• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Replacing Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Greetings. I would want to know the importance and usage of the "Replace Units" option under the Advanced options in World Editor. I have read the Help online options under Help but still i just couldn't get it. I am curious on how helpful it may be because it may help me in my project if it solves a problem i have been trying to solve and did not know that this could be the answer.

Thanks in advanced for the help. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Level 20
Well... it "replaces" the unit, with the option to use some of the old unit values (mana/hp). Most prefer to use Metamorphosis, or Bear Form to change unit model and stats... Or Removing and Creating the unit they want in the exact place, without using "Replace".

Level 33
Replace unit doesn't create extra unit I assume ?

Unlike you hide the unit, and create a new unit at the same location, you have 2 units now

Well, creating units can be used for dummies casting spells etc

While replacing unit is best be used if it is use single-time only OR reversible transformation like Metamorphosis or Bear Form

Level 7
guys, he isn't talking about triggers...... he is talking about >> Advanced >> replace units.
found when looking at the map... he was pretty clear
"Replace Units" option under the Advanced options in World Editor.

anyway, it can be useful in reducing filesize(i think), by not creating a new entry

Level 4
Well... it "replaces" the unit, with the option to use some of the old unit values (mana/hp). Most prefer to use Metamorphosis, or Bear Form to change unit model and stats... Or Removing and Creating the unit they want in the exact place, without using "Replace".

So your telling me that the Old Unit Data and the New Unit Data have different values? But it seemed the same when i tried replacing a new unit with an old one.

So the value of the old unit data is like the values in the Roc World Editor? Is that it's use?

But how come in the old unit data the (For Example) Spell Breaker is there and same with the New Unit Data.

I still don't understand the usage of it. It's kind of confusing.

@Maker and Orcnet

I didn't get what you were trying to point out there. But @Maker, what does it have to do with units abilities? Does it change any values at all affect them at some bad way?

Thanks again for the help in advanced. Would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Level 4
guys, he isn't talking about triggers...... he is talking about >> Advanced >> replace units.
found when looking at the map... he was pretty clear

anyway, it can be useful in reducing filesize(i think), by not creating a new entry

Narogog got it right. That's exactly what i am talking about. You might be confused with something else.

they were talking about triggers. the replace unit function.

They are talking about triggers? Ok. I see. But it seems like they are talking about it exactly. Like Maker, Spartipilo and Orcnet.

Its just that i do not understand what they mean.

Level 8
well Replace Units pretty much acts like Replace Tiles. it helps you by quickly replacing any unit type (or unit type from a group of selected units) to another unit type so you don't need to select a unit, delete it, place another unit in its place, select another unit again, etc.

Level 4
Yeah, sorry, I missunderstud as Narogog said. Sorry.

Yeah sure thats alright. So do you still know anything about it cause i really would want to know the last options in World Editor that i do not know.

Thanks again in advanced for the help.

well Replace Units pretty much acts like Replace Tiles. it helps you by quickly replacing any unit type (or unit type from a group of selected units) to another unit type so you don't need to select a unit, delete it, place another unit in its place, select another unit again, etc.

I will try to understand that but i just don't know anything about the replace options so i will try to understand first. And maybe once i've understood what replace units does i might also understand how to use the other replace options because they might have the same usage or way how it works.

Thanks in advanced for the help. I would really appreciate it.

Ok. So let me understand this. So what you are trying to tell me is that if for example there is a footman then you replace it with the bandit it will be replaced and there will be no more footman in the human race? Is that it? I don't think i'm following. It is kind of confusing...

Last edited:
Level 17
That command quickly replace unit in the terrain editor with another unit you've selected
For example, you got 2000 peasant in the terrain editor, and you wanted to change that to 2000 grunt, using the replace unit under advanced option, make it easier to replace all the peasant

Level 4
That command quickly replace unit in the terrain editor with another unit you've selected
For example, you got 2000 peasant in the terrain editor, and you wanted to change that to 2000 grunt, using the replace unit under advanced option, make it easier to replace all the peasant

rsynt11. I clearly understood that. Hold on for just a while. I'm just goin' to try out what you just said. If this is the usage, it would be somewhat useful. For my part.

For awhile, I'll just check in World Editor what you've just said.

Level 4
@rsynt11. I tried out what you replied, and finally it is correct! Damn! I finally get to know the one thing in the World Editor i don't get yet. And it was pretty much worth it knowing this. Ah, i am happy and relieved. Thank you rsynt11. I finally know now it's usage and if it can be useful or not in my projects.

Thanks again for the help.

I still have 1 more question though. There are 2 options below in the Replace unit options
which you can check and uncheck.

Those 2 options were as i remember and checked, Swap both unit types and Selected Units only.

So my question is what does those 2 options do? Does it affect anything in the replacing process?

Last edited:
Level 17
  • swap both unit types - this is make the umm..
    how to say this?, let's see the example i provide:
    eg:
    you have 2500 Grunt, and 96400 footman, and you want to switch them to --> 2500 footman and 96400 grunt
    the "Swap both unit types" will do the work for you
  • selected unit only - this option enable you to only affect some unit, EG:
    you have 4000 footman, and you want to replace 500 footmans with 500 wolf rider, then you just need to select 500 footman, then check this box,and he'll do the job for you

Level 4
There i edited my post. I checked World Editor again and now i remember. It was Selected Units only. Ok now let me see.

@rysnt11. So the Swap both unit types option replaces both units instead of one as i understand what
you've said there. I understood the example but i'm just a little confused at the moment.

Ok so is it like this, for example when that option is not checked i want to replace the footman with the bandit. Only the footman will get replaced by the bandit right? Please correct me if i am wrong.

Then when you check the box Swap both unit types only, my footman and bandits will both be replaced like for example 5 footman and 5 bandits replace that with the swap both unit types options and then ok. The footmans position will be in the bandits position in the map and the bandits position will be in the footmans position in the map.

Is that it? Is this correct?

Last edited:
Level 8
yep. that's pretty much what the Swap Both Unit Types do. if in the example between footman and bandits, every footman will be replaced by a bandit, and every bandit will be replaced by a footman.

Selected Units Only will cause you to change only your selected units (the one with the green circle below it). if example you have 10 footmen, and you selected only 3 footmen, only those 3 footmen will be replaced.

Level 4
[*]selected unit only - this option enable you to only affect some unit, EG:
you have 4000 footman, and you want to replace 500 footmans with 500 wolf rider, then you just need to select 500 footman, then check this box,and he'll do the job for you

yep. that's pretty much what the Swap Both Unit Types do. if in the example between footman and bandits, every footman will be replaced by a bandit, and every bandit will be replaced by a footman.

Selected Units Only will cause you to change only your selected units (the one with the green circle below it). if example you have 10 footmen, and you selected only 3 footmen, only those 3 footmen will be replaced.

@rysnt11 and ronojales, ah i see ok. Now i get. Thanks to ronojales further explanation. Thanks for helping me. I'm glad to know the use of this option and since it has the same usage with the other replace options, it makes it even better for me to know it's use. This options can be useful if i want to immediately replace anything quickly without having to delete then place again on World Editor.

It's a relief to know the information on the last thing in World Editor that i just could not get. Many thanks rysnt11 and ronojales.

Thanks for helping me. =)

Hail Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.