• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reforming the System!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
So, upon Fladder's encouragement (and my own creeping feelings) I've decided we're going to reenact this group and the subject of the top ten list, but this time around I want a more fluent, discussion oriented and active-like system.
- So we're ditching the numeric judgement system.

Rather, from now on, we simply discuss and state our opinions on any new terrain added to this group for "judgement," basically we discuss and agree upon a picture's placement and value, and then when everyone's spoken their piece of mind I'll make a verdict based on those pieces.

Let's kick it!

Level 36
While I value your willingness to get this machinery going, this isn't how we go about it.

Basically, the job of adding the terrains nominated to this group and then inform the other jury members that it or they've been added has been placed on fladdermasken.
But I guess we're still waiting for Gilles to accept the invite to the group, it just happens he told me he won't be able to be active until September.

I guess we could use someone else "meanwhile" or maybe permanently, what say you guys to invite elredir to our humble Jury?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Pictures are up. Somehow two of mine managed to sneak in with the rest of them.

*tries not to look shifty*

Anyways, the system Keiji and I came up with was as follows:

1. Eliminations,
where we basically settle on which terrains to eliminate straight away (leaving 10 nominations).

2. Placements,
where we decide which terrain goes where, starting from the top and moving down the ladder.

3. Leave Keiji to handle all the dirty work that follows.

Level 14
It would probably be easiest to just leave a comment on the terrains that we think should be eliminated. So is that how we're gonna go about it?

I guess in the mean time I'll just do that and if I fucked up it can all be fixed later.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
No.

Though, NEWS JUST IN: A certain terrain moderator wants to include the public in this. I, being a man of the people, begrudgingly agreed. So we came to a compromise; we eliminate all the obvious pieces and let a public poll decide the rest (placing and all). I think it's fair in a way, and we could have Pharaoh_ put up a notice for it and make more people aware of our little terrain board.

So guys, thoughts on this?

Level 36
Well, apparently I'm a complete imbecile, or the option to specify how many votes you can make in a poll is... Rather impossible. We could still run this, though, just we'll either need to have each person vote for only one terrain, or each person able to vote for all.

Oh and for elredir: As fladder said, mostly no.
- Though if you dare eliminate my terrain,
I'd kick your rib-cage in for you to supply me
a damn good reason.

Ahem.

Level 11
I've had this idea for quite awhile,why don't we make a separate top 10,besides this one,something like the top 10 most popular terrains of the month.
Where people could nominate their own terrains ,or others ,that were made that month and after a week or so of nominations we could make a poll of those terrains where people vote which is their favorite one.

this could bring in new terrainers and motivate less experienced ones to get better,seeing as they have an easier chance at a spotlight.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Level 11
Maybe a month is too short a period,2-3 months could be better,but it should be on a regular basis.

Level 36
Well, that is basically how the current top ten list is supposed to work, though due to lack of activity it seems we will currently have to rely on older terrains too to be part of the list.
When I make the poll, I'll state it clearly what our intentions are and entice people to do terraining for that particular cause.
Now, let's do eliminations, remove the weeds as it were. I reckon we could keep it simplest if we all just state our list right here of the few terrains we'd not want to see on the public poll, so I'll go first:

- Megafyr's Lost City.
- L2Love's Citadel.
- L2Love's Bell Tower.
- Gilles' "White?"
- That wow doodad's terrain.
- 12061422025fcb19b4edbeb2cc.
- 1206240657c345b83992850cc5.
- Thedeathhunterxx' Endless World.

Disclaimer: Yeah, I'm not certain about the origin of some, so that's the cause of the weird naming, at least I know which ones I mean, which basically is all that matters.

For future reference, I'll want you, fladder, to do a slightly better job when uploading the terrains to this group, basically include the name of the owner and the name of the terrain in the description, if that's not too much of a hassle.

Also, I want Johannesr to join the Jury, any objections? (I probably won't heed them, but I can pretend to care.)

Level 11
Bring the new blood in!

Instead of a list i made a picture to ease the naming problem
h45q.png

The eliminated ones are covered.

Level 36
I guess you misunderstood, the point is to rule out the ones we absolutely don't want to see on the list, that doesn't limit you to only ten terrain any more, seeing as we're going to involve the public in deciding which ten terrains are going to be on the list.

Oh and about Oziris' terrain, I think we should give it a chance.

Level 36
I'd disagree to that, but then luckily that's not the point of the current discussion, so I won't have to fist fight you and break your fictional face, what we're at here is which terrains to include in the official poll, where the public will decide upon the top ten terrains.
- And at the very least, I say it qualifies to be qualified.

Anyway, I've contacted Pharaoh about sticking the poll to the notice-board, which would help out a lot, we might even get some new terrainers while we're at it. So now I'm just awaiting his response before I make the Poll. So, any last-minute quarrels should commence, or be omitted forever.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Poll is done. Kinda really not what I expected.

{space}

#1 Plains of Sand (elredir)
#2 Cave Ruins (Azurot)
#3 Castle (elredir)
#4 Entrance to Hell (elredir/Megafyr)
#5 Ion Storm (johannesr)
#6 Come to Me (yours truly)
#7 Co-Terrain (Keiji/yours truly)
#8 Shade (johannesr)
#9 Satyr (Azurot)
#10 Ballclops (yours truly)

The tied terrains are ballclops/satyr and Keijimasken's co/shade. We will have to make a ruling for those.

Level 36
Right, as flad said, there's some tied terrains.
- You can leave me to do my job, though.

1. Plains of sand: 38 (elredir)
2. Cave Terrain: 31 (azurot)
3. Castle Terrain: 30 (elredir)
4. Elredir co-terrains: 26 (elredir/megafyr)
5. Ion storm: 25 (johannesr)
6. Come to me: 21 (fladdermasken)
7/8. Keiji co-Terrain: 19 (keiji/fladdermasken)
8/7. Shade Terrain: 19 (johannesr)
9/10. Ballclops: 18 (fladdermasken)
10/10 Satyr Terrain: 18 (azurot)

So, here's a better overview of the scoring. I've single-handedly decided to give us, mostly because I'm equally surprised by the outcome as you chaps, more power than the poll voters.

And thus the idea is that every one of us can cast from 1-10 points on every terrain, that doesn't mean you are limited to only giving one terrain 10 points, nor does it mean you have to vote on all of em. I've also decided we are not to vote on our own terrains.

If anyone care, these are going to be my criteria for TP5:

10 – Legendary Terrain: This terrain will come to define this era of terraining.
9 – Extraordinary Terrain: This terrain is perfect.
8 – Awesome Terrain: This terrain might have its flaws, but fuck... I like it regardless.
7 – Nice Terrain: This terrain is pretty, but there’s a tad too many flaws for my liking.
6 – Good Terrain: This terrain has heart, but needs some real fixing up.
5 – Alright Terrain: This terrain really needs some fixing up.
4 – Poor Terrain: This terrain is lacking, in all regards.
3 – Bad Terrain: This terrain really just doesn’t look good.
2 – Horrible Terrain: It doesn’t even seem like a fuck has been given.
1 – Uhm... Terrain: Is this even a terrain?

If you feel like following that system. You could also completely disregard it and give 10 points to whatever terrain you want, I'll rearrange things so that only the ten remaining terrains are in the album of this thread and I'll remove all comments from them, so go leave you're votes there.

Next weekend I'll sum together all our votes and post the final result, if you didn't make it to vote, then tough luck. You'll bet a new chance around Christmas.
Oh and about the voting incidence with Azurot and whether or not anyone voted for more than 10 terrains in the official poll, considering it somehow turned into a non-public poll, I say fuck it all and stick with whatever points the terrains got, I'm going to do better on that front for the next poll, I swear!

Yes, I've decided we update this list twice a year, and I'm going to confine it to the vacations that suit me best. That'd be all, gents.

EDIT: I'm actually disregarding my system myself, seeing as I want to vote more in a way that affects the list the way I want it to be, more instead of giving votes that directly correlate with those criteria.
EDIT2: Apparently I can't remove comments, so fuck it, just write your votes like I do and then I'll count em next week(end).

Level 36
Since it seems like nobody else feel like casting their vote, I'll sum together those of us who did and consider them the final scores.

Here's the final list:

1. Ion storm
2. Castle Terrain
3. Ballclops
4. Keiji co-Terrain
5. Plains of sand
6. Elredir co-terrains
7. Cave Terrain
8. Come to me
9. Satyr Terrain
10. Shade Terrain

Obviously, some of them were tied, so I took the liberty of adding another virtual point here and there to fix that. Good work, gent, have a cigar.

Level 36
So, it's soon about time we kicked this machinery back into action, even though I dread all the work involved. >.> Considering last time was rather... Messy, in certain ways, I think we should move back to leaving the ultimate choices to us, the Jury members, and let the "community" have no other deciding hand in the matter than to nominate terrains.

I say we go with the system we devised (and derailed from) last time:

1. Eliminations,
where we basically settle on which terrains to eliminate straight away (leaving 10 nominations).

2. Placements,
where we decide which terrain goes where, starting from the top and moving down the ladder.

3. Leave Keiji to handle all the dirty work that follows.

Any objections?

2-P

2-P

Level 8
Sounds good, especially the third point.
So possible nominations are the current top10 + everything from the last few months?
And now we wait until people nominate stuff or what?

Level 36
Yeah, I'll make some sort of official statement in the nomination thread, soon-ish.
First I wanna see if you chaps agree to my opinion about how to go about it.

So possible nominations are the current top10 + everything from the last few months?

Yeah, no, not those. We want a completely fresh list.
And it's more like the past half year's worth of terrains, long as they've not been nominated previously.

And about point three, well, I am the only one able to do the dirty work.
- Unless we can magically procure famouspker and force him into doing it.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Sifting through the terrain board for decent terrains that weren't nominated before, I actually managed to find ten eligible (letting one or two less acceptable slip through) terrains for this. But I would be lying if I said I actually thought all of these were top ten material.

Chaso./Keiji co-terrain - [Click]
elredir's Lone Warrior - [Click]
Keiji's The Flow - [Click]
Azurot's TP#5 - [Click]
My own TP#5 - [Click]
Stryder's Tower - [Click]
Cuuuuubes - [Click]
Stryder's Abandoned - [Click]
Keiji's homecoming - [Click]
Stryder's Rough Tracks - [Click]

Level 36
Well, that is kind of the point, though.

The list IS supposed to be up-to-date in the sense that it'll show off the best terrains done within a certain time-frame, that's basically the point of a "top ten list." In that sense, obviously, not all terrains would always meet the same standards.

We could give it a month or two more, though, before we start accepting nominations.
In the hopes that someone's going to produce something worthwhile during that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.