• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Remove/Disable Shift-Queue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Anyone know how to remove the ability to shift-queue orders? I can't find a disable/enable setting for it.

One solution that comes to mind is to detect when the Shift key is down and cause issued orders during this time to get interrupted/re-ordered with triggers, but that will cause all sorts of headaches.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
There's plenty of reasons to want to disable/enable just about anything in the game.

For example, I want to use the Shift key with an OSKey event, but as long as it also queues orders it will cause unwanted side effects.

I'll switch over to the Left Control key for now, but it's a shame because it's rather uncomfortable to use.

I imagine this issue exists for anyone that's working on an ARPG style game akin to Diablo. Shift-queuing is not a thing in those games.

Sure it's not a highly requested feature, but it is something that would be nice to have control over.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
If you want diablo controls, you dont need units selectable. So i dont see an issue with that.
Not following, unless you mean some workaround like having the player control a dummy unit which transfers it's orders over to the real hero. I can definitely use some workarounds like that but I was hoping for a cleaner solution.

Level 18
I do not see why one would want to do this.
Let me give you an example then. In Pyramid Escape there's a minigame where you need to follow a certain path, but you can exploit queueing orders so you don't have to memorize it.

Not following, unless you mean some workaround like having the player control a dummy unit which transfers it's orders over to the real hero. I can definitely use some workarounds like that but I was hoping for a cleaner solution.
I don't know exactly how the controls in your map will be, but honestly if it's very different from standard wc3, then I think trying to build upon that is the real workaround, and it'd be better to simply make your own system.
With all the new natives introduced in the latest patches you don't even need dummy units anymore, just can just use special effects + keyboard&mouse natives.

Why not use mouse natives for control instead? You dont need selection there.

I have already coded fully functional diablo-controls with right and left click actions (and allowing hold-button controls) including an MMO-UI. Its not rocket science and very possible now.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_081320_232839_001.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_081320_232839_001.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Why not use mouse natives for control instead? You dont need selection there.

I have already coded fully functional diablo-controls with right and left click actions (and allowing hold-button controls) including an MMO-UI. Its not rocket science and very possible now.
Does it run smoothly online? I feel like that stuff is unresponsive when compared to the standard controls.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Let me give you an example then. In Pyramid Escape there's a minigame where you need to follow a certain path, but you can exploit queueing orders so you don't have to memorize it.
And how is this an exploit? I mean you could just screenshot it and pull that up on a second display and...
Does it run smoothly online? I feel like that stuff in unresponsive when compared to the standard controls.
Standard WC3 controls are equally unresponsive. It is due to sync latency and the clunky unit movement.

Level 18
And how is this an exploit?
It gives you an unintended easy way to win the minigame. How it that not an exploit?

I mean you could just screenshot it and pull that up on a second display and...
The path is shown by a neutral unit walking with a head start, so screenshot won't work. And even if it did, exploit A existing doesn't mean it's okay for exploit B to also exist.

Level 18
To me that sounds like a poorly designed mini-game. Given WC3 is an RTS and has order queuing...
It wouldn't be poorly designed if there was an easy way to disable order queueing.

One could take away control while the minigame's solution is shown. Then people have to memorize.
That's basically just giving the neutral unit a head start of 1 minute instead of 10 seconds. Makes the minigame a lot harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.