• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

redscores' Terrain Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Are you bumping for a new terrain? If you are just bumping for the sake of bumping, please refrain until you actually add something to the thread. If you notice, most of us let our galleries die, unless we add terrain, or some noob comes and tells us how great we are.

Level 34
Pretty good, the camps lighting is a bit off. The campfire should give off glow all around it, but it seems to be off to one side.

The background is awesome!

Level 34
The barrens tree would look good here to e honest. Although there are also more autumn trees in the UTM. Looks for the more realistic ones.

Level 19
32111d1214951135-redscores-terrain-showcase-orcish-outpost.jpg

A resemblance to an in-game tower, I suppose. The torches are uneven and the tile art in the background is horrendous, and the only nice thing to say is that you used good custom tree models to make the back wind look a little better then laughable. There are palisades sticking out of rocks, and the overall look of the palisades is a total wooden clusterfuck. An invader could throw rocks at them, as they provide no realistic defense.

32177d1217065532-redscores-terrain-showcase-graveyard.jpg

Wow! I love the purple screen with in-game model clutter. What’s really impressive is the box shape of the rock path with almost no realistic imperfection! Great job! I especially love the fog model clutter in the background, which lights up the clutter of trees very nicely!

32550d1215367499-redscores-terrain-showcase-sunriseshore.jpg

I love how there is a cluster of burned wheat on the jungle grass! It is so believable, it’s like I’m actually there! And the tropical ferns go well with the forest trees and the randomly placed sea shell! And the geology course I took in high school seems to have made my eyes a little keen to your insy-winsy mistake of putting jungle spires by lordaron rocks… which looks horrible in-game and in this screen.

34048d1217065391-redscores-terrain-showcase-apocalypse.jpg

For such a cocky guy, your terrain art is truly… the worst I’ve ever seen. You have patches of grass sticking out of burning houses, trees in pathways, and a cluster of imported doodad shrubs. It’s just a mass of in-game models.

34049d1217065391-redscores-terrain-showcase-autumn.jpg

OMG! You discovered how to change the texture on the tree models! Good texture to whoever made it, that’s the only good thing about this pic.

34050d1217065391-redscores-terrain-showcase-cave.jpg

I assume this is some kind of underground smurf world… blackish dead shrubs by purple trees, rocks, and underground spires, not to mention the crystals make this just a cluster of doodads that turned out to be viewable. There is almost no tile variation, and purple, teal, and grey don’t go well together in a cave-like scenario. Or this could be outdoors, I can’t tell.

34051d1217065391-redscores-terrain-showcase-firstterrain0.2.jpg

This is shameful. I can still see your editing square. It’s a lot of outstretched custom models and lots of bad tileart. Wonderful.

34052d1217065532-redscores-terrain-showcase-flowerfield.jpg

A bad attempt at a realistic field gone wrong :D There is no tile variation. None. It’s just brush after brush after brush after brush after brush after flower after flower after flower after flower after tree clutter. Thanks for showing.

34053d1217065532-redscores-terrain-showcase-ghostshiponisland.jpg

This is a joke right? A completely flat map, with a completely flat atmosphere, three trees, a clusterfuck of fog, and a giant in-game wrecked ship model. It’s not even floating, the ship is just on the ground, kind of sailing through foggish ground.

34054d1217065532-redscores-terrain-showcase-mysthjungle.jpg

This is not a magical forest, this is just some green blobs, some imported ferns and trees, a flat map, and an imported archway model. I loathe it.

34055d1217065532-redscores-terrain-showcase-oasisanddesert.jpg

Thus far, this is the only one I have actually liked. The background is not good though, the spires don’t fit in well with the rest of the landscape… you haven’t really impressed me at all.

34056d1217065604-redscores-terrain-showcase-peacefulforest.jpg

You obviously don’t know how to place tiles on the ashenvale tileset.

The trick to Ashenvale terraining (incase you didn't know) - Surround any patch of dirt or rough dirt with grassy dirt if connected to a grassy terrain, same goes with leaves and thick grass. Though leaves should be surrounded by thick grass, and usually covered in (alive or dead) trees.

34057d1217065604-redscores-terrain-showcase-rainyforest.jpg

Relatively flat, the background is m’kay. The orange shrubs are horrible, don’t use them, especially not in… the ashenvale tileset… which you don’t use well…

34058d1217065604-redscores-terrain-showcase-sacredsummon.jpg

This one made me laugh, there’s a giant candle! Lol! Who could have made that – who would’ve bothered to make that? You’re using a demonic tileset to pull of a jungle ritual, learn from Rao Dao Zao, his jungle terrains are superb, your attempts at them are laughable.

34059d1217065604-redscores-terrain-showcase-swamp.jpg

Again, bad tileart, and those random green orbs that make me pity you. The custom trees look stretched and terrible, remove them, fix them, do something. In fact, scrap this one.

34120d1217150563-redscores-terrain-showcase-glaciermountain.jpg

What is this? You use the same statue in at least 25% of all of your pics. It’s not good at al, there are some waterfalls, and some Eskimo ice cubes, and a bunch of slanted cave rocks on snow. Not to mention the random bubbles *oh snap*.

34175d1217274000-redscores-terrain-showcase-thefirelands.jpg

I see a giant selection cicle. Lol. Shameful. The tile art is horrible, the height variation is terrible, and look! The statue again! Wow! A couple of raised fire doodads to coverup the poor use of in-game and custom doodads are shameful, as well.[

34999d1218147792-redscores-terrain-showcase-winterland.jpg

It’s just a mass of doodads in the background, and some poor tileart near the front. Illimpressive use of the Ultimate Terraining Map.

35051d1218193043-redscores-terrain-showcase-autumnlandscape.jpg

Horrible proportions on these ones. The water fall looks about the size of a tree. There is almost no tile variation in the terrain except for near the back, where there is an odd line of trees.

35366d1218538955-redscores-terrain-showcase-forest.jpg

Ugh… seeing all of these bad terrains is boring me. There are trees touching old marble in a modern setting, with some weird stone fences and… why would any mayor decide to put in some marble by the shoreline anyway? Do they want to make beavers slip or something?

35367d1218538955-redscores-terrain-showcase-forestwithcathedral.jpg

This one has no height variation at all. But, that said, I still like the top-view RPG look.

35368d1218538955-redscores-terrain-showcase-smallcity.jpg

Lol… just… wow. Building in road? That’s a little messed up, no parking, no signs, no cars, just road and skyscrapers. In the middle of a forest.

35369d1218538955-redscores-terrain-showcase-subway.jpg

I’m assuming this is some Sci-Fi Russia? Why are there torches in a train station? And why is there marble in a train station? You could’ve used medieval trains, or steampunk, or magical ones… or anything but the one you used.

35370d1218538955-redscores-terrain-showcase-villahellsing.jpg

The tile art by the road is fugly, it looks square and unrealistic, like something from the primitive ‘Flight Simulator’ games.

And now I have reviewed all of your terrains.

I’m illimpressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
Well, your terrains look even more horrible, you know, i think you are just revenging, because, 90% of the people who visited my showcase said that it is great work, you have maybe just a bad feeling for art, not my problem, but when even Gilles says that they look good... haha, i give a shit on your comment, and your usage of big pictures nearly forces me to report that post as spam.

And those last 5 terrains are for a RPG in the modern time, and not fucking russia, and half of your said can be used to cut your terrains in 1000 tiles... so bye.

Level 34
I took always criticsm, but not really criticsm which no one ever before told, and which is in my eyes not really good if it comes from someone with a shitty showcase, who is not qualified enough to tell me what I did wrong...
Regardless of his qualifications (and I don't agree with you there), he stated his opinion and you just have to take it like a man. He was borderline flaming, but I decided to let it go, and you need to too.

Level 18
it lookz good, but you can make better mounatins,,..

dont underestimate the Raise terrain command , In the end, it ends up making the best mounatins..

cliffs though is another story... i have NO good way of making cliffs except for platuing a high mounatin, and then dressing up the sides with a few rocks and grass and stuff : /

Level 28
Looks very good.

I really liked the tile variation in the foreground, but the background could use more work.

I mean, you can still see that there is no map beyond the giant sized rocks. It would look better if you worked more in creating the feel of depth. I also really liked the statue in the middle, it is a very good detail. I don't think that the rock spam was that bad, it looked good.

And more vegetation in the area behind the gate is encouraged! :D

Nice job.

Level 7
Redscores, your terrain exhibition really amazed me. It's truly incredible, and I guess it's all those years of experience that lead to your mastepieces, eh?

Great job!!! You definitely deserve +rep for ll your hard work. Keep going, you have a special talent for this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.