• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

(Resolved) Frost Immolation Model (For Reforged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could request a frost (blue/white) version of Immolation for a map I am making for a friend of mine in Reforged.

She requested the Remorseless Winter spell from WoW as a wc3 spell and I figured this would be the easiest way to do it but I can't really model all that well.

If a kind soul would be willing to do this I believe it would have to be done with both the Immolation Target and Immolation special effects to make it the most authentic and I would greatly appreciate it! I just want to help her realize how great Warcraft III can really be!

As far as I am aware, the way to change the color of a spell effect on Reforged is not known. While it may be possible, there is not any technology in the world to do it. It is like a protected Warcraft 3 map, basically. There is a technology to make the original but there is not a technology to modify it. You can only make a new one.

The program code to display Reforged particles is rented from Popcorn FX and you can read a thread about it on their website here:
Editing Color Information in PKB (baked files?) - PopcornFX answers

Suffice it to say that people who know about the popcorn system say that the only way to edit it is to get the source files for the Popcorn Particle Editor direct from Blizzard and then edit the source files and compile them back into game data.

But Blizzard is not giving those files away. So, they are not allowing you to change the color at this time. I suggest making a custom Non-Reforged style model using the known technologies from this website that looks roughly the same, and then use that model because Reforged allows loading of the old format intermixed with the new format.

Yea so my point is that PopcornFX probably doesnt want anybody to talk about how to reverse engineer their data and probably made it complicated to do so on purpose. Or maybe not, but it feels that way.

Yes, probably in many, many years if Reforged is very popular and people care a lot someone will learn to reverse engineer popcorn data in some way. I still think it's very similar.

I am simply not aware of someone trying that hard yet. Maybe they have and I simply did not know about it. It would be great if they posted here.

Level 6
As far as I am aware, the way to change the color of a spell effect on Reforged is not known. While it may be possible, there is not any technology in the world to do it. It is like a protected Warcraft 3 map, basically. There is a technology to make the original but there is not a technology to modify it. You can only make a new one.

The program code to display Reforged particles is rented from Popcorn FX and you can read a thread about it on their website here:
Editing Color Information in PKB (baked files?) - PopcornFX answers

Suffice it to say that people who know about the popcorn system say that the only way to edit it is to get the source files for the Popcorn Particle Editor direct from Blizzard and then edit the source files and compile them back into game data.

But Blizzard is not giving those files away. So, they are not allowing you to change the color at this time. I suggest making a custom Non-Reforged style model using the known technologies from this website that looks roughly the same, and then use that model because Reforged allows loading of the old format intermixed with the new format.

Wow, I honestly had no idea that was the case, but thanks for the reply in letting me know, I greatly appreciate it.

Man I remember when Blizzard said they would release the tools they used for mapmakers to use, but just another thing they promised that never ended up happening since they just outsourced it to another company entirely. Honestly I keep trying to be hopeful with Reforged but it's almost like every day I find out something even more unfortunate about the whole thing. At least that explains why the model section for reforged it mostly unused. Such a bummer

Hey man, I have no idea if you're still interested in this, but i wrote a program to make this kind of blue immolation for you, and I used it to make a blue immolation as an example. Here you go!

1621663220848.png

Attachments

• Blue_Immolation_Reforged.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.