• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Recreating Oblivion in Wc3 - Is it possible?

Is it possible?

• No, it's not possible

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Yes, but only do the main storyline

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Yes, but only do the main story, and guilds

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Yes! Go all the way!

Votes: 25 59.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Could u do this. Place 4 really long rectangular regions across the sides of the map and when u stepped on one it would load the next map associated with the region-trigger?

That would be cool if u could do that while playing online but im pretty sure u cant. I know warsoc is workin on that though.

Level 15
Sorry about not posting recently, school's been crazy.

Welcome aboard Lord Hunter! We can really use a great cinematic creator and you seem to be just that!

Ok, so 1 480×480 map, time for more importing, yay!

If we were to scale everything down to 25% it would make the tiles appear stretched, I think scaling everything down to 60% will be good.

I'm glad that all of you are looking forward to this project, I think we'll be able to begin working on terrain by the end of this week.

~Deathcom3s

Level 10
I don't think you could do oblivion for WC, for a few uncomfortable reasons

The first, war3 simply can't handle that kind of detail, even if you could find some1 (or some way) to get every single highly defined unit model (even if you scale down the detail, still a hell of a feat)

The second, oblivion as a game was kinda "Ok", mostly great for it's high detail an awesome RPG features, as an online game for WCIII, it wouldn't be as good (maybe not awful, but worse)

The third, if you got all of these resources, time, skills, everything together and created this map (which is a ridiculous f*cking amount), there is still WoW, which is where alot of ppl who got bored of regular warcraft moved on to

My suggestion, make a normal wcIII rpg map, base it off of oblivion, and add alot of really cool (but do-able!!!) special features. The guilds would be pretty cool, and the quests could be fun with appropriately balanced items and stats

EDIT

I didn't read that you already got a high res map together, well if the systems don't lag, GO FOR IT!!!
I'd be interested in seeing the outcome of this :D

I have an ORPG i'm working on, single player that has over 20,000 dodads so far, it runs fine.

Level 12
Triggs

Oh, yeah the kid who made it had somewhere aroudn 20,000 as well

Although, it was probably his triggering was faulty (like .01 periodic triggers)

Level 7
stuff

you what would be neat? I did something like this on a small scale but on a very old rpg i discontinued from long ago, i made squares of regions across the map and made triggers so that it appeared that a storm or something was moving across the map.

I wanted to later put in like aura's inside these storms but never got around to it that would correspond with the type of storm or weather.

Level 7
Yea, i wanted it to like an AI where it would just randomly bounce around across the map, like just randomly move and turn and stuff after going in a direction and once it hit regions on the borders of map just ricochet in some opposite direction or something.

I didnt get that far so i just triggered set paths of weather and made afew of them to appear alittle random. I used alot of cliffs on that map since it was my first rpg so I would have to redo alot of it to make it how I do terrain now.

Status
Not open for further replies.