• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Invisible Custom Units in Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I've tried dipping my toes in the editor again for the first time since Reforged released, and I've run into a couple of issues:
  • Any custom objects (units or buildings) won't load when I go to test the map. Units don't appear, nor does any custom building that can train them. Using imported models or WC3 models doesn't seem to make a difference. Editiing an existing building to train the unit doesn't work either, with the changes apparently not saving when I go to test them.
  • Imported models are sometimes working and sometimes not. I assume the importing process might have changed between WC3 and Reforged but I can't work out what's going wrong. For context I've tested two models (Human Archer Reforged) and (Green Chaos Blademaster). The blademaster won't appear in the editor at all, but the archer will. The blademaster is a DDS file but the archer is a an MDX. The archer still won't appear when I test teh map though.
I suspect both of these issues are interconnected, hence making one post. I couldn't find any info online to help, which implies I'm probably missing something really obvious, but for the life of me I can't work out what it might be.

Level 20
When you import assets you can change the 'file path' of the item in question. In most cases Models are not necessary to change, but for skins they almost certainly have to be in a specific location.

Your Green Chaos Blademaster, for instance, requires a path set to "units\demon\herochaosblademaster\herochaosblademaster_main_diffuse.dds"

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
To complete what @Razorclaw_X wrote with an image, so you'll know how to import in the future.
anima.png

As for the archer:
anima.png
How to import 'Human Archer Reforged' | HIVE
How to import 'Human Archer Portrait Reforged' | HIVE

Level 1
Thank you for the help guys. I'm still having the same problem though, meaning I'm probably just missing a step somewhere. To stick with the blademaster example:
  • I import the model file using the Imported Files tab in the Campaign Editor.
  • I go to the unit I want to use the model and open Art - Model File
  • I tick the Custom box and pase in the file path from the readme there.
  • I save and quit and then re-open the editor and the campaign and map files with the data in, and there's no change.
One thing I didn't say in my first post was that I've been working off a Campaign file, as I wanted the data to be saved between multiple maps. When I'm editing the different units I'm doing so in the Custom Data tab in the Campaign Editor. I'm assuming that's the correct thing to do, or do the models need importing into each individual map file instead/as well?

Sorry about all the questions. They're probably all very obvious when you're familiar with the editor, but I've not used it for years!

Edit: Didn't recall what I had been doing correctly. Changed it now.

Last edited:
Level 1
You have to change the path in the import manager. Then you select the imported model via the unit editor in that unit's model field.

Reforged doesn't support custom campaigns...
No, each map's object editor should inherit from the campaign's import manager.

Apologies, I double-checked and I was actually wrong in my post above. I was using the Import Manager in the Campaign Editor. I misremembered the steps I was taking when I wrote that post above, so I'll edit that post to reflect what I actually did in case anyone new stumbles onto the thread. Unfotunately I'm still not sure what the issue is with the imports.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Apologies, I double-checked and I was actually wrong in my post above. I was using the Import Manager in the Campaign Editor. I misremembered the steps I was taking when I wrote that post above, so I'll edit that post to reflect what I actually did in case anyone new stumbles onto the thread. Unfotunately I'm still not sure what the issue is with the imports.
Have you tried without the campaign editor, in a normal map's import manager?

So:
  1. import model in the manager, rename it so that it has the proper path; same with its textures
  2. save the map
  3. open the unit editor and choose the imported model as the unit's model
  4. save the map
  5. test map (with the unit that has the imported model placed on the map)

Level 1
T
Have you tried without the campaign editor, in a normal map's import manager?

So:
  1. import model in the manager, rename it so that it has the proper path; same with its textures
  2. save the map
  3. open the unit editor and choose the imported model as the unit's model
  4. save the map
  5. test map (with the unit that has the imported model placed on the map)
Tried in a new map without using the campaign editor at all. No changes. Attached a screenshot of the imports list, in case you spot can spot anything obviously wrong. I really appreciate all the help! If there's anything else I could screenshot that might help let me know and I'll get it uploaded.
import test screenshot.png
import test screenshot.png

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Attached a screenshot of the imports list, in case you spot can spot anything obviously wrong. I really appreciate all the help! If there's anything else I could screenshot that might help let me know and I'll get it uploaded.
Well, for starters, the Archer is 0kb so it wasn't imported properly.
And the paths should probably be just HumanArcher.mdx and HumanArcher_Portrait.mdx without the war3mapImported\ stuff.

Why are the assets considered SD instead of HD though?

Status
Not open for further replies.