's Java WC3 libraries.) and then inside the git commit history all past versions of the program are recorded with timestamps and you could jump back in time to a particular version, and then recompile that version.

Level 9
Excuse me! I get this message everytime I try to Add WC3 Install Directory in Win11 64bit.
Previously on Win 10 64bit, your program worked perfectly fine.

Attachments

• Reterals Model Studio Error 3.png.jpg
    Reterals Model Studio Error 3.png.jpg
    741.4 KB · Views: 13
Level 28
Excuse me! I get this message everytime I try to Add WC3 Install Directory in Win11 64bit.
Previously on Win 10 64bit, your program worked perfectly fine.
The problem is obvious. It's related to your versions of RMS. I highly suggest getting the one from this thread (0.04.4j), because it assumes that your WC3 version is higher than 1.32.

It's related to your versions of RMS.
It is also possible to see the same error by using current day RMS with a certain range of CASC files (Warcraft III patch 1.30, 1.31, 1.32.X where X is a lower number from 2019). @KaiZen7th can you list what Warcraft 3 version you are using? If you need to have RMS compatible with Patch 1.31, you can either use an older RMS binary from back then or else recompile from source code with the magic flag set to interpret CASC as 1.30-1.31 format. The magic flag exists even to this day and the code is able to use that format instead, but my understanding is that Activision changed the CASC format but did not change its version label. So it is not easy to turn it back to the old mode.

Is it because my version of Warcraft III is 1.27?
The model merge function should work great on 1.27. I usually use "File -> Import" for that version.

For simple edits, you can also select part of a model and use CTRL+C and then open the other model and move the mouse into the 2D view and do CTRL+V and it will paste the copied model onto the position of the computer mouse.

The model merge function should work great on 1.27. I usually use "File -> Import" for that version.

For simple edits, you can also select part of a model and use CTRL+C and then open the other model and move the mouse into the 2D view and do CTRL+V and it will paste the copied model onto the position of the computer mouse.
If only there were a tutorial.

Maybe this?
I can't log in to this website because I don't have an accelerator. If you can open another post in the forum, make a tutorial with pictures and text descriptions, and connect it here, that's great. However, you don't have to worry about it. It's just my idea. Thank you for your advice.

Attachments

• Snipaste_2023-03-14_05-46-55.png
    Snipaste_2023-03-14_05-46-55.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 5
Level 10
Hi. This tool is pretty cool and I've been playing with it, making some unit's animations from scratch. So far I don't have any complaints, but I'd like to give you some suggestions:
  • It's cool we can change and re-arrenge all of the windows/tabs to our liking, but having an option where we can lock them would be nice. Sometimes I miss-click and all my interface changes abruptly.
  • Add some visible shortcuts would made the workflow more fluent. Nevermind I already found out the shortcuts of the ones I want to know.
  • It would be nice if pressing spacebar plays the animation (having any shortcut would suffice).
  • I think the program doesn't over-writte existing files? (Don't know if this is intended)
Of course those are suggestion, I don't know if these things I'm pointing out already have been solved, but it doesn't hurt to ask 😅😊

I don't know if these things I'm pointing out already have been solved
There is a version of the software that was forked by other people and has a bunch of changes and features added, or so I'm told. I think there is a link to their fork, the Twilac version, in the Discord server available from my Hive signature, or here:

I think the Discord might have a newer version than the GitHub releases page, though.

is there any chance that you could implement seeing them inside RMS?
1679861830794.png

No. There is no chance that I will do that for you.

Edit:
@Mr Ogre man
not having a 1.32 copy is a pain in the ass when I try to check out spells.
Also, please be advised that Patch 1.32 PKB emitters are not supported on Patch 1.33+, so even if you obtain a backup of Patch 1.32.X that can preview PKB emitters, those emitters will not function on the Patch 1.33+ game client(s). There are two emitter versions, each one corresponding to their game version, and they are neither forwards nor backwards compatible. This is different from the MDX1000/MDX1100 split, wherein the Patch 1.33+ game versions can still load MDX1000 models and are backwards compatible.

Last edited:
Stupid popcornFX.
To be fair, I do not think that they believe you would modify their effects from any external program. So from their standpoint, a game developer is going to create the particles using the official PopcornFX editor from their website. That editor, I assume, has fully functioning preview capabilities of every kind. Although I have almost never used it other than for maybe 5 minutes to just see that it existed.

To be fair, I do not think that they believe you would modify their effects from any external program. So from their standpoint, a game developer is going to create the particles using the official PopcornFX editor from their website. That editor, I assume, has fully functioning preview capabilities of every kind. Although I have almost never used it other than for maybe 5 minutes to just see that it existed.
Yeah, but the fact that they don't show up in WE is a massive kick in the nuts.

Level 25
When opening a model via the data browser, it appears, disappears and appears again multiple times until shown properly. Also this model's texture at its weapon is not shown transparently and the black portraits background is shown by default: Naga Royal Guard Maybe only show it when using the protrait preview mode. I don't know where it is for models from a custom map which I added as MPQ source. For standard models there is a menu entry "Open Portrait".

Last edited:
Level 8
Can someone tell me why after saving model, he losing Death anim? cant understand why its happens. Just tried do simple edit some spell effect changing its height.

Its my first time. I apologize in advance for my stupidity.