• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reforged Beta Build 13680 Asset Preservation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was brought to my attention by the discord user IQUEEN that somewhere in a Reforged Beta Build last fall (we think it was Beta Build 13680) the Night Elf Archer was animated to be "upright standing" and then within a week a patch changed the Night Elf Archer to be hunched over.

I was originally asked to help find the Blizzard/LemonSky artists' original variation of the model that was upright standing (for use in custom maps). A friend gave to IQUEEN a model that was similar, but carefully analyzing the model shows that it was fanmade using animation transfer tools. It works fine for an archer that isn't hunchback, but it's not the artists' original high-quality work.

I saved hundreds of gigabytes of old Reforged builds but I have come to discover that I did not save any build between 13594 (when there were no Night Elves) and 13769 (when the Archer was already hunch-backed).

I have this image of how the model's pose should look if we can find it:
unknown.png

In case you encounter the fan-made version of the model (this is the one that we already had that Symphoneum gave to IQUEEN) you can tell it's different because it has this pose ported from Sylvanas :

upload_2020-9-22_22-40-11.png

Does anybody have a backup of this original Blizzard artwork!? Or is it lost to Planet Earth?

Level 2
Hey Retera,

Sorry to post on this thread, but we spoke a while ago on the official reforged forums, for instance regarding Furions Reign of Chaos model from the beta.
I would reply to the same thread, but am not allowed since I was the last person to do so and Blizzards forums are awesome like that.
I hope that it is okay that I post here since what I have to say is regarding the preservation of beta assets.

I have since we last spoke been through all the games models, and using beta model preview articles from wowhead, have not been able to find any glaring absences in the current models in the game (that is except for the succubus models you have already shared).
I did notice three models which have had their textures altered; the Archmage Hero, the Spellbreaker, and Archimonde.

All seem to have been alter to show more of their teams colour.

If you have the time to do so, I would certainly be interested in seeing the beta assets preserved (especially the Archmage).

Thank you for your time, and again sorry if I am posing in an inconvenient place.

Status
Not open for further replies.