• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW model import in reforged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Greetings,

I have been asked to recreate the War of Thorns (Burning of Teldrassil) for WC3 Reforged or SC2 as an RTS campaign.

Although it's possible to import custom models (with gear attachments) in SC2, it's very time consuming, and the SC2 editor in general is a nightmare to work with.

Importing character models in WC3 is either not possible or extremely complex.

Do we know if importing WoW models will be easier in Reforged or should I proceed with this project on the SC2 Galaxy editor?

Coding, triggers, etc (general programming) has always been the easy part for me, but the asset conversions/imports in both World Editor and Galaxy are always horrendous.

Actually it's not even possible to import WoW models into SC2 nowadays since there is no modern .m3 export plugin/tool for 3ds max.

It appears Reforged is my only hope

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
Blizzard says:

"
The model editors Blizzard uses to make the new models will be available with the new World Editor[4][8]
  • There will be tutorials to these new tools[4] and guides to make the custom models look the same as the Blizzard ones"

[Compilation] ALL we know so far![Compilation] ALL we know so far!

However that doesn't imply the wc3 engine can handle weapon and gear attachments like the SoP operators in sc2 galaxy.

Guess we;ll find out!

If it possible, I'll be the first person to make in-game engine (for everyone) via triggers that allows the modder to put any weapon/armor/mount on any humanoid model.

The m3 plugin may be old from 2015 but it still works - you just have to remake the material layers from blank scratch since the plugin doesnt save that part.

But you can just use the cut scene editor to take a peek at how the material layers should be - to help reverse engineer them.

Wow models are a bit hard but they are a good place to start learning

Level 1
The m3 plugin may be old from 2015 but it still works - you just have to remake the material layers from blank scratch since the plugin doesnt save that part.

But you can just use the cut scene editor to take a peek at how the material layers should be - to help reverse engineer them.

Wow models are a bit hard but they are a good place to start learning

Can a modern 2019 (BFA) model be ripped, or only pre WoD (2015) models? Legion/BFA use fdx.

Old WoW models viewer had direct .m3 export which made the process very easy years ago.

ahh interesting, I wish it was still 1 button click. that'd sure be nice.

im currently doing ashara, the giant naga boss lady, she wasn't to be revealed yet because I havent got her done, took a break from wow models.

theoretically yes you should be able to do bfa models, as long as they export in the first place, for example I really wanted to start doing the outland sand worms, from burning crusade, but they don't export they just crash the wow viewer. not sure how to fix that yet, im still working on it.

a few things don't export at all, which is ok.

so its a bit harder now, ive figured it out, its long and tedious but still worth it in my opinion.

Level 1
ahh interesting, I wish it was still 1 button click. that'd sure be nice.

im currently doing ashara, the giant naga boss lady, she wasn't to be revealed yet because I havent got her done, took a break from wow models.

theoretically yes you should be able to do bfa models, as long as they export in the first place, for example I really wanted to start doing the outland sand worms, from burning crusade, but they don't export they just crash the wow viewer. not sure how to fix that yet, im still working on it.

a few things don't export at all, which is ok.

so its a bit harder now, ive figured it out, its long and tedious but still worth it in my opinion.

The models I'm seeking in particular at the Night Warrior (generic) and Tyrande Night Warriors models for the War of Thorns RTS remake.

Having not ripped a WoW model in years, I was shocked when there was no .m3 export option.

The sad part is how much scripting and general map (terrain) design I had done in SC2 Galaxy editor before I went for the model rips. I sunk about 7-8 hours into a dead map.

As you know SC2 does handle gear attachments very well, once everything is properly imported.

I'm hoping Reforged allows for the same gear attachment ease and in general a streamlined ripping process of Blizzard assets.

Before BFA 8.1, you could easily do it with a program called jm2converter. But after the 8.1 patch Blizzard must have made some modifications to the m2 files since the jm2 progrm no longer works after that patch.

No, it works,

and importing models are not complex for real except for complex character models but since me,henry and yonatands from warcraftunderground is around they are all ripped by us too, so last need you need to worry is WoW models in WC3 if jm2converter some how fails I'll find a new way soon for sure but it will probably will not break in the near future, you can find every creature\character model from WoW here Home | Warcraft Underground

Level 11
No, it works,

Have you tried it? Ever since patch 8.1 happened, this happens when I try to use jm2converter:

Untitled.png

Didn't Blizzard promise a 3D plugin for Maya for model editors to use? Assuming that hasnt been cancelled it might be better to wait and see what that brings, it's supposed to make the process of importing models into editing programs easier.

I have already talked with employees about it , it will not contain an importer.

Level 11
Huh? What "complex" do you find about importing WoW character models? Warcraftunderground has provided quite some tutorials on how to export, convert, gear up and import wow character models with any gear you like. And it is easy enough, that a person with no prior knowledge in any of this could do it in like 30 mins.

"Ripping" an already made model isn't complex. Creating one of your own... That's another talk.

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
Didn't Blizzard promise a 3D plugin for Maya for model editors to use? Assuming that hasnt been cancelled it might be better to wait and see what that brings, it's supposed to make the process of importing models into editing programs easier.

The art tools may still be coming, but we have no information when.

Also if it's anything like the other tools they provide, they're gonna be using a traditional art pipeline without the ability to import existing models to edit. Basically an exporter for brand new custom models made in a 3D program/package.

A 3rd party importer/exporter like this one is more flexible in having the ability to import any model that exists in the game to modify and re-export. With official tools, we don't have access to the original 3D program files of all their units. All the units in the game are compressed .mdl/mdx files that are not accessible through a regular 3D program or through the official tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.