• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Reaper of Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taken from Battle.net, OP

6DIHKAXFU4QK1376700753421.jpg
Diablo® III: Reaper of Souls™ Revealed

"Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all…"
A presence more sinister than any demon hangs over Sanctuary….
It watched from the shadows as a hero of nephalem lineage struck down Diablo, the Prime Evil, and trapped the demon lord within the Black Soulstone.
It waited in silence as the mortal armies of Sanctuary crushed the leaderless remnants of the Burning Hells and scattered them into the stinging winds of Kehjistan.

Now, as hope springs anew, its long vigil has ended.
Shrouded in mystery and imbued with a power as ancient as the universe itself, it comes to the war-torn world of Sanctuary. It cannot be stopped. There is no escape.

In its wake, only death will remain.

The next chapter in Sanctuary's epic saga has been unveiled. Prepare to take on Death itself in Diablo III's upcoming expansion set: Reaper of Souls.
In Reaper of Souls, players will explore haunting new environments and face down fearsome new enemies within and beyond the world of Sanctuary as they seek to unlock the mysteries of Malthael, the Angel of Death.

Stalwart adventurers can choose to continue their journey as one of five existing heroes—the Barbarian, Demon Hunter, Monk, Witch Doctor, or Wizard—or adopt the mantle of a new class: the Crusader, a fierce melee warrior whose command of the battlefield is matched only by his unwavering conviction.

PJHNI7BN91IU1376711346463.jpg

Advance through additional levels of supremacy, mastering bold new powers of raw, demon-slaying potential along the way. Customize your strengths with an improved Paragon system. Battle your way through newly randomized 3D maps and epic new quests in Act V. And test your mettle in all-new game modes—including Loot Runs and Nephalem Trials—designed to provide players with a highly replayable (and highly rewarding) end-game experience.

For more information, check out the official press release and be sure to visit the new Diablo III: Reaper of Souls web page for feature details, screenshots, concept art, gameplay teaser trailer, and more.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
He was meant to have gone mad with time. At first he was the Angel of Wisdom and head of the council. However when the World Stone was stolen from High Heaven and he could not find it he left to wonder the void looking for answers. Eventually the Council found it was on Sanctuary but by that time he had disappeared never to be seen again. That was until the Diablo III expansion where he came for the soul stone.

Him becoming Death is meant to be his solution to the madness that claimed him at his inability to find where the World Stone was. As Angel of Knowledge he should have absolute knowledge or everything so the very fact that something could not be explained broke him.

What is worse is it would not be beyond Imperius to side with him even though he is Death.

Level 16
Its going to take an awful lot from this expansion to get me to buy this. The only change they seem to be making is introducing a "darker" atmosphere. Whether they do this to act 5 or the whole game and whether they will be successful with it is unknown. They also mentioned more "customisation". But I have seen no evidence of any major customisation implementation.

New classes, etc. will not fix the broken game for me. Improved Paragon levels, new level 70 cap? They really need to stop applying band aids to the game and get to the roots of the problem. The roots which sprouted the game that lost the franchise millions of fans including myself and left thousands ranting on forums, and videos.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
They also mentioned more "customisation". But I have seen no evidence of any major customisation implementation.
You have the Paragon skill point system. You can allocate points into a variety of attributes based on what you need. Of course you can reset it but not at any time (like skills).

You can also freely transform the looks of your rare and legendary gear into the looks of any other rare or legendary item. This means you have full control over the appearance of your character, from looking like a beggar to some knight from the future.

You also have new account bound gear systems from using the Mystic which let you boost your items in ways you cannot buy directly.

Lastly they are adding improved legendaries. This is not the current legendaries with more stats but more unique stats. An example could be a sword for the DH that gives you some skills free of hatred. The idea is they want each legendary to open a certain build, as their trials with the 300th spear were successful.

They really need to stop applying band aids to the game and get to the roots of the problem. The roots which sprouted the game that lost the franchise millions of fans including myself and left thousands ranting on forums, and videos.
Actually millions of fans liked the game, only thousands disliked it. The rest that stopped playing are the standard "play now, stop tomorrow" gamer base that plays all games. The forums represent 95% of the complaints but only 0.05% of the player base, so are not a good estimation of how good a game truly is.

Fact remains that people left Diablo III for both Torchlight and Path of Exile just to come back to it in a few weeks or a month. You cannot deny Diablo III was a good game.

Level 1
Very amazing game!

Some peoples even compares this wonderful game with anothers.

Diablo III is the best, is unic, and have not comparation!

Level 37
I hope they get rid of the dominance of critical hit damage modifier. And it seems they are, Increasing base damage but giving the new weapons lesser chd values.

It just feels silly that non critical hits do very little damage, and then criticals do ~4 times as much damage.

Level 16
Well Reading doctors post, I'm not going to argue. I've already had a long consversation over Diablo 3 before and not keen on another. Except...

Actually millions of fans liked the game, only thousands disliked it. The rest that stopped playing are the standard "play now, stop tomorrow" gamer base that plays all games. The forums represent 95% of the complaints but only 0.05% of the player base, so are not a good estimation of how good a game truly is.

A lot of truth in this statement. Except if you look at comparisons between Diablo 3 customer ratings and other games, youll find a massive difference. D3 was a failure.

Example: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

Additionally, I cannot find anybody who played Diablo 3 that I know that enjoyed the game expect one of my cousins. Let me tell you my 3 brothers, 3 cousins, and several of everybody's friends played and disliked the game. Oh yeah, and one of my friends is into games too. He bought D3 and encouraged me to play through with him again. I denied haha. After a week of playing it, he was completely dissatisfied.

You cannot deny Diablo III was a good game.

I think you gave me cancer. This statement made me vomit.

Level 17
A little bit a lack of logic or maybe unexplained meaning seeing an Angel being also an Undead.
I have not seen any confirmation of Malthael being dead. He is the Angel of Death, and so his powers have somehow (perhaps in his wanderings in Pandemonium) altered to fit this. If you think that he is undead because the sword went through him, it is because the sword cannot harm something with righteous intent. Thus, whatever Malthael is planning (popular opinion believes that he is pursuing the end of all demonkind, which translates to all beings with demon blood in them), is deemed righteous by the blade.

Personally, I am keen to play because of Malthael. I am eager to see where Blizzard takes the Angiris Council, with Imperius transforming from Valor to "Wrath" and the alleged demise of Auriel and Ithareal.

Level 18
Gotta love Polygon's Review and Score:

Polygon
May 24, 2012
Score: 100
Games this thoughtfully crafted don't happen very often, and the care that Blizzard has taken with Diablo 3 shows in every facet of its design and execution. It might not be perfect, but after 45 hours, I'm not sure where it missteps, and after 45 hours, I feel like I've only scratched the surface of what it has to offer. Diablo 3 is almost evil in how high a bar it's set for every PC action RPG to follow, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that bar remain for a very long time.

THEN WHY DO YOU GIVE A GAME A 100 SCORE IF IT'S NOT PERFECT.

Level 17
I don't care, D3 sucked and they are still keeping the auction house ergo it is not getting any better.
Apart from that there isn't much other to look forward to except for Blizzard's story telling and narrative that will either give people the giggles or cancer.
But following HOTS there I'm pretty sure there will be no giggles about the story, just lots of cancer.
Better to just get path of exile if you are hungry for ARPG.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Except if you look at comparisons between Diablo 3 customer ratings and other games, youll find a massive difference. D3 was a failure.
Too bad the only people who bother doing customer ratings are the trolls who disliked Diablo III and have nothing better to do than write bad reviews. All people who liked it would much rather spend an extra 30 minutes playing than 30 minutes writing a review to praise it that everyone knows no one takes seriously because only trolls write them anyway.

Check out the map ratings in StarCraft II to see what I mean. A lot of them are completely unfair and give 1 star ratings because they lose or did not win enough.

Yes, that proves me completely write. Notice how there are less than 10,000 user reviews in total. This is not an accurate sample of the > 6 million people who brought and played Diablo III. It is like going to a country, asking 10 people if they like video games and then using them to base your opinion on if everyone in a country does or does not play video games.

I am pretty sure if Blizzard forced everyone who has played >100 hours to fill in a review in-game it would be mostly positive reviews. Go into any Diablo III chat room and ask if people like the game, 99% of the time you will have at least 4 people saying they love it (the rest seem to be afk or illiterate and never write).

I think you gave me cancer. This statement made me vomit.
Good. You cannot deny Diablo III was a good game.

I don't care, D3 sucked and they are still keeping the auction house ergo it is not getting any better.
Obviously they are keeping the auction house. Just because you want the world to stay in the Dark Ages does not mean everyone else does. I love the Auction House as it makes selling my loot easy and safe. In Diablo II selling anything was a multi-hour process during which 7 people would try and scam you. It is obvious that pure self-found is completely impossible for some people as they do not have the luck to have a High-Rune drop ever during their play period (yes I did not get a single useful one in Diablo II and I played for many ladder seasons).

Better to just get path of exile if you are hungry for ARPG.
Many Diablo III players did just to find themselves writing how boring the game was in reviews and on their forums and return to Diablo III, being all apologetic.

Level 17
Obviously they are keeping the auction house. Just because you want the world to stay in the Dark Ages does not mean everyone else does. I love the Auction House as it makes selling my loot easy and safe. In Diablo II selling anything was a multi-hour process during which 7 people would try and scam you. It is obvious that pure self-found is completely impossible for some people as they do not have the luck to have a High-Rune drop ever during their play period (yes I did not get a single useful one in Diablo II and I played for many ladder seasons).

I do not want to stay in dark ages, I want to stay in ages where gaming was for enjoyment and intrinsic rewards.
Not for farming virtual items to sell afterwards.

You know, buying loot kind of defeats the purpose of loot existing at all.
D3 is like a fishing trip to an empty pond where you throw your hook in for a couple of hours only to buy a dead fish off a nearby stand afterwards.
You get a dead fish, but you didn't go there for that. You went there to FISH and GET a fish as an intrinsic reward.
But how can you have fun doing that knowing there is no fish to be had ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You know, buying loot kind of defeats the purpose of loot existing at all.
D3 is like a fishing trip to an empty pond where you throw your hook in for a couple of hours only to buy a dead fish off a nearby stand afterwards.
You get a dead fish, but you didn't go there for that. You went there to FISH and GET a fish as an intrinsic reward.
But how can you have fun doing that knowing there is no fish to be had ?
Except you are in a pond with some fish and you catch some fish. The problem is that the fish you catch are not the fish you wanted to catch. So what do you do? You go to a nearby stall buying fish and sell your fish and then go to a stall selling the fish you want and buy those.

I think you do not understand how the auction house works.

Level 5
diablo iii profits from hackers because of RMAH and hackers profit as well thus Blizzard Entertainment is endorsing crime and should be brought to court

this will only be rectified if the expansion brings back decard cain and scraps the RAMH

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
diablo iii profits from hackers because of RMAH and hackers profit as well thus Blizzard Entertainment is endorsing crime and should be brought to court
So you are saying a supermarket profits from hackers and should be brought to court? They also accept stolen credit cards (same as stolen accounts) as long as it is not noticeable that they are stolen.

this will only be rectified if the expansion brings back decard cain and scraps the RAMH
RMAH is not really a problem. Blizzard does not sell anything directly. Also Diablo II also had about 20 more risky third party RMAH which saw millions of dollars of exchange. The RMAH is vital and necessary for the success of Diablo III as it stifles the ability for third parties to profit from it. And when Third parties make RMAH of their own, then hackers are really encouraged. Blizzard even proved this by comparing hacking rates in countries with RMAH and those without, saying that those without had absolutely uncontrollable hacking instances. You see, these third party RMAH serves not only do exactly what the RMAH does in Diablo III, but also comprise people's accounts and encourages the theft of accounts because they keep 100% of the profit without any of the checks Blizzard does for RMAH transactions. Thus if anything Blizzard is discouraging hacking with the RMAH as it is not worth the effort.

Botting on the other hand is a different problem. It is now easier to sell stuff so botting is more profitable. Or you would think that as prices are lower because it is easier.

They said you didn't need to buy Wings of Liberty to play HotS, does that hold true for this expansion and the vanilla?
Not sure, they have not finalized the details. Many of the features seen will actually be back-ported to Diablo III, including item 2.0 and account paragon levels with paragon points. So far the only confirmed expansion features are...
1. Crusader class
2. Mystic
3. Act 5
4. Level 70 cap
5. New skills for all classes

I am guessing that it will include some hidden features as well.
1. Special random dungeons.
2. New stash pages.
3. New recipes.

I loved both Diablo 1 and 2. I did not hate Diablo 3, but I didn't like it as much as 1 and 2.
The actual gameplay was decent. Could use improvement, but decent. Better itemization and drop rates with better design, not just higher drop rates, would have made it great.

The story, however, was my big problem with the game. It seemed really lackluster compared to the previous two games. The villains seemed weak and cartoonish, and Diablo as a franchise has been made by it's villians. It also didn't have a dark enough atmosphere for a diablo game.
The story made the game much less fun. You had to constantly go through it while farming, and it was VERY intrusive. In Diablo 1, the story was basically optional and was told to you indirectly.
I'm willing to give Reaper of Souls the benefit of the doubt. I never like to make too many assumptions about things.

Level 37
The trouble with the AH is that you're competing against the drops of 100 000 (or whatever big number) other players. As there is so much items in circulation, almost anything you will find is not valuable.

Let's say you have to farm 40 hours to get the legendary item you want. You check the AH and see that the item sells for 100 000 gold. You can get that much gold in a single run, it's basically nothing. The item is only valuable if it gets the right affix out of a pool of 20+ affixes and you have to get high random rolls on the stats both on the native stats and the random affix stats. It is safe to say, it won't happen for you. But it has happened to many of the 10+ million D3 players.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It is safe to say, it won't happen for you.
I have found a 2-4 billion gold HC ring (or at least it was worth that before expansion announcement)...

I do agree drops are stupid, but in the end it still comes down to the amount of time played. This is just like Diablo II. In Diablo II if you had a single HR drop your entire ladder session (especially Vex, as it was needed in Enigma and most top rune words) you were made as you could kit your character out with pretty top end stuff. This is still the case with Diablo III finding a good rare or legendary item, just there are no such rigged runes anymore.

People with 40 billion likely spent 10 times as long, on average, then someone with only 4 billion. Sure luck dictates that some newbie might find 2 of the best items in existence worth >100 billion within 1 minute of Act 1 Inferno but averages dictate that gold = time.

With proper farming techniques you should easily be able to get >1 million gold an hour. This includes top end gear and maximum paragon levels.

Level 14
Tyrael:Since justice has been met this day, I will now stand as Wisdom!

Itherael: Whoa, whoa, Tyrael, wait a minute - who said you get to be wisdom now? Wisdom my ass! Maybe you should just read some books and... man, I don't know, sit around and think about the bad stuff that your lack of wisdom caused in Act 1 before you declare yourself wisdom incarnate. Maybe that first?

Main reason of the expansion. :grin:

p.s. Auction house goes down on march 2014. FOREVER

Status
Not open for further replies.